Need 12-15 simple examples of XY usage for demo

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Need 12-15 simple examples of XY usage for demo

Post by j_c_hallgren »

I'm looking at trying to put together a quick "PowerPoint" (slide) presentation of XY that could be used at a computer club here...and that could also be possibly included in an online/print club newsletter...I'm not a member of either club, but have made recent connections with both club presidents, and they seem receptive to a short (10-15 min) demo.

So even though I've been using XY for 2+ yrs, there are obviously things/features that I don't use or rarely use which others may use frequently, so I'd not think of how best to show these.

My goal is to get about 12-15 of those features that make XY stand out from other products (and Win Expl), and...which also can be used (or at least understood) by people who are not at all computer geeks and who are a bit older, but who would still benefit from XY.

I'm sure there are enough things that qualify...I'm looking at making a "Here's a problem" --> "Here's the solution" for each, and which could be demonstrated by no more than (ideally) two screen shots for problem/solution.

The example that I'm going to definitely use is the one that led me to XY:
I needed to find files all changed in last 10 minutes, and Win Expl only searches by date, not time.

It's things like that I could use...MDBU (Mouse Down Blow Up) could be a second...Catalog as third??
So what would YOU give as example to a non-geek? BTW, this means no network stuff, and possibly no portability items either.

Thanks!
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Need 12-15 simple examples of XY usage for demo

Post by admin »

Hey, that's a very good question and a project! Actually I often find myself in the position (Non-geek: "You make a file manager? What's so great about your file manager? Explorer is totally enough for me." -- Donald: :roll: )

I will think of answers (it's actually quite the thinking I need to employ to work on the "Tour"), and I hope other will add some as well.

For starters:
(1) easily control font size by Ctrl+Wheel.
(2) coloring of file types (color filters)
(3) tree coloring (highlight, box)
(4) safe mode ("disallow dragging from tree and list") -- yes, I know that some users are happy about this option
(5) Hotlist
(6) Favorites
(7) Quick search through address bar
( 8 ) Visual Filters
(9) multi-tabs (especially locked+renamed tabs)
(10) Rename: Spaces to _

ogroeger

Post by ogroeger »

(11) Catalog: Bring together what you need (I use it both for quick access to folders as well as launcher for applications)
(12) Preview: See quickly what is in a file

graham

Post by graham »

for me the preview of jpg files and blow up - it always impresses people I have shown XY.

Also, a script to update XY using a bat file and obviously can be adapted for other file updates/transfers.

Maybe a script for backup purposes - attached the one I use for XYPlorer to selected drive.

Not saying these are guaranteed but they work for me and save a lot of time.

--------------------------------- script file update xyp
//script to update XYPlorer version

//script

"script to update XYPlorer to latest version"

msg "update XYPlorer version",1;

//save XYplorer settings
status "save XYPlorer settings";
#182;
status "Call bat program and update XYPlorer";
//call a bat file to download new version
//update XYPlorer.exe,.hlp.tipoftheday.htm files
open C:\Program Files\XYplorer\autoupdate\update XYplorer.bat;

//end script

----------------------XP Home version bat file for xyp update
@ECHO OFF
IF EXIST xyplorer_6.80_beta_noinstall.zip DEL xyplorer_6.80_beta_noinstall.zip
ECHO Downloading newest beta...
WGET -q "http://www.xyplorer.com/download/xyplor ... nstall.zip"

ECHO Closing xyplorer

TSKILL XYPlorer

ECHO.

UNZIP -o xyplorer_6.80_beta_noinstall.zip XYplorer.exe -d "C:\Program Files\XYPlorer\Autoupdate"
UNZIP -o xyplorer_6.80_beta_noinstall.zip XYplorer.hlp -d "C:\Program Files\XYPlorer\Autoupdate"
UNZIP -o xyplorer_6.80_beta_noinstall.zip tipoftheday.htm -d "C:\Program Files\XYPlorer\Autoupdate"
ECHO Replacing with new version of XYPlorer

COPY /y xyplorer.exe "c:\program files\xyplorer"
COPY /y xyplorer.hlp "c:\program files\xyplorer"
COPY /y tipoftheday.htm "c:\program files\xyplorer"

