Slow startup, etc.

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
FCrane

Slow startup, etc.

Post by FCrane »

Hi!

I'm evaluating the product, but it has a few annoying bugs or problems:

1) It starts relatively slow! Opening a folder takes at least about 1 second, which makes the whole OS seem slow... Windows Explorer opens immediately, and competing products like Directory Opus also start without any noticable delay. Obviously, XYplorer is not coded primarily for speed, which would be essential for a file explorer! It should probably be rewritten in a faster language (like C++) or maybe it could be held in memory after first start (like Directory Opus), so that subsequent folders open immediately. Otherwise it's really annoying to use...

2) When several folders are open and the settings are changed in one, then this one is closed and after that any other, the settings are not saved! Seems always the last folder saves its current settings, so they get lost when closing folders in the wrong order...

3) Having the "<app>" tag mandatory in the caption is an extreme nuisance! Horrible... "how dare you!" ;-)

4) The XYplorer icon makes it impossible to recognize folders in the task bar - if you are used to Windows Explorer! So if you ever expect anyone to use XYplorer as a Windows Explorer replacement, it should be possible to use the standard folder icons so that the taskbar (and all other views) look familiar...

5) Explorer integration is poor. I know this has been discussed before, but ithems like "This PC", "Network", "Documents", "Recycle Bin", etc. must also open in XYplorer if I choose to use it as an Explorer replacement. If not, its confusing and annoying (especially because different copy methods are used, different views, etc.) Poor overal experience.

6) Different folders do not seem to remember their view options (e.g. Tiles, Details, etc.) They should!

These are the most obvious problems I encountered after short testing. Good program, but not quite ready to really replace Windows Explorer...

Regards!

admin
Site Admin

Re: Slow startup, etc.

Post by admin »

FCrane wrote: 02 Jan 2020 20:20 1) It starts relatively slow! Opening a folder takes at least about 1 second, which makes the whole OS seem slow... Windows Explorer opens immediately, and competing products like Directory Opus also start without any noticable delay. Obviously, XYplorer is not coded primarily for speed, which would be essential for a file explorer! It should probably be rewritten in a faster language (like C++) or maybe it could be held in memory after first start (like Directory Opus), so that subsequent folders open immediately. Otherwise it's really annoying to use...
Uh, no, all wrong. XYplorer is build primarly for speed and it delivers for many many years. If it seems slow then for reasons. Check out this: https://www.xyplorer.com/faq-topic.php?id=mse

The other questions are on usage and I assume you found answers in the Help file in the meantime.

kunkel321

Re: Slow startup, etc.

Post by kunkel321 »

Re start up speed:
You can also get useful information if you open the Help Menu, then Crtl+Shift click the "Various Information" menu item. It will give you a report such as below. You can see that Drive H gives me problems. BTW this happens with other explorers too. It's because H is the "My Documents" folder on my server at work, but I'm presently at home. I can't even begin to tell you how often this causes problems for various programs.

Code: Select all

XY ver: 	XYplorer 20.60.0300
OS:     	Windows 10 (Unknown Product Type: 121), 64-bit, Release 1903, Build 18362.295
Loaded: 	2020-01-22 05:59:13 in 3,129 ms
Threshold: 	10 ms

0 ms:     221 ms - Start Load
   221 ms:      52 ms - Init Language
   283 ms:      31 ms - Init Controls
   314 ms:     106 ms - Init Graphics
   420 ms:      24 ms - Init Tabs
   444 ms:      44 ms - Create Info Panel
   488 ms:      95 ms - Set Interface Font
   583 ms:      28 ms - Init Panes
   634 ms:      19 ms - Go Start Path: This PC
   670 ms:   2,256 ms - GetFreeSpaceDrive H:\
 2,926 ms:      17 ms - GetFreeSpaceDrive I:\
 2,969 ms:      31 ms - Layout Bars
 3,000 ms:      40 ms - Layout List
 3,040 ms:      85 ms - Show Window
 3,129 ms:            - Load Done

MaxiTree: Rows=14, Nodes=14, Expanded=1, Mapped Drives=5
Remember Tree State: Yes (1 stored paths)
Check Existence of Subfolders in Tree: Yes
Pane 1: Items=12/6, Pane 2: Items=11/20, Catalog: Items=1
EDIT: Another tip: If you want to rule out your customizations as the cause of the slowdown, you can launch XY in "plain vanilla" mode by typing ::fresh into the top and pressing enter.

EDIT 2: Typo.
ste(phen|ve) kunkel