XYplorer slow to open . . .

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
Shodan816

XYplorer slow to open . . .

Post by Shodan816 »

XYplorer has always been slow to open on my system - taking nearly 4 full seconds to open. Noticed Dcom using a lot of CPU power during this process, so I ASSUMED it was an issue between XYplorer and Dcom. I was wrong. Quite by accident, I stumbled across this setting in my XYplorer.ini file:

; Tweak: set to 1 to skip the check
AssumeServersExist=0

On a whim, I set this value to a '1' and BINGO - XYplorer now opens in about 1 second. So, if you find XYplorer taking more than a second or so to open, check this setting in your INI file. It may be the cause of your problem...

Gary

admin
Site Admin

Re: XYplorer slow to open . . .

Post by admin »

Cool! :D

I assume you had Configuration | Advanced | Cache network servers between sessions unchecked ? Because checking it should have the same speedy effect, I think (No time now to really check).

jacky
XYwiki Master

Post by jacky »

admin wrote:Cool! :D

I assume you had Configuration | Advanced | Cache network servers between sessions unchecked ? Because checking it should have the same speedy effect, I think (No time now to really check).
That setting is actually under Startup & Exit now, and no those aren't the same actually.

I beleive the option cache the list of servers (available in LM) instead of XY trying to list them all, but the INI Tweak prevents XY from checking whether or not each server actually exists and just assumes so. The first option is nice, but you really need to add the second one to see some fantastic speed improvments, yes!

Just compared a startup with & without it, that AssumeServersExist tweak alone makes my XY starts about 4 to 5 times faster!
Proud XYplorer Fanatic

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

jacky wrote:
admin wrote:Cool! :D

That setting is actually under Startup & Exit now, and no those aren't the same actually.

I beleive the option cache the list of servers (available in LM) instead of XY trying to list them all, but the INI Tweak prevents XY from checking whether or not each server actually exists and just assumes so. The first option is nice, but you really need to add the second one to see some fantastic speed improvments, yes!

Just compared a startup with & without it, that AssumeServersExist tweak alone makes my XY starts about 4 to 5 times faster!
Wow, thanks for explaining my program to me! :D :oops:

So I guess it would be a good idea to lift that tweak to config | Startup & Exit ...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

jacky wrote:Just compared a startup with & without it, that AssumeServersExist tweak alone makes my XY starts about 4 to 5 times faster!
Are you starting on a network path?

jacky
XYwiki Master

Post by jacky »

admin wrote:So I guess it would be a good idea to lift that tweak to config | Startup & Exit ...
yeah, it would probably be a good idea...
admin wrote:
jacky wrote:Just compared a startup with & without it, that AssumeServersExist tweak alone makes my XY starts about 4 to 5 times faster!
Are you starting on a network path?
Nope. But I do have on my Network Cache one or two servers that are actually missing ATM, so that may explain why when checking for them it does slow things down. Maybe a more accurate test should be one done when I remove those, but maybe not : after all that's the whole point of those settings (or one of their goals at least), to get XY incredibly fast even when servers are missing, isn't it?
Proud XYplorer Fanatic

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

jacky wrote:
admin wrote:So I guess it would be a good idea to lift that tweak to config | Startup & Exit ...
yeah, it would probably be a good idea...
Though about it again:
1) it does not belong in Startup & Exit
2) maybe I should just default it to assume, and let you tweak it to not-assume!? For this I need to know: what is the downside of "assume servers exist"? (I cannot test this here...)

jacky
XYwiki Master

Post by jacky »

admin wrote:2) maybe I should just default it to assume, and let you tweak it to not-assume!? For this I need to know: what is the downside of "assume servers exist"? (I cannot test this here...)
Well, I may not be thinking of everything, but I think it's highly possible that when accessing network locations, there might be some time differences. Although I tried a couple things just now & didn't really noticed anything, but with OS cache it might be hard to tell sometimes.
But if XY always assume server exists, when enabled it should always be faster, I would imagine, so no downside.

Other that that, the main downside I can think of is that when I try to go to "\\not_here" (server) I get
- AssumeServersExist=0 : the usual "location not available" thing on List, with little overlay on Tree's server icon
- AssumeServersExist=1 : an empty List, no message of any kind. (although the "\\server\not here" will get me the usual error message, as with AssumeServersExist=0)
Proud XYplorer Fanatic

jacky
XYwiki Master

Post by jacky »

I had typed something, then realized I was wrong so I erased it and now no one will ever read it. But since I'm here, I feel like I should say someting anyway, so...
BTW I think AssumeServersExist also allows one to see servers that otherwise XY thinks do not exists, although they do. That is, if I just read the history right...

--

And, as George Costanza would say, this is what I should have said! :
admin wrote:I assume you had Configuration | Advanced | Cache network servers between sessions unchecked ?
But that setting is actually under Startup & Exit now... Hey Don, what version of XY are you using ? You should check out the latest beta, you'll be amazed by all that's been added since your obviously "pretty old" (at least a couple of months)version! :P ;)

Really, you'll be blown away. And everyone who agrees can say so...
Proud XYplorer Fanatic