Crashing Regularly

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
admin
Site Admin

Re: Crashing Regularly

Post by admin »

Okay, let's go another way. There are only 2 known causes for such crashes:
1. previewing PDFs using Adobe preview handlers
2. showing the shell context menu (= right-click a file) with faulty shell extensions installed

Both can be easily avoided:
1. don't preview PDF (turn off Hover Box to be sure: untick "Configuration | Information | File Info Tips & Hover Box | Show Hover Box")
2. tick "Configuration | General | Menus, Mouse, Usability | Context Menus | Hide shell extensions from shell context menu"

If you do that and still get crashes you have discovered something new.

mikeshick

Post by mikeshick »

Yes...that would likely be it. I seldom preview the pdf's. I have fox previewer installed, but I can't remember using it and crashing. Most of the time this is off.

I do have the context menu turned on, and that very well may be the culprit.

However, I'm not sure what gives. I love the XYplorer. But I also need the use of the context menu. How might I go about cleaning it up so that I don't have to forgo one or the other?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I'm not sure I understand. Have you verified now that the context menu is the culprit? (= no crashes a) as long you do not open that context menu at all, or b) when you hide shell extensions from the context menu)

mikeshick

Post by mikeshick »

I have not verified this yet. I only acknowledged that I do have. I did not previously see the option of right clicking and then showing the 64 bit context menu on the fly. That might be the better option for me.

I'll keep you posted. No crashes yesterday. Only slowed down entry into files. This too is an issue from time to time, as the speed of entry into folders does not always match the speed using windows explorer. Sometimes, entry into folders and subfolders hangs for a bit.

Would you know why this slowness occurs?

highend

Post by highend »

Visible extra columns, custom columns, .exe files in XYplorers folder not excluded from your antivirus solution...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes, exclude from AV is essential for speed:
https://www.xyplorer.com/faq-topic.php?id=mse

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

mikeshick wrote: 17 Sep 2020 12:29 I have not verified this yet.
The is the first step. Otherwise I cannot help you. :|

mikeshick

Post by mikeshick »

Sure, I understand. By not verifying, that is not to say that I didn't use the 64-bit context menu yesterday or today, it is simply that I didn't crash yesterday, which was somewhat abnormal. So, I'll keep my eye on it.

I do have the files excluded in my virus protection.

My columns only include filename, ext, size, created date, modified date. Too much?

I think the slowness goes away when removing show 64 bit menu. So that might be the culprit. I just can't say using the context menu is 100% or even any percent of the crashing I've experience, unless simply having the toggle on in settings is enough to create instability.

Do you recommend something different?

I still think that what is difficult to ascertain is that crashing always follows the same action.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The 64-bit context menu will not crash XYplorer since it is a separate process. You will only get context-menu-induced crashes with the 32-bit menu. So if the crashes stopped that kind of a proof that shell extensions in the 32-bit menu were the culprit. There are ways to check and remove them one by one.

The folder listing is still slow after excluding the app from AV and without any heavy columns in the list? That's weird. It should be much faster than File Explorer. I know it sounds stupid, but: Try to reboot Windows.

mikeshick

Post by mikeshick »

Ah...I'm sorry. I reread your post about the context menu, and I misunderstood. I turned off the 64-bit not the 32 bit extensions.

It seems that crashing stopped yesterday by chance, not from the 32 bit menu being off. Sorry for the confusion.

I'll turn off the 32 bit today, and see what happens.

Inadvertently, I do notice that the shortcut menu when 64-bit is on takes about a 1.5 second to open up, which is slower than when the 64-bit extensions are off. When the 64-bit context menu if off, it's instantaneous. Is that behavior expected?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

While 1.5 seconds is unusually long, it is indeed expected that the 64-bit menu opens slower than the 32-bit menu. That's because it runs in its own process that has to be started first. This can be improved one day, the plans are already in my drawer.

mikeshick

Post by mikeshick »

That's great. I suppose I can just leave it off, and use the option to show on the fly. I do use the context menu a lot, but not necessary the 64-bit.

Sometimes it just takes time to do things differently after lots of years doing it another way. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for all your kind support.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, it's not necessary to do things differently. It's just necessary to find that faulty 3rd party shell extension and remove it. :)

mikeshick

Post by mikeshick »

ok....do you have a recommendation for removing them?

highend

Post by highend »

One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal