Item Context Menus

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
admin
Site Admin

Item Context Menus

Post by admin »

I was planning to add the custom items (Configuration | General | Menus, Mouse, Usability | Context Menus | Custom items in shell context menu) to the 64-bit Shell Context Menu, and while it could work it still would be hard to do, hard to maintain, and somehow a clumsy approach. So I went to think deeper and came up with this:

1) Why not see it as three different context menus:
- XYplorer Custom Context Menu (= "Custom items in shell context menu")
- 32-bit Shell Context Menu
- 64-bit Shell Context Menu

2) We always (AFAIK) want exactly one of them, there is really no point in joining them as it's currently done with the 32-bit Shell Context Menu + XYplorer Custom Context Menu.

3) So, why not insert a choice via an intermediate little menu:
XYThreeContextMenus.png
XYThreeContextMenus.png (1.83 KiB) Viewed 915 times
The necessary additional click might look slow, but as you know the Shell Context Menu is often slow to open because of loads of slow shell extensions. But often you just want a command from the XYplorer Custom Context Menu, and this will always open instantly when it's not coupled to the 32-bit Shell Context Menu. So I think the intermediate menu might make things faster all in all.

What do you think?

highend

Re: Item Context Menus

Post by highend »

It would be nice if we could define a default (e.g. always open XY's context menu), with
a modifier that overrides this setting to get the selection menu again, in possible...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

A custom context menu would be a nice idea. Of course that's coming from someone who doesn't use it very often. Since the items on it would be of my choosing, this would certainly increase my use of it .

I wouldn't want to have to use an intermediate menu to select which context menu I want want every time I use it though. We should be able to set the desired menu from Configuration as a default possibly.
Windows 11, 23H2 Build 22631.3447 at 100% 2560x1440

highend

Post by highend »

And a little feature wish: If we were able to select a default, could you add copy, cut and paste to XY's internal one?
This would replace 99% of all cases where I'd use the 32/64-bit menu...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

highend wrote: 29 Oct 2019 13:56 And a little feature wish: If we were able to select a default, could you add copy, cut and paste to XY's internal one?
This would replace 99% of all cases where I'd use the 32/64-bit menu...
Sure, but you really do this with the mouse? :shock:

highend

Post by highend »

Sometimes, yeah.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I see, relaxing the left hand.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Here's a new idea.
- below are the three available menus
- each has links to the other two at the top
- you can choose in configuration which to show by default when right-clicking an item

Code: Select all

|-------------------------------|   |-------------------------------|   |-------------------------------|
|Show 32-bit Shell Context Menu |   |Show XY Custom Context Menu    |   |Show XY Custom Context Menu    |
|Show 64-bit Shell Context Menu |   |Show 64-bit Shell Context Menu |   |Show 32-bit Shell Context Menu |
|-------------------------------|   |-------------------------------|   |-------------------------------|
| XYplorer