[TOPIC CLOSED] +++ BREAKING NEWS: XY Switches Programming Language +++

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
admin
Site Admin

Re: +++ BREAKING NEWS: XY Switches Programming Language +++

Post by admin »

No, I'm currently just w-a-i-t-i-n-g for the next delivery. The first had to be returned because of a couple of mistakes. Wish I had a better story to tell. I keep you posted...

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

All the luck for the next run. :tup:

GitCoder

Post by GitCoder »

Take also a look at this modern UWP and open-source Windows Explorer clone (written in C#)
https://github.com/files-community/files-uwp

Certainly useful for learning

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

GitCoder wrote: 01 Jul 2020 22:25 Take also a look at this modern UWP and open-source Windows Explorer clone (written in C#)
https://github.com/files-community/files-uwp

Certainly useful for learning
Thanks, useful indeed! :tup:

giuliastar

Post by giuliastar »

hi
great news , have a amazing software like xyplorer under macos and linux is really :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup:

will be possibily have a 100% portable version for windows with the new code ?
thanks

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sure, it will be 100% portable.

giuliastar

Post by giuliastar »

admin wrote: 08 Jul 2020 08:40 Sure, it will be 100% portable.
hi
but seeing you are busy on coding for months , there will be no update with new feature in the meanwhile

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes.

BTW, I'm not coding for months, I've just been waiting for the code. I got it yesterday and I started coding today. :party:

Now I'm trying to get the GUI started. Nobody knows how long this will take. I keep you posted... :cup:

FKF5482

Post by FKF5482 »

The portable news is great indeed.

Good luck with the coding :)

jreynolds

Post by jreynolds »

admin wrote: 08 Jul 2020 11:55 Yes.

BTW, I'm not coding for months, I've just been waiting for the code. I got it yesterday and I started coding today. :party:

Now I'm trying to get the GUI started. Nobody knows how long this will take. I keep you posted... :cup:
Best of luck on the conversion. I was a long-time VB6, then VB.Net coder - finally making the break to C# a few years ago when Microsoft started basically treating it like a second-rate language, no matter how much they denied it. And then recently their statement, “Going forward, we do not plan to evolve Visual Basic as a language.” That was the killer if ever there was one.

In retrospect, I'm super glad I switched. The syntax (once you make the relatively minor adjustment) is simply easier to work with. Plugins from hugely useful editors like JetBrains Rider and Resharper work super well for C#, but are simply missing abilities (and they will never implement) for VB.Net. I find LINQ to be much more uselessly verbose and difficult to read in VB.Net compared to C#, plus most examples any more are given in C#.

Any of our older code bases I've had to convert from VB.Net to C# weren't too easy, either. Some of the better and/or free tools out there simply struggle with the conversion - I ended up rewriting swaths of things.

I'm sure you struggled with the same decision, but if not, it might be a good time to consider the syntax change.

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/vbteam/v ... r-net-5-0/

All the best,
--J

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I had thought about it, of course, but went for VB.Net now. There is a LOT of stuff in this code that just extends the limits of VB6. It will be easier for me to take care of that in a syntax I know by heart. The option to switch to C# is always there (even if some extra work is involved) and I have a gut feeling that I will go there one day.

I already noted that it's hard to find VB.Net samples. That's something I did not expect. VB6 (dead for 20 years) is still far better documented than VB.Net. So it looks like, I will read C# and write VB.Net (thank you, MS).

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

All fine here. Digging thru the code is like a trip thru a dusty attic. I have to face everything I did in recent years, like judgement day. Cannot give a date yet but I'm making progress, and I'm starting to like the new language. I'm sold, there's no way back. Worming thru towards the light.... :ninja: :cup:

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

Cool news. :tup:

Is the core gui already running?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Not yet. You'll get a screenshot when it happens. I'm very curious how it will look. Will it be even recognizable?

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

admin wrote: 16 Jul 2020 16:24 Will it be even recognizable?
Sure. I guess, dark mode by default. :biggrin: