Sort Name

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
Kyzoku

Sort Name

Post by Kyzoku »

I'm trying to sort some file folders in a specific manner that the default settings don't seem to be able to accomplish. I found the manual sorting to be exactly what I wanted, except for that it isn't permanent. Here is an example of what I am trying to accomplish.

This is the correct order of the movies. Note "The Final Destination" is Final Destination 4
Final Destination
Final Destination 2
Final Destination 3
The Final Destination
Final Destination 5

but it actually shows up as
Final Destination
Final Destination 2
Final Destination 3
Final Destination 5
The Final Destination

I'm using a workaround that is a bit annoying, but functional. I've added the names of every folder into the comment tag and then for "The Final Destination" I have it listed in the Comment as Final Destination 4. Then I sort by Comment. This works, but it requires me to make a comment for every folder in the directory.

Sometimes the structure shows up like this when Deponia v3.3.1357 should be at the top
Deponia 2꞉ Chaos on Deponia v3.3.2351
Deponia 3꞉ Goodbye Deponia v3.3.3335
Deponia v3.3.1357

Is there an better way to do this? If not is it possible to have a Sort Name column that you can edit the name without renaming the folder. Plex Media Server has an option similar to this so you can sort of group movies with completely different names together. Think Evil Dead, Evil Dead 2, Army of Darkness... Sorry for the big post.

RalphM

Re: Sort Name

Post by RalphM »

The most logical approach would be to rename the one folder so it goes where you want it, everything else will create a lot of work somewhere along the way.
You could create two special columns and enter in the first the search name for special cases as described, then make the second column a copy of this sort name if it exists, otherwise a copy of the real name, then sort after that last column.
Just to warn you this will create a lot of extra info for just a few files sorted wrongly otherwise and will slow down XY.
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

Kyzoku

Re: Sort Name

Post by Kyzoku »

That's kind of why I was hoping that I was missing some feature somewhere since I likely have no idea of 98% of what XYplorer has.