What is the best way to synchronize XYPlorer installs - Laptop, Desktops etc.

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
randfee

What is the best way to synchronize XYPlorer installs - Laptop, Desktops etc.

Post by randfee »

Hi,

I am starting to use XYplorer everywhere. I've stumbled upon a use-case question that I can't quite answer yet:
  • one network location only (so far)
  • laptop (not always connected to network)
  • multiple desktops (always connected)
  • some server
--> what is the best way to be able to use XYplorer on any of the machines at any time (laptop not connected to home network) with the same settings (customization of toolbar, favorites, tags, catalogs, scripts etc.) while also being able to keep refining and changing those settings.

Right now I have a portable version residing on a network folder which I can start from any of the clients within the network. Simple (yet unclear what changes get saved when multiple instances are open). The laptop is the big question here. I want to be able to use XYplorer while on the go, so I will have to have a local copy. Is there a way to keep those two insatalls (or several) synchronized. Doesn't have to be over the internet, I'd be enough to sync it when hooked up to the network.
The best option I see right now is to live with two different installs and not change settings on the one but always just copy the network one and replace the laptop one.... but that is obviously not optimal, especially when using tags and stuff.

any ideas?

Borut

Re: What is the best way to synchronize XYPlorer installs - Laptop, Desktops etc.

Post by Borut »

I have no installed XY instances - all are portable (which is practically the same) and installed in the same directory on all computers (for instance C:/_MyPortables). I use a USB stick and BeyondCompare for explicit synchronization (for all my portable applications, as a matter of fact).

Oh, yes, sorry - I do not use tags.
Win 10 Pro 64bit

Filehero

Re: What is the best way to synchronize XYPlorer installs - Laptop, Desktops etc.

Post by Filehero »

Well,

in practice a simple sync of settings isn't possible for me as the file system paths aren't identical of each of my systems.

For instance, are the paths of your Favourites (files and folders) the same on/from every machine hosting a XY instance?

randfee

Post by randfee »

yes, all paths (of relevance) are the same (network paths with same mapping). Most local paths are dissimilar but those don't matter, are never in favorites or catalogues. I have given up on keeping data locally years ago. Only temporary folders are used locally, sometimes I copy stuff to the workstations' SSDs if a lot of IO speed is needed for some analysis or something.
So bottom line, local stuff one machines doesn't matter besides being browsed, no tagging/favorites etc. Everything is happening on network drives.