[TOPIC CLOSED] +++ BREAKING NEWS: XY Switches Programming Language +++

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
mumajs

Re: +++ BREAKING NEWS: XY Switches Programming Language +++

Post by mumajs »

OK, instead of having xyplorer powerfull we have to eat drugs! I got your point!

kinook

Post by kinook »

GUIguy wrote: 24 Oct 2020 03:17 Sorry, kinook, but any product, open or closed source, is going to have to go a looooooong way to get anywhere near close to XYPlorer. It's just a fact!
To each his own. XY will never be native 64-bit or cross-platform as long as it's VB6. DoubleCommander is the next closest thing with both of those, and it's more than adequate for my needs.

Gandolf

Post by Gandolf »

GUIguy wrote: 24 Oct 2020 20:11 I recommend Tylenol.
Fentanyl is necessary for the pain caused by XY!

alan65

Post by alan65 »

Did I correctly read that the switch to 64-bit has been cancelled?

CyGho

Post by CyGho »

Yes!
Software: should we be aware because it's soft ? I like to think not !

mumajs

Post by mumajs »

That's right and it's sad, but it's not in our direction :cry:

sl23

Post by sl23 »

kger wrote: 17 Aug 2020 16:21 I have not read every post in this thread but did see at least one that was less than friendly. I applaud you for the effort, and want to say that I really enjoy XYplorer in its current state. Once in awhile over my programming career I have thought "I could make one of those programs that does X and release it", but then relent when I consider the sheer magnitude of user support that would be required, not to mention the abuse that inevitably gets hurled. (I am reminded of the saying, "No good deed goes unpunished.")

Keep up the great work, and know that plenty of us out here are paying, grateful customers.
ditto

sl23

Post by sl23 »

admin wrote: 19 Aug 2020 15:59 Damn, I could not really stop myself from trying again, and this time I got a good step further and it would actually load the main window (before crashing right away). So you cannot do that much with it, but hey, it's 64-bit and it looks cool in a purist way! So, here it is, 64-bit XYplorer, the first shot:
Wicked! :appl: What does it do? :titter:

sl23

Post by sl23 »

prino wrote: 19 Sep 2020 18:25 Probably useless, but again I would suggest you have a look at Delphi or Lazarus. There's a free community edition of the former available that you could use to give it a try, and Lazarus is of course free, and Romain Petges actually changed his Attribute Changer from a C++/Delphi application to one built with Lazarus.

And as for me, I may have mentioned this before, I've got one particular program that I keep up-to-date in both Pascal/x86 assembler and PL/I, although those languages are probably (significantly) closer than VB and Pascal.
I have used CubicExplorer for around 12 years now, the dev, Marco, was very receptive and a great guy. Much like Don appears to be.
It's a disappointment to hear this project won't be ported, but, after using a dead program for 9 years, I've found little problem with it. The main issue with CE is that it hangs a lot when copying/moving/unRARing stuff.

It was programmed in Delphi, I believe, which is compatible with Lazarus. I wanted to learn how to update it, but I just don't have the time nowadays! I even have the source code still!

But Lazarus seems like a good option, especially with CE being as good as it is. I only wish Marco had carried on the work, but personal issues were too much. Still, XY is a fantastic replacement and although there are some shortcomings for me and my workflow, which can be ironed out with scripting, it is a fantastic replacement and whether it gets ported or not, I'm glad to join the community.

You've been at this for a long time Don, I for one just hope you are still at this in twenty years! :D :D :D

skoxyplorer

Post by skoxyplorer »

admin wrote: 05 Apr 2020 18:08 Since .NET is cross-platform XYplorer will also run on MacOS and Linux
How you are going achieve this goal? Net Core is cross-platform, but UI (WinForms, WPF) is Windows-only. We are currently porting c# WinForms apps from Net Framework to Net Core.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You are right, that was a little optimistic. It does not matter anymore anyway.

GitCoder

Post by GitCoder »

Maybe this guy might be able to save you :biggrin:

https://twitter.com/radbasic/status/134 ... 88/photo/1

I also have some small vb6 projects and would just be amazed if i could open them with RadBasic

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

0.2.0 Pre-alpha... :whistle:

GitCoder

Post by GitCoder »

admin wrote: 08 Jan 2021 12:22 0.2.0 Pre-alpha... :whistle:
:naughty: better than nothing at all. :biggrin: :mrgreen:

Hmm...some other options

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks, but the topic is closed for me, and I will close this forum topic now as well.