[TOPIC CLOSED] +++ BREAKING NEWS: XY Switches Programming Language +++

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
acheton

Re: +++ BREAKING NEWS: XY Switches Programming Language +++

Post by acheton »

Great to hear, look forward to trying the alphas and betas!

mikes16

Post by mikes16 »

I love this - looking forward to running the new version through its paces!

Dustydog

Post by Dustydog »

Good luck, Don. This is such a mature, feature-rich app, and so well tested and debugged, letting it sit for six months or a year won't hurt a thing. As is, XY will be keeping everyone happy in the meantime. Regardless of where things go in the future, you've really created a fantastic tool as it stands.

I hope you keep us updated on progress - good and bad. I would also like to volunteer for alpha testing if it would be helpful to you.

You're a brilliant man. I look forward to seeing how you take advantage of new possibilities as you go forward.

I too would be more than happy to pay for another lifetime license. If you decide to let the licenses stand, do accept PayPal donations. There are a lot of people around here who feel very supportive and appreciative of you.

Thank you for the time you've spent listening to your users, and the graciousness with which you've always treated everyone. I hope, even as you suddenly get almost overwhelmingly busy, that you'll still spare some time for us here.

Thank you for all you've done and all you're doing.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks! :D

Of course, the old lifetime license will be good for the 64-bit version. In XY, lifetime means lifetime.

And thanks for all the beta-testers queueing up! :tup:

MBaas

Post by MBaas »

This cool attitude is a good reason tomge another licence anyway :appl:

1024mb

Post by 1024mb »

This is great news!
admin wrote: 18 Apr 2020 20:13 Sure, I'll keep you posted.

At the moment I'm cleaning the code. Many things can just be dropped, e.g. everything related to XYcopy.

More later.
A question about this because it seems I'm not understanding this well, or at least I hope so.
Do you mean that XYcopy wouldn't make it to the code migration? The new version of XY wont include/use XYcopy anymore?

I really love XYcopy, please don't die :ghost:

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

1024mb wrote: 30 Apr 2020 01:41 Do you mean that XYcopy wouldn't make it to the code migration? The new version of XY wont include/use XYcopy anymore?

The point of XYcopy is that it allows file operations to happen without blocking the rest of the app. This separate process (XYcopy.exe) is necessary because XYplorer is written in a programming language that doesn't support multithreading, which allows multiple things to happen simultaneously within the one app.

The new XYplorer will be written in a much more modern language, which does support multithreading. This will allow background file operations, but also more robust network browsing and thumbnail creation among other things.

1024mb

Post by 1024mb »

nas8e9 wrote: 30 Apr 2020 03:27
1024mb wrote: 30 Apr 2020 01:41 Do you mean that XYcopy wouldn't make it to the code migration? The new version of XY wont include/use XYcopy anymore?

The point of XYcopy is that it allows file operations to happen without blocking the rest of the app. This separate process (XYcopy.exe) is necessary because XYplorer is written in a programming language that doesn't support multithreading, which allows multiple things to happen simultaneously within the one app.

The new XYplorer will be written in a much more modern language, which does support multithreading. This will allow background file operations, but also more robust network browsing and thumbnail creation among other things.
Yes, I understand that but I'm saying that I prefer a thousand times XYcopy to the default copy handler.
So, by what you say XYcopy will be included inside the main program?
I think it is better this old way, i.e if XYplorer were to crash and at the same time it was copying/moving/whatever files it wont make the process stop and potentially corrupt something.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

XYcopy is not Configuration | File Operations | File Operations | Custom Copy Operations | Use Custom Copy
XYcopy is Configuration | File Operations | File Operations | Background Processing | Enable background processing

Anklebuster

Post by Anklebuster »

That's brilliant and I wish you the best of luck.

I spent six years developing a program in VB6, black art and all. When I decided to make the switch to VB.NET, I became so depressed! My little VB6 "baby" was working fine, but when I changed computers and couldn't find my CD, I just bit the bullet.

That VB.NET sucker never did approach the usability of my VB6 app. It looked pretty as hell, though. LOL

Cheers,

Mitch

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Anklebuster wrote: 02 May 2020 20:28 That VB.NET sucker never did approach the usability of my VB6 app. It looked pretty as hell, though. LOL
What does that mean? Usability of the IDE?

Sebbel

Post by Sebbel »

XYplorer on Linux? A dream will come true... You're the man! :appl:

Anklebuster

Post by Anklebuster »

admin wrote: 04 May 2020 14:36
Anklebuster wrote: 02 May 2020 20:28 That VB.NET sucker never did approach the usability of my VB6 app. It looked pretty as hell, though. LOL
What does that mean? Usability of the IDE?
Not the IDE, "sucker" was meant to refer to theVB.Net version of my little app. I never got around to porting all of the functionality, because it was a ground-up re-write. I wanted to take advantage of drag/drop, which I could never quite manage in VB6. I wound up spending so much time to the app's GUI, I didn't have the energy to bring thousands of lines of VB6 functionality up to the VB.Net standard.

Luckily, my program soon became obsolete.

lian00

Post by lian00 »

It’s very good news. At last XYPlorer in 64 bits with correct right click menu (I just could not use XnViewMP functionalities correctly). Thanks for your hard work and the time you spend to improve XYplorer.
Windows 10 64 bits

FluxTorpedoe

Post by FluxTorpedoe »

A quick post…
To send regards to everyone, hoping you and your families are healthy… :beer: :masked: :beer:

And, on the technical front, to add my voice to the encouragement.
Keep up the good amazing work, Don! :appl: