XY HTML engine = IE 7

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
Dustydog

XY HTML engine = IE 7

Post by Dustydog »

It's using Internet Explorer 7, according to:

html(<clp>);

Code: Select all

<!--[if IE 7]>
Yep.
<![endif]-->
I showed it that way because I often test XY html code using 'html(<clp>); which I thought might also be handy to put down.

This should probably be in the documentation if it's tested to be true for different versions of Windows. Knowing what will work and what won't is invaluable - and this explains a lot. I'm on the most current mainstream version of Win 10.

(That html construct is called a "conditional comment" - which only works inside IE. Other browsers just ignore it.)

Edited by a moderator

Dustydog

Re: XY HTML engine = IE 7

Post by Dustydog »

This also means that if you're wondering what Javascript version is supported, it's 1.3.

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

Isn't this just dependent from the system you're working on?
W7(x64) SP1 German
( +WXP SP3 )

Dustydog

Post by Dustydog »

Nope. I'm on Win 10, most current.

This is the compatibility version for the html function in XY.
Don uses VB 6 for development. I assume it's linked to that.

That said, and as crippled as IE 7 is in terms of web standards, and as limited the number of characters one can return from a form (I get 2079 characters, Don got somewhat less), it's really pretty amazing what one can accomplish with this feature. I'm currently testing various things for compatibility, and one can do quite a lot - certainly anything with basic HTML and CSS, it apparently supports flash?!, it can read pdf files, and it supports Javascript version 1.3.

One can't pull some tricks one can do with current web standards, but for what it is - it's great.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

... it can read pdf files???

Dustydog

Post by Dustydog »

Well, yes, mine certainly can. In my case it's using Adobe's, which is installed on my machine, and was installed after my XY installation, but I suspect it might work with any browser-compatible reader that's installed externally. I certainly don't need to be online in order for it to work. (For pdf reading I have pdf XChange viewer as my preview handler, Sumatra just because it's an excellent all-around reader, and I have a paid Adobe subscription because I have to. So, it's using the paid Adobe plugin, but I suspect it would work with their free viewer, though I haven't tried it.) I shouldn't have made such a broad statement, but it's true at least to a degree.

Which is actually quite interesting to me, because it's made me wonder what else I might be able to install that would sneak into the functionality of XY's html function. It's still based on IE7, so multi-browser plugins have to be compatible with that (I've only done very minimal testing on this - the reader works, a multi-threaded download manager doesn't), but I do find it intriguing.

If anyone else finds something interesting that adds functionality (I'm going to look at some Javascript later-web-compatability functions and see if they work, for example) do make a note of it. (Here?) As well as some other plug-ins. A test site noticed that I was flash compatible, but again, that's probably from my full Adobe suite installation. (It's hard for me to tell at this point, though when I get time, I'll figure it out.)

Dustydog

Post by Dustydog »

PeterH wrote: 19 Nov 2019 10:51 Isn't this just dependent from the system you're working on?
So - partly. Not the IE version, but other things do, apparently, affect it. I dearly wish I could simply upgrade the IE version it uses somehow to at least IE 9 or so, but I'm very happy with what we've got. It's just been odd for me to start learning HTML because I'm trying to do more with XY. Not exactly the route most people take. :?

[My professional programming experience in the past entirely bypassed the web, so I know a lot about a little, and little that applies here - or anymore. I do know some...antique things rather well: Anyone need help with OS2 on a Novell network? I can also make an HP calculator do handstands - for example my chemical darkroom timer, another fantastic skill to have - was written for my HP calulator to read a human-readable text file with processing steps and timings and give me both audible and visual warnings for various steps based on the entries for different processes and temperatures. I also, at least used to be able to, do some Postscript programming - I was also good at Pagemaker and really good at scripting Paradox for DOS (probably partly why XY appeals to me so much). Useful stuff, eh? Really cutting-edge. I think I have some Photoshop floppies around here somewhere from around ver. 3 or 4 for Windows.... I think I need to get off the forum here and clean out my computer room with the "Please Keep This Door Closed" darkroom sign still stuck to the door: Anyone need a 5"x7" color enlarger with Schneider lenses?]

jupe

Post by jupe »

Some info you may be interested in:

https://weblog.west-wind.com/posts/2011 ... #PostTitle