file icons

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
Gary

file icons

Post by Gary »

I use a program called filemarker to assign individual icons to my files. When I hoover on a folder icon the popup shows my custom cons for each file, but when I open the folder, the files have the default icons (in this particular case, the Acrobat icon). Is there a setting in xyplorer I am missing? The custom file icons show correctly in Windows Explorer and in two alternate programs: FileCenter and xplorer2 (I have licenses for both but I'm thinking of switching to xyplorer mostly for the scripting capability). This issue is not deal breaker but I'm just wondering if there is a solution I'm missing.

nas8e9

Re: file icons

Post by nas8e9 »

You may have Tools > Configuration > Refresh, Icons, History > Icons > Use generic icons for super-fast browsing, enabled?

Gary

Post by Gary »

thanks for the suggestion, but that was not checked. I checked it then unchecked just to be sure. No change.

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

I can't get filemarker icons to display in XYplorer either, unfortunately.

AFAIK at least xplorer2 uses a lot of Windows Explorer-functionality in its list (and tree), whereas XYplorer uses a custom hand-coded list. It may be that filemarker uses functionality that only works in Windows Explorer lists.

Edited to add: filemarker seems to use alternate data streams to store the icon changes, in addition to a Windows service to apply the custom icons.

Oddly enough, NirSoft's AlternateStreamView uses the custom icons as well.

Gary

Post by Gary »

I discovered that xyplorer will display FolderMarker icons (have to close and restart though) but I can't get it to display FileMarker icons.

jupe

Post by jupe »

Have you tried turning the cache off?, it might help with the Foldermarker at least.

Configuration | General | Refresh, Icons, History | Icons | Cache specific icons

Gary

Post by Gary »

yes - that helped for the foldermaker icons, thanks