File Checkbox Behavior

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
VeeGee

File Checkbox Behavior

Post by VeeGee »

Good morning all,
Windows 10 x64 1909, latest XY beta.
I have noticed something lately and I'm not sure if this is how it has always been or something new/changed.

Here's the setup : checkbox selection enabled / dual panes / 50 files in the bottom pane

Here's what I do : select a single file (usually a larger one, e.g. 2GB or more) by clicking the checkbox in the bottom pane, use a command to "Move to Other Pane" / unselect the file that is now moving and select all other 49 files. First file is moving via XYCopy and I can see the progress in the window. 49 other files are selected waiting for me to do something.

Here's what is happening : once the file that is moving has completed the move, the newly selected 49 files are unselected.

This happens every time. Now this may have always happened, I'm not sure. Maybe I was quicker before and am slower now with my processes. I wouldn't think the a move/copy complete would unselect anything else from the same pane as it originated in.

Is this normal behavior ? If so, is there an option to have it not unselect the other files ? or is this a new bug ?
Many thanks.

VeeGee

Re: File Checkbox Behavior

Post by VeeGee »

Good afternoon,
When you have a chance, can you look into this ? Possibly add an option to not unselect selected items when XCopy is complete. If this option is available already, please let me know where as I was unable to locate it.

VeeGee

Post by VeeGee »

Bump. My original post is from Nov 2019, think by now it would have had time for an official response.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I tried to reproduce it but could not. It might be some setting. Can you reproduce it with a fresh install (fresh;)?

VeeGee

Post by VeeGee »

Yes, I can reproduce it on every "Move to Other Pane" or "Cut/Paste", even with a fresh install running. Only modification I made to the fresh install was to enable checkbox selection in the list.

Also, this behavior does not happen on "Copy to Other Pane" or Copy/Paste, only the "Move to Other Pane" or Cut/Paste. If I use either Copy methods, the newly selected files stay selected when the copy process is done.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Alright, fixed in next beta. :)

VeeGee

Post by VeeGee »

Thank you for fixing this. It has been working perfectly since your fix.

Another behavior that gets "cancelled" when the cut/copy/paste finishes is the inline rename of a file or folder. If I am in the middle of a rename when the copy/cut/paste finishes, my edits are cancelled and the the cursor is exited from the rename. The best part of your fix is, if I am doing a rename and I get booted from it, the checkbox still stays checked !

Would a fix for this be similar to your previous fix ?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hmm, not so easy. Maybe later.

VeeGee

Post by VeeGee »

Good morning all,
It appears that the original problem I was having has come back around (guessing in the last set of betas). This is what I noticed happening with every copy or move so far this morning :

Same setup, checkbox selection, dual panes, etc.
1. Select 10 files from one pane and get them either copying or moving to another location.
2. XYCopy window is running but is NOT is the foreground, the main XY is.
3. In XY, navigate to any other location and simply select a file or folder. It is highlighted and the checkbox is checked.
4. Wait until a file from the XYCopy queue is complete and the checkbox in XY in unselected.
5. Select another file(s) and wait, it will get unselected again when the next file finishes and will continue to do so until the XYCopy queue is empty.

Can you look to see if something changed that is un-doing your previous fix ? Anything selected by any method in the XY window should stay that way no matter what is going on in the XYCopy queue/window.

Thanks !

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

1) This only happens with checkbox selection, not with normal selection?

2) Is that a drag-and-drop operation?

3) Is the unselecting happening in the target location of the file operation?

VeeGee

Post by VeeGee »

Good morning !
admin wrote: 25 Feb 2022 10:28 1) This only happens with checkbox selection, not with normal selection?
Yes, only when I have checkbox selection enabled.
admin wrote: 25 Feb 2022 10:28 2) Is that a drag-and-drop operation?
No. Mostly selecting files and using a Move to Other Pane command or standard Copy/Paste.
admin wrote: 25 Feb 2022 10:28 3) Is the unselecting happening in the target location of the file operation?
No. It happens in whatever I have as my current pane/location. Most times the location is not tied to the original location I started I in as I have browsed to other folders.

Updated information
Here's the thing, I am not seeing this morning. I updated to the latest beta; however, I didn't see anything in the notes. I'll do some more tests. This has been happening 100% of the time prior to this morning.

On the subject of checkboxes, here is something else I noticed. Let's say you have 1 or more files selected and their checkbox is checked. I press DEL to delete the files and get my "Are you sure..." delete prompt. As the prompt is displayed, the checkboxes are unchecked in the pane and the files are unselected. Normally not a problem as I would just delete and they still do in fact all delete. However, if I cancel the delete dialog, I now have to go back and reselect what was already selected.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

VeeGee wrote: 25 Feb 2022 13:34 On the subject of checkboxes, here is something else I noticed. Let's say you have 1 or more files selected and their checkbox is checked. I press DEL to delete the files and get my "Are you sure..." delete prompt. As the prompt is displayed, the checkboxes are unchecked in the pane and the files are unselected. Normally not a problem as I would just delete and they still do in fact all delete. However, if I cancel the delete dialog, I now have to go back and reselect what was already selected.
Doesn't happen here. Maybe you just wait another day and it disappears. ;)

VeeGee

Post by VeeGee »

Good morning !
Here is a small "video" of what is happening when deleting. The first 2 deletes I was pressing the DEL key and the last one I used the right-click, Delete context menu.
CheckboxDelete.gif
CheckboxDelete.gif (620.22 KiB) Viewed 1191 times
Hopefully this helps.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Crazy. :veryconfused: This can only be Voodoo. :blackstorm: Take care.

VeeGee

Post by VeeGee »

Update. Did some more testing and have narrowed it down to one condition - the folder where the items have some selected have some type of background operations happening on them. This could be a paste coming from other another process or something writing/updating an entry in a log file. When anything is going on, XY must be detecting a "change" and possibly forcing a refresh, which causes the boxes to uncheck. My guess at least.

In my screen above, I was testing inside a Temp folder that had, well, Temp files be written here and there. I tested on some other folders where no activity was happening and the boxes did not uncheck.