ECHO Starting XYPlorer
cd\
cd Program Files\XYplorer
START XYplorer.exe

----------------------------backup xyp to selected drive
//XYPlorer Bu script list
// script
"script to BU XYPlorer data chosen drive"

status "Select drive to backup to";
msg "BU XYPlorer data (saves config settings first) to drive of choice",1;
input $drive, "Enter drive as C or D or...","C";
set $path, $drive:\BU XYPlorer\;
status "save XYPlorer settings";
goto C:\program files\xyplorer\;
#182;
backupto $path, C:\program files\xyplorer\;
goto $path;
status "Backup of XYPlorer files completed";

// end script

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

admin wrote:Hey, that's a very good question and a project!
Thanks! :D Although we both know that XY is great for the techie, it also can be handy for ordinary 'Joe Senior' so that's my possible target audience...folks age 50-80 attend these clubs and will buy things if there is a good presentation of how it would work for them
admin wrote:
For starters:
(1) easily control font size by Ctrl+Wheel.
(2) coloring of file types (color filters)
(4) safe mode ("disallow dragging from tree and list") -- yes, I know that some users are happy about this option
(5) Hotlist
(6) Favorites
(7) Quick search through address bar
( 8 ) Visual Filters
(9) multi-tabs (especially locked+renamed tabs)
(10) Rename: Spaces to _
ok...here's my comments on these:
1) doesn't apply to laptop/touchpad users plus many folks never change it
2) yes, that's a good one!
3) mabe a bit less used than #2
4) hummmm...not for newbies, I think
5) yes, another valid one!
6) Catalog has somewhat replaced that but still useful...yes...
7) not typical for oldsters, I suspect
8 ) yes, I'll do that also..
9) of course!
10) I think the URL convert is also a similar good one.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

jacky
XYwiki Master

Post by jacky »

Hope you won't mind a few comments on a couple of your comments... ;)

jc: mabe a bit less used than #2

About this one, it might be me, but it might just also be that it's not something you're used to, since you don't find this anywhere else.
I know that I use those features a lot, I'm completely addicted!

The Boxed Branches allow to have "sections" of your Tree, so that you don't actually need to really remember paths : let's say my pictures are on D:\Perso\Pictures I could use a green box color, and now I can very easily locate my pictures on Tree, it's the green area. I know when I'm there without even really looking at Tree, no need to read anything, if it's green it's my pictures !
And along with a Catalog item using the same background color, I just click green to get there.

You can also have one color per drive, etc Pretty cool I think. Now really, of course I know my locations, but the colors are such an indredible time saver ! Everytime I find myself on another computer (without such colors and a Tree fully white), I realize how much it helps making things easier/faster.
I love that even more than Color Filters!

As for the Highlight, it's not only good to highlight (!) some folders but can also be used to indicate "states". I for one use it as such, and it's great to easily spot projects/folders where for example something needs to be fixed (in red), where it's a WIP (in blue), it's done (in green), it's waiting for external work (in yellow), etc

Pretty damn cool IMO. Just felt like ranting about how I love those features ;)

jc: hummmm...not for newbies, I think

Or, exactly for newbies, or just people who are not comfortable with drag&drop and afraid to start such an operation without realizing it or dropping something at the wrong location...

Also, about (1), I agree that the Ctrl+Wheel isn't probably that used, but that ability for users to define all fonts (and sizes) XY can use, including on Tree, List, etc (as well as row height) might be a real plus.
I'd say especially for people whose eyes aren't always as good as they used to be.
Proud XYplorer Fanatic

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

jacky wrote:Also, about (1), I agree that the Ctrl+Wheel isn't probably that used, but that ability for users to define all fonts (and sizes) XY can use, including on Tree, List, etc (as well as row height) might be a real plus.
I'd say especially for people whose eyes aren't always as good as they used to be.
Yes. And I could easily add a miscellaneous command for increasing/decreasing the font size by keyboard shortcut. Or even better: I just add it to the main menu under menu View/Font! Interested anybody?

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

admin wrote:And I could easily add a miscellaneous command for increasing/decreasing the font size by keyboard shortcut. Or even better: I just add it to the main menu under menu View/Font! Interested anybody?
I would think both those would be good as it would allow those who are keyboard fans to access it easier, and the menu option would be best for us touchpad folks...if it was available those ways, anyone and everyone could use it, 'cause now one must have a wheel, right?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

j_c_hallgren wrote:
admin wrote:And I could easily add a miscellaneous command for increasing/decreasing the font size by keyboard shortcut. Or even better: I just add it to the main menu under menu View/Font! Interested anybody?
I would think both those would be good as it would allow those who are keyboard fans to access it easier, and the menu option would be best for us touchpad folks...if it was available those ways, anyone and everyone could use it, 'cause now one must have a wheel, right?
No, you can set the font size via the Font dialog as well.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

admin wrote:No, you can set the font size via the Font dialog as well.
I was referring to the ability to match/simulate the Cntl+Wheel function where one can roll sizes up/down, or as in a browser, click a icon to bump/reduce size.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

j_c_hallgren wrote:
admin wrote:No, you can set the font size via the Font dialog as well.
I was referring to the ability to match/simulate the Cntl+Wheel function where one can roll sizes up/down, or as in a browser, click a icon to bump/reduce size.
I will add something like that.

fishgod

Post by fishgod »

j_c_hallgren wrote:ok...here's my comments on these:
1) doesn't apply to laptop/touchpad users plus many folks never change it
Until now, I never noticed that feature, and for me its defently not important, and yes, touchpads suck (but normal scrolling works normal on my Thinkpad T30). I carry an extra mouse with my laptop everywhere I go...
admin wrote:(10) Rename: Spaces to _
XY's renaming is extreamly more than that... Batch-Renamer, RegEx-Renamer are really very powerfull features which I use very often.

Don't forget the CKS!

Maybe I could post a longer list of features that are important for me, but everybody has to work some time with XY to see what to use regularly and what not...
Operating System: Win10 x64 / Win11 x64 / almost allways newest XY-beta
totally XYscripting-addicted

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

fishgod wrote:
admin wrote:(10) Rename: Spaces to _
XY's renaming is extreamly more than that... Batch-Renamer, RegEx-Renamer are really very powerfull features which I use very often.
Sure, but I understood these things should be attractive to absolute beginners.

zridling

Post by zridling »

As Don notes in the Help file, scripting ain't rocket science, and while it may not be attractive for beginners, showing them a simple script like "#254;#252;#169" could be a strong lure in the future:

#254 select by file type
#252 invert selection
#169 Del

graham

Post by graham »

zridling wrote:
As Don notes in the Help file, scripting ain't rocket science, and while it may not be attractive for beginners, showing them a simple script like "#254;#252;#169" could be a strong lure in the future:
I totally agree with that. When showing a product like XY to a new audience of course one demonstrates the routine stuff and things that are likely to be of immediate use. It is good however, to close with a showing of something which really demonstrates why XY is so special and a script here can leave your audience wanting more.

Scripting is very powerful and very dangerous in the wrong hands but if people are moving to a product like XY then they have some skills. I would suggest showing a script routine will be of great interest. I am hoping as scripting matures other experts here on the forum will provide ready made scripts and people like me will use these as a basis to do what I want. (example XY update came from Fishgod)

As an aside, if and when sample scripts appear, I do hope Jacki includes these in the Wiki. Same comment applies to RegExp routines which I just haven't the time or inclination to master learning. Fortunately there are guru's around who love this stuff to help me out - I use a great one provided by my email client writers but well beyond my comprehension - it works so I use it, now that is power to the casual user!

----------------------
email client RegExp ( as provided)

%SETPATTREGEXP="(?m-s)Date\:\s*?((.*?[\d]{4})\s*?%-
([\d]{0,2}\:[\d]{0,2}\:[\d]{0,2})\s*?(.*))"%-
%REGEXPBLINDMATCH="%HEADERS" On %ODATE at %-
%SUBPATT="3"GMT %SUBPATT="4" %- (which was %OTIME where I live) -
you wrote and made these points on the subject of - %OSUBJ:
<mid:%SETPATTREGEXP="<(.*)>"%REGEXPMATCH="%OMSGID"%->