Page 1 of 1

Auto-Expand selected branch

Posted: 06 Feb 2008 16:56
by ryanagler
How can I make XY behave like Explorer, whereas a single-click on a folder in the tree automatically expands its immediate subfolders? I'm not so worried about collapsing them back like Explorer does (in fact, id rather not have them auto-collapse), but the single-click auto-expand is a must. Any ideas?

Re: Auto-Expand selected branch

Posted: 06 Feb 2008 17:19
by jacky
ryanagler wrote:How can I make XY behave like Explorer, whereas a single-click on a folder in the tree automatically expands its immediate subfolders? I'm not so worried about collapsing them back like Explorer does (in fact, id rather not have them auto-collapse), but the single-click auto-expand is a must. Any ideas?
I don't think this is possible (yet)... Option "Expand destination node on Tree" doesn't apply for click on Tree (which I like), maybe an INI Tweak could help here... but I don't think there is one as of now.

Posted: 06 Feb 2008 18:09
by PeterH
Isn't it enough to click the + in front of the folder?
(Or didn't I understand the question?)
Difference: the folder will not be selected. But if I want to select the folder I click it, if I want to expand it I don't want / don't need to select it.
(And I think, default in WE ist to expand on DoubleClick or also on clicking + ?)

Posted: 06 Feb 2008 18:43
by ryanagler
PeterH wrote:Isn't it enough to click the + in front of the folder?
No, for two reasons: A.) it is much more tedious to have to aim for the plus when you want to navigate fast, and B.) clicking on the plus does not cause the folders' contents to appear in the right-hand list pane.
PeterH wrote: Difference: the folder will not be selected. But if I want to select the folder I click it, if I want to expand it I don't want / don't need to select it.
(And I think, default in WE ist to expand on DoubleClick or also on clicking + ?)
WE in XP default behavior is to expand on single click. Of course it is possible to achieve the same end result through your suggestions, but in terms of productivity and reducing the clicks required to achieve a certain task auto-expand is preferable for someone who has to navigate a myriad of files and directories every day. Often it is the case where my decision to keep drilling down on subfolders depends on if i see a certain file in the current folder in the right-hand list pane.

Posted: 06 Feb 2008 19:59
by admin
ryanagler wrote:
PeterH wrote:Isn't it enough to click the + in front of the folder?
No, for two reasons: A.) it is much more tedious to have to aim for the plus when you want to navigate fast, and B.) clicking on the plus does not cause the folders' contents to appear in the right-hand list pane.
PeterH wrote: Difference: the folder will not be selected. But if I want to select the folder I click it, if I want to expand it I don't want / don't need to select it.
(And I think, default in WE ist to expand on DoubleClick or also on clicking + ?)
WE in XP default behavior is to expand on single click. Of course it is possible to achieve the same end result through your suggestions, but in terms of productivity and reducing the clicks required to achieve a certain task auto-expand is preferable for someone who has to navigate a myriad of files and directories every day. Often it is the case where my decision to keep drilling down on subfolders depends on if i see a certain file in the current folder in the right-hand list pane.
Okay, I see your point. If the folder is already expanded, what happens? Nothing, right?

Posted: 06 Feb 2008 20:11
by ryanagler
admin wrote:Okay, I see your point. If the folder is already expanded, what happens? Nothing, right?
Nothing in the tree, correct! However, if a folder in the tree does not have the focus but is already expanded (i.e. its immediate subfolders are visible below it in the tree and it has a minus sign next to it), when you click on that folder in the tree so that it recieves focus nothing should happen in the tree, but the right-hand list pane should update to show the folders contents.

Posted: 06 Feb 2008 20:52
by admin
ryanagler wrote:
admin wrote:Okay, I see your point. If the folder is already expanded, what happens? Nothing, right?
Nothing in the tree, correct! However, if a folder in the tree does not have the focus but is already expanded (i.e. its immediate subfolders are visible below it in the tree and it has a minus sign next to it), when you click on that folder in the tree so that it recieves focus nothing should happen in the tree, but the right-hand list pane should update to show the folders contents.
Sure. I'll add an option to auto-expand tree nodes on click.

Posted: 07 Feb 2008 08:53
by admin
Today's version will have that feature. It's quite nice actually.

Posted: 07 Feb 2008 14:55
by ryanagler
admin wrote:Today's version will have that feature. It's quite nice actually.
awwwwesome, thanks!

Re: Auto-Expand selected branch

Posted: 06 Jul 2020 10:30
by mikeshick
How does one accomplish auto expanding all subfolders of a main folder?

Re: Auto-Expand selected branch

Posted: 06 Jul 2020 10:41
by Filehero
mikeshick wrote:
06 Jul 2020 10:30
How does one accomplish auto expanding all subfolders of a main folder?
Right mouse click on main folder > expand > select expansion action.

Prerequisite: Expansions are assigned under Configuration > General > Menus, Mouse, Usability > Context Menus