Search PDF content, working in MS Windows File Explorer but no in XYplorer, reason?

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
mbigger

Search PDF content, working in MS Windows File Explorer but no in XYplorer, reason?

Post by mbigger »

Another basic MS Windows File Explorer functionality which I'm trying to replicate in XYplorer: I can search within the content of PDF in MS Windows File Explorer but not in XYplorer. Why not?

jupe

Re: Search PDF content, working in MS Windows File Explorer but no in XYplorer, reason?

Post by jupe »

Enable both of these:

Configuration | Other | Shell Integration | 64-bit Windows | Use 64-bit IFilters for content search
Configuration | Other | Shell Integration | 64-bit Windows | Fall back to IFilters of the other bitness

mbigger

Re: Search PDF content, working in MS Windows File Explorer but no in XYplorer, reason?

Post by mbigger »

XYexplorer freezes once content search in a folder reaches a particular PDF. Only possible then to force quit XYexplorer through Task Manager. What is?

That PDF can be downloaded from:

https://www.upc.ch/pdf/support/de/manua ... orizon.pdf

jupe

Post by jupe »

What PDF Reader are you using Adobe, Foxit, etc?

It is probably an issue with their iFilter (which XY makes use of). I am using Sumatra personally, and I have no crash when searching that PDF. As a way to mitigate the issue you can change your installed PDF reader, or if you know how to manually register dll's you can just register the iFilter from a different PDF reader while keeping your current reader installed.

mbigger

Post by mbigger »

I use Adobe Acrobat DC.

Searching that particular directory, including that specific PDF, with MS Windows File Explorer runs without freeze.

jupe

Post by jupe »

Adobe is known to cause issues, their shell plugins are notorious for having bugs. Strange it doesn't freeze Explorer, but they probably test with Explorer only, and not 3rd party apps, it doesn't mean the issue is definitively within XY.

As a troubleshooting step you could try disabling this:

Configuration | Other | Shell Integration | 64-bit Windows | Fall back to IFilters of the other bitness

but I doubt it will fix the freeze, and I'd recommend keeping it enabled if you find there is no change in behavior.

Captain Canada

Post by Captain Canada »

jupe wrote: 07 Jan 2021 05:51 What PDF Reader are you using Adobe, Foxit, etc?

It is probably an issue with their iFilter (which XY makes use of). I am using Sumatra personally, and I have no crash when searching that PDF. As a way to mitigate the issue you can change your installed PDF reader, or if you know how to manually register dll's you can just register the iFilter from a different PDF reader while keeping your current reader installed.
----
Hello, I appear to have similar issues; both Windows Explorer and XYplorer either freeze or crash when previewing pdfs, and I believe that I'm using Adobe's reader; I have Adobe Acrobat XI Pro, and the Adobe Reader pgmme comes alive in Task Manager if I preview a PDF w/ XYplorer, even if Adobe Acrobat isn't running. I'm running Win10 21H2.

I have no idea how to change the PDF reader; does this amount to getting another PDF reader and designating it as the default pgmme to read .pdf files, or is there more to it?