How do you use XY?

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
muzicman82

How do you use XY?

Post by muzicman82 »

Sorry for my 3rd post of the day. I'm wondering, in general, how you all use XYplorer? Is it your daily driver? Or do you launch it when you need a little more customization for specific tasks (advanced search, etc)?

I'm a multi-Window/instance guy myself with Explorer. I'm constantly mashing Winkey+E just because it is the fastest way for me to get from one folder to another. That said, I didn't find any new threads on a Winkey+E replacement... what's the latest on that?

Perhaps one of the only reasons I hesitate to try switching to XY completely is that besides my own 5x PCs, I am constantly working on other systems that aren't mine. So, I think in those cases, I might end up "lost" after not being in XY for a while. But.. maybe not.

Any must have scripts/mods/preferences, I'm all ears.

John_C

Re: How do you use XY?

Post by John_C »

XYplorer is very lightweight, so I keep it opened permanently. When I don't need it, I minimize the window or simply put it behind another one.

Though it have built-in option to search files, it is not convenient for me. Instead, I use Agent Ransack.

Sometimes I need Windows Explorer and thus I have integration option of XY disabled (Tools > Configuration > Shell Integration.)

The strongest side of XYplorer is its way to handle metadata. You can assign color labels, comments, and so, and it will be quite reliably attached to your files/directories. None of the other file managers can do it in this way.

It's weakest side is performance. Sometimes it could hang up when you browse a directory with a large amount of high res images with thumbnails enabled. The same goes for exe files.
Last edited by John_C on 20 Dec 2019 20:50, edited 1 time in total.

MBaas

Post by MBaas »

XY is the first app I open after launching windows and usually keep it open all time. It has completely replaced Windows Explorer and I'm glad I don't need it any more (except when working on customer's machines - and I still manage to make it do what I need).

As a software-developer, I often work in certain folders (these days often subfolders of "\Git"), so I have locked tab holding that folder - which makes it easy enough to browse repositories etc. Since I usually work with VS Code, I have another locked tab holding all code.workspace-files. A 3d locked tab is a paper-folder that has the files/folders I currently work with. Finally, a 4th tab for the "Downloads"-folder.
I don't use the tree that often, so it's hidden. But I show the catalog which has a several categories with shortcuts for the apps that I frequently use plus links to a few more folders (much looking forward to the ability to use EnvVars in the catalog!).
4 custom toolbar-buttons, 3 of them with more links to apps - and one button dedicated just to one app: BeyondCompare.

I typically show folders in details-view and have not decided whether I prefer single pane or dual pane (my first filemgr was Norton Commander, so I'm still attached to the dual model).

Have experimented with customizing the hamburger-menu in the panes, but am actually not using it for much more than "Goto other location"...

My biggest wish is better multitasking during copy-operations (I have some regular jobs over a slow VPN and it is a pain being not able to use XY for something else during these intense operations. I had tried using external copy, but for some reason wasn't too happy with it...). No complaints about performance.

muzicman82

Post by muzicman82 »

MBaas wrote: 20 Dec 2019 12:22 XY is the first app I open after launching windows and usually keep it open all time. It has completely replaced Windows Explorer and I'm glad I don't need it any more (except when working on customer's machines - and I still manage to make it do what I need).

As a software-developer, I often work in certain folders (these days often subfolders of "\Git"), so I have locked tab holding that folder - which makes it easy enough to browse repositories etc. Since I usually work with VS Code, I have another locked tab holding all code.workspace-files. A 3d locked tab is a paper-folder that has the files/folders I currently work with. Finally, a 4th tab for the "Downloads"-folder.
I don't use the tree that often, so it's hidden. But I show the catalog which has a several categories with shortcuts for the apps that I frequently use plus links to a few more folders (much looking forward to the ability to use EnvVars in the catalog!).
4 custom toolbar-buttons, 3 of them with more links to apps - and one button dedicated just to one app: BeyondCompare.

I typically show folders in details-view and have not decided whether I prefer single pane or dual pane (my first filemgr was Norton Commander, so I'm still attached to the dual model).

Have experimented with customizing the hamburger-menu in the panes, but am actually not using it for much more than "Goto other location"...

My biggest wish is better multitasking during copy-operations (I have some regular jobs over a slow VPN and it is a pain being not able to use XY for something else during these intense operations. I had tried using external copy, but for some reason wasn't too happy with it...). No complaints about performance.
Good info! I definitely remember Norton Commander and PC Tools (Central Point / Symantec) way back when. Locked tabs sounds like a good idea, but it doesn't make it easy to "stop working". As far as external copy, what about using TeraCopy?

MBaas

Post by MBaas »

Locked tabs sounds like a good idea, but it doesn't make it easy to "stop working".
Sorry, can't follow you - care to elaborate?= ;)
what about using TeraCopy?
Well, I saw Don recommending FastCopy, so I went with that. Maybe I should try Tera, too...

muzicman82

Post by muzicman82 »

MBaas wrote: 20 Dec 2019 16:09
Locked tabs sounds like a good idea, but it doesn't make it easy to "stop working".
Sorry, can't follow you - care to elaborate?= ;)
what about using TeraCopy?
Well, I saw Don recommending FastCopy, so I went with that. Maybe I should try Tera, too...
Oh, with a locked tab, I would pay attention to it when I'm supposedly "clocked out".

I haven't needed to use TeraCopy on Windows 8 or 10... but I used it a lot with Windows 7. It was very fast, but since SSDs came around (and now NVMe), I'm far less picky about speeds.

MBaas

Post by MBaas »

Oh, I see - thanks for the explanation. I didn't find that to be a problem - it's just one tab of several (I hesitate to say "many"), and I don't mind seeing the title after hours - I won't click it then ;-)

kunkel321

Post by kunkel321 »

I rarely use Windows Explorer. XYplorer gets used throughout the day. I'm a school psychologist, so I generate a great deal of paperwork. XY definitely helps me to manage it all.

Regarding Win+E.. I'm also an AutoHotkey user and I have a much-altered version of AutoCorrect.ahk running. I have a line of code that remaps Win+E.
#e:: Run, C:\Program Files (x86)\XYplorer\XYplorer.exe

Trying to find the code for AutoCorrect.ahk so I can provide a link.... Not finding it though...
EDIT: Here is it: https://www.autohotkey.com/download/AutoCorrect.ahk
ste(phen|ve) kunkel