xyplorer Freezes the windows 10 desktop

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
admin
Site Admin

Re: xyplorer Freezes the windows 10 desktop

Post by admin »

Thanks, finally it's tracked down! I assume the system is waiting for some response of XY. ATM I can't do anything here, but there is a chance it will be fixed in the future along with another very complex fix concerning system integration.

sheryl

Post by sheryl »

I don't know if it is related, but I get something a little similar.

Background:
I often create shortcuts to nested folders I want easy access to. I put them in related/parent directories that I want to easily navigate to/from. This is essential for memory purposes, and saves on typing or tons of navigation clicks. It works out very well for file dialog boxes in any app (especially when they choose the starting navigation directory), and for Explorer.
But, oddly, this standard functionality breaks in XYPlorer. TBH, I thought it worked fine years ago, though maybe it never did.

Behaviour:
When I click on a .lnk (shortcut) file from within XYPlorer, it does not navigate to the linked folder as expected. Instead it tries to Open every file in that folder in Notepad++ !!
So if it is a large folder (or a particularly large file), there is a hang, while Notepad++ goes about opening all files, or until Notepad++ asks:
395748 files are about to be opened.
Are you sure to open them?
Impact:
This is frustrating because not only do I often forget this will happen and regret that click, but also because I can find no easy way to navigate to the folder I made a shortcut to. Again, the shortcut (.lnk) is there because I frequently want direct navigation access to the linked folders when I am in that particular directory.

If anyone has a great workaround until this bug is fixed, Please Let me Know !!
Believe it or not...
XYplorer was a decider, keeping me on Windows vs switching to Apple.
I *really* did not want to loose access to XYPlorer! Everyone (especially programmers) should know about and have access to XYPlorer file explorer!

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

I don't usually work with shortcuts but just created one to test your problem.
Dbl-Click on the .lnk file changed the location of the current tab to the destination of the shortcut and Back brought me back to the original location.
In short, I can't confirm your problem on my system.

Could it be that you have somehow associated .lnk within XY to be seen as a text file?
Configuration / Previewed Formats / Text Files or Custom File Associations (CFA) come to mind as a starting point.
The locations where your folders and respective shortcuts reside might also be relevant.
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

Rammu

Post by Rammu »

Hi! I'm brand new to XYplorer still debating if I want to buy it.

This issue is a major deal breaker for me though, as I very frequently right click shortcuts and use open file location.

However with XYplorer's integration active, which is the only real way I'm interested in using it, its constantly bringing my computer to a frozen standstill.

This issue seems to be rather old, has their been any progress in the background?
or
could integration be altered so that XYploerer didn't intercept the open location calls?
or
is there a registry entry that could be modified in windows that would re-write the open location menu option so that it acted like a normal link that XYploerer worked well with?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

These are all good questions but I cannot answer them since there is no documentation on this by Microsoft. :|

PixelDrop

Post by PixelDrop »

My crazy fix for this:

grab filetypesman-x64 from nirsoft

Hopefully know more than me and make a better bat file then this:

Code: Select all

@echo off
Set Shortcut=%*
echo set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")>DecodeShortCut.vbs
echo set Lnk = WshShell.CreateShortcut(WScript.Arguments.Unnamed(0))>>DecodeShortCut.vbs
echo wscript.Echo Lnk.TargetPath>>DecodeShortCut.vbs
set vbscript=cscript //nologo DecodeShortCut.vbs
For /f "delims=" %%T in ( ' %vbscript% "%Shortcut%" ' ) do set target=%%~dpT
del DecodeShortCut.vbs

start /d "" "P:\xyplorer\XYplorer.exe" "%target%"
Save the bat something you'll remember like OpenLocationXY.bat

Than add action to the .lnk file type using filetypesman.
2022-11-08_094209_001.png
2022-11-08_094209_001.png (159.49 KiB) Viewed 423 times
After that you should have a nice new context menu option that will open shortcut locations without freezing the desktop.
2022-11-08_094418.png
2022-11-08_094418.png (182.46 KiB) Viewed 423 times
Does have the side effect of blinking a CMD window though.

PSA:
I cobbled this together and have very little idea of what I'm doing. I have little doubt that it could be done better.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Did not test it, but congrats if it works for you! :tup: