Instance Specific Tags in GUI

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
nicholascueto

Instance Specific Tags in GUI

Post by nicholascueto »

I found a thread that explains how you can have discrete tagging databases for instances of xyplorer. However, the question was answered in reference to launching via the command line. I was wondering how to accomplish this in the GUI? Separately, but related, are there native profiles that can house this information? The purpose of all this being that, since I'm working from home, I'd like to use discrete tagging taxonomies for different use cases. I don't want to see my work tags show up for personal browsing and vice-versa. Specifically because the same tags could reference different files.

Long story short, anyone know if this functionality exists natively? I searched all over but couldn't find outside the MUT options and the aforementioned CLI solution.

Thank you!

jupe

Re: Instance Specific Tags in GUI

Post by jupe »

If I am understanding your query correctly, you should only need both these menu entries

File | Settings Special | Save Tags
Tags | Load Tags Database...

you may also be interested in this instead for saving:

Configuration | General | Startup & Exit | Save Settings | Save changes to disk immediately +[Apply To...]

In the "Load Tags Database" dialog you can now just enter the new name of the tag database that you want to load, and it will create it if it doesn't exist, from then on just switch between them, via MRU, it will ask you to save changes if necessary.

You could also script switching tag databases in a one click operation by looking up the scripting command tagload() in the Advanced Topics section of the help file if you are interested, of course tagexport() too.

nicholascueto

Post by nicholascueto »

I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the quick reply!

nicholascueto

Post by nicholascueto »

This worked almost perfectly. Is there any way to get the current tag list to switch when the db does?

highend

Post by highend »

Customize the toolbar, add the "Find by Tags" icon. Right click it, choose "Update Tag List"
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

nicholascueto

Post by nicholascueto »

Amazing. Thanks for being so helpful!

notabot

Post by notabot »

nicholascueto wrote: 02 Dec 2020 04:44MUT
jupe wrote: 02 Dec 2020 05:07MRU
Could these be added to the Glossary in the helpfile?

(MUT was 'defined' elsewhere in the help and I assume MRU is just Windows' Most Recently Used, but still ...)

jupe

Post by jupe »

When I used the term MRU I was just referring to the drop down list in the "Load Tags Database..." dialog, I thought it seemed obvious given the context, but I guess I was wrong. It isn't a XY specific term, I use it generically to refer to the dropdown lists, which are populated with your Most Recently Used selections in various dialogs.

MUT is in the glossary under "Multi-User-Tagging" I suppose the acronym could be added there.

notabot

Post by notabot »

jupe wrote: 14 Apr 2021 22:15 MUT is in the glossary under "Multi-User-Tagging" I suppose the acronym could be added there.
I think you ae talking about a different glossary. I meant the one below.
If thre is a better source of information for all the incrowd abbreviations used on this forum, please let me know.
Attachments
2021-04-15 01_06_43-Window.png
2021-04-15 01_06_43-Window.png (22.38 KiB) Viewed 1497 times

highend

Post by highend »

One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

jupe

Post by jupe »

You are right, I meant index.
Clipboard-15_04_2021.png
Clipboard-15_04_2021.png (4.09 KiB) Viewed 1493 times

notabot

Post by notabot »

That's better :) Thanks!

notabot

Post by notabot »

I see that in version 21.70 the Glossary is updated. Thanks!
(But unfortunately no feedback here ..)