Auto-Expand selected branch

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
ryanagler

Auto-Expand selected branch

Post by ryanagler »

How can I make XY behave like Explorer, whereas a single-click on a folder in the tree automatically expands its immediate subfolders? I'm not so worried about collapsing them back like Explorer does (in fact, id rather not have them auto-collapse), but the single-click auto-expand is a must. Any ideas?

jacky
XYwiki Master

Re: Auto-Expand selected branch

Post by jacky »

ryanagler wrote:How can I make XY behave like Explorer, whereas a single-click on a folder in the tree automatically expands its immediate subfolders? I'm not so worried about collapsing them back like Explorer does (in fact, id rather not have them auto-collapse), but the single-click auto-expand is a must. Any ideas?
I don't think this is possible (yet)... Option "Expand destination node on Tree" doesn't apply for click on Tree (which I like), maybe an INI Tweak could help here... but I don't think there is one as of now.
Proud XYplorer Fanatic

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

Isn't it enough to click the + in front of the folder?
(Or didn't I understand the question?)
Difference: the folder will not be selected. But if I want to select the folder I click it, if I want to expand it I don't want / don't need to select it.
(And I think, default in WE ist to expand on DoubleClick or also on clicking + ?)

ryanagler

Post by ryanagler »

PeterH wrote:Isn't it enough to click the + in front of the folder?
No, for two reasons: A.) it is much more tedious to have to aim for the plus when you want to navigate fast, and B.) clicking on the plus does not cause the folders' contents to appear in the right-hand list pane.
PeterH wrote: Difference: the folder will not be selected. But if I want to select the folder I click it, if I want to expand it I don't want / don't need to select it.
(And I think, default in WE ist to expand on DoubleClick or also on clicking + ?)
WE in XP default behavior is to expand on single click. Of course it is possible to achieve the same end result through your suggestions, but in terms of productivity and reducing the clicks required to achieve a certain task auto-expand is preferable for someone who has to navigate a myriad of files and directories every day. Often it is the case where my decision to keep drilling down on subfolders depends on if i see a certain file in the current folder in the right-hand list pane.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

ryanagler wrote:
PeterH wrote:Isn't it enough to click the + in front of the folder?
No, for two reasons: A.) it is much more tedious to have to aim for the plus when you want to navigate fast, and B.) clicking on the plus does not cause the folders' contents to appear in the right-hand list pane.
PeterH wrote: Difference: the folder will not be selected. But if I want to select the folder I click it, if I want to expand it I don't want / don't need to select it.
WE in XP default behavior is to expand on single click. Of course it is possible to achieve the same end result through your suggestions, but in terms of productivity and reducing the clicks required to achieve a certain task auto-expand is preferable for someone who has to navigate a myriad of files and directories every day. Often it is the case where my decision to keep drilling down on subfolders depends on if i see a certain file in the current folder in the right-hand list pane.
Okay, I see your point. If the folder is already expanded, what happens? Nothing, right?

ryanagler

Post by ryanagler »

admin wrote:Okay, I see your point. If the folder is already expanded, what happens? Nothing, right?
Nothing in the tree, correct! However, if a folder in the tree does not have the focus but is already expanded (i.e. its immediate subfolders are visible below it in the tree and it has a minus sign next to it), when you click on that folder in the tree so that it recieves focus nothing should happen in the tree, but the right-hand list pane should update to show the folders contents.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

ryanagler wrote:
admin wrote:Okay, I see your point. If the folder is already expanded, what happens? Nothing, right?
Nothing in the tree, correct! However, if a folder in the tree does not have the focus but is already expanded (i.e. its immediate subfolders are visible below it in the tree and it has a minus sign next to it), when you click on that folder in the tree so that it recieves focus nothing should happen in the tree, but the right-hand list pane should update to show the folders contents.
Sure. I'll add an option to auto-expand tree nodes on click.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Today's version will have that feature. It's quite nice actually.

ryanagler

Post by ryanagler »

admin wrote:Today's version will have that feature. It's quite nice actually.
awwwwesome, thanks!

mikeshick

Post by mikeshick »

How does one accomplish auto expanding all subfolders of a main folder?

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

mikeshick wrote: 06 Jul 2020 10:30 How does one accomplish auto expanding all subfolders of a main folder?
Right mouse click on main folder > expand > select expansion action.

Prerequisite: Expansions are assigned under Configuration > General > Menus, Mouse, Usability > Context Menus