[TOPIC CLOSED] +++ BREAKING NEWS: XY Switches Programming Language +++

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
GitCoder

Re: +++ BREAKING NEWS: XY Switches Programming Language +++

Post by GitCoder »

Pssst, I got it! I've hacked into Don's system :ninja: and took a first screen of the new .NET based XYplorer 64-bit

XYplorer leak! I think this is only the light version :eh: Don, where the hell is the dark mode? :shock:
xyp.png
xyp.png (12.3 KiB) Viewed 4940 times

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :beer: :beer: :beer: :party:

fizzybiz

Post by fizzybiz »

Request! Please ensure the new version is AutoHotkey-compatible! :)

Currently, I'm finding it really handy to automate some things in XY using AutoHotkey (e.g. this one I posted on MRU tabbing). This is possible because XY uses standard Windows controls in the UI which AutoHotkey can detect.

For example, currently the tab bar in XY is a control that AHK recognises as being called "ThunderRT6PictureBoxDC60":

Using that information, I can trigger an AHK script whenever the user clicks the mouse anywhere on the tab bar. The AHK script then sends a keypress to XY which is a hotkey for a User-Defined Command. In other words, I can run XY scripts triggered by user interactions - something XY can't do by itself, but AutoHotkey can fill in that gap. A really useful thing!

So please ensure that the new UI allows AHK to recognise individual UI controls. Unfortunately, some modern apps use UI frameworks like Electron, which are completely opaque to AutoHotkey and other automation s/ware. This makes people like me, who find AHK a huge help with productivity, very sad. :cry:

Many thanks for all your great work!
Last edited by fizzybiz on 20 Jul 2020 10:08, edited 1 time in total.

kunkel321

Post by kunkel321 »

fizzybiz wrote: 19 Jul 2020 09:44 Request! Please ensure the new version is AutoHotkey-compatible! :)
YES PLEASE !!!
ste(phen|ve) kunkel

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I don't use any UI frameworks.

paludis

Post by paludis »

Very interesting project, especially from a .NET coder's POV.

Couple recommendations, if I may:

Avoid targeting .NET Framework if possible. It is already known that .NET Framework 4.8 will be the last version and the future is going to be .NET Core / .NET 5.
.NET 5 is scheduled to be released November 2020, but the previews of it are already fully usable and even officially supported by Microsoft. I think right now, unless you are really forced to, it does not make sense to target something that is already known to be end of life.
https://devblogs.microsoft.com/dotnet/n ... re-of-net/

The same recommendation goes for VB.NET. It was already mentioned that it is a dead horse and I do share that sentiment. You will have a _much_ easier time with C# since it is much easier to find good code samples and advise (stackoverflow.com anyone..?).
So in my mind it is well worth spending that extra effort going down that C# way right from the start, it will be paid back in full.

Since you are coming from VB6 and from what I know about it, there is not much going on with multi-threading, http://www.albahari.com/threading/ is an execellent resource for information for the C# world.

Last but not least a question, since I could find it being mentioned anywhere:

What toolkit/framework is the UI being rendered in? WinForms, WPF, something else?

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

paludis wrote: 25 Jul 2020 22:08 What toolkit/framework is the UI being rendered in? WinForms, WPF, something else?
Right above your post.
admin wrote: 20 Jul 2020 09:36 I don't use any UI frameworks.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I meant 3rd party. I use WinForms.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

paludis wrote: 25 Jul 2020 22:08 Very interesting project, especially from a .NET coder's POV.

Couple recommendations, if I may:

Avoid targeting .NET Framework if possible. It is already known that .NET Framework 4.8 will be the last version and the future is going to be .NET Core / .NET 5.
.NET 5 is scheduled to be released November 2020, but the previews of it are already fully usable and even officially supported by Microsoft. I think right now, unless you are really forced to, it does not make sense to target something that is already known to be end of life.
https://devblogs.microsoft.com/dotnet/n ... re-of-net/

The same recommendation goes for VB.NET. It was already mentioned that it is a dead horse and I do share that sentiment. You will have a _much_ easier time with C# since it is much easier to find good code samples and advise (stackoverflow.com anyone..?).
So in my mind it is well worth spending that extra effort going down that C# way right from the start, it will be paid back in full.

Since you are coming from VB6 and from what I know about it, there is not much going on with multi-threading, http://www.albahari.com/threading/ is an execellent resource for information for the C# world.

Last but not least a question, since I could find it being mentioned anywhere:

What toolkit/framework is the UI being rendered in? WinForms, WPF, something else?
Thanks for the tips! Yes, I'm all for going C# finally. But step by step. First I have to get it running in VB. It's a LOT of work. We are talking 250,000 lines, and there are not many dupes among them. Switching to C# then should be easy (= fully automatic AFAIK).

Not sure about .NET Core. Currently my .NET knowlegde is still too small to say anything here.

fizzybiz

Post by fizzybiz »

admin wrote: 25 Jul 2020 22:58Not sure about .NET Core. Currently my .NET knowlegde is still too small to say anything here.
As an ASP.NET developer just getting into .NET core, I can totally relate. :)

mumajs

Post by mumajs »

Any "hot" news? :wink:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I'm digging, fixing, moving, bending, squeezing and stretching... but still no screenshot. We all need a lot of :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup:

Skettalee

Post by Skettalee »

I'm just now seeing this post. Lately I have been getting deeper and deeper into using the hell out of this program and love it more each day. You really made this thing super feature rich and I am getting a whole lot of use out of each new feature I find. Especially amazing for me because I use alot of different types of data and much more than any other person that I know. Currently my main machine has 17 TB's of data stored across 7 hard drives and alot of libraries of content. I am a graphic designer, music producer/editor/creator a video editor, motion graphics designer, animator, 3d modeler, web developer and even more so I have grown my libraries of content very fast through the years and always need the best possible tools for organizing, reviewing, sorting, renaming and any other word I can think of dealing with being the admin of my 1's and my 0's. You have helped me alot with all of it and I would love to give back in any ways you might need it. Id love to help beta test as well as whatever, I dont know... Maybe you might want a commercial created or a tutorial series or video/animated help content for others. I can do alot of things, I think I have even mentioned doing things like this for you before!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Great, thanks for the offer! :tup: :cup:

Already spreading the word is a huge help. I found that once people notice the existence of this app they don't need much convincing anymore. It nicely sells itself. So all it needs is ... (back to the begging of this line). :)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, I tried hard and long, and I lost a lot of money and time, and now I can safely say: .NET and XY and me... it just doesn't work out. It would have taken years to create a .NET version of what we already have now. Years of total creative stagnation. Years of frustration for me because Visual Studio is so incredibly fat and slow, and I'm just not made to wait. Coding for me has to be fun. When it feels like filling out a tax form the fun is gone. Time to stop it.

Bye .NET, long live VB6!

:cup: