Extreme laggy response and Excluding XY processes - security risk?

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
rpnfan

Extreme laggy response and Excluding XY processes - security risk?

Post by rpnfan »

It is suggested to exclude XYplorer.exe and XYcopy.exe from the scanned processes of a virus scanner.

On my company laptop I have no rights to do that by myself, so I have to ask the admin. He will surely not do this if this introduces extra security risks. We use Sophos (not Defender).

Is the exclusion of those two processes a security risk?

What other option do I have? When copying a small zip file (80kB) I need to wait for between 10 to 40 seconds. This is very frustrating and in stark contrast to the snappy copying when I use Salamander. So I doubt that disabling the Virus scanner will make a difference, when other file managers copy in the blink of an eye....

What can I do? XY is one of the best file managers. In theory. In practice I struggle with the extreme slow response and often hanging of the program.

EDIT - Updated information:
I played around with "Use Custom copy". That seemed to quicken up the process. But that speedy behavior is not completly consistent, but mostly the speed is better. When using an external copy handler (TeraCopy) the speed is consistently quick.

I also found that it seems to make a difference (with XY as a copy handler) if I drag'n drop a file to another closed tab -- which is quick. When I drag 'n drop the file to the same tab, but wait till the new tab opens -- then it get's slow. Also copying from one pane to the other pane can be painfully (no pun intended) slow, but also not always. No idea why this behavior is so inconsistent.

EDIT 2: Now the same file copies quick, also with XY as the copy handler.

Another -- maybe related problem -- is that sometimes a copied file is not visible directly after the copy / move process. I then have to refresh the window by going to another folder and back to the original one -- so that the file finally shows up. In Explorer or other file managers the file is already visible, btw.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Extreme laggy response and Excluding XY processes - security risk?

Post by admin »

Please check again with the latest version.

rpnfan

Post by rpnfan »

I am just having again problems with extremly slow response of XY. When I move 6 small files (jpg, png) to a subfolder it takes more than 30 seconds till the operation completes. In that time XY is stuck and does not react at all.

This is with the latest version.

Using Explorer works without any lag. _After_ restarting windows (log off / on) XY reacts again as expected. I have these problems again and again from time to time and this is really frustrating.

What can be done to solve that problem? Could using hiberation mode be part of the cause?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

That's again using Custom Copy?

And is this ticked or not:
Configuration | File Operations | File Operations | Background Processing | Enable background processing

rpnfan

Post by rpnfan »

That's with the following settings:
schrott-file-operations.png
schrott-file-operations.png (166.93 KiB) Viewed 868 times

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I looked at this again. Can't see anything here that might cause this. I don't think it's anything I can fix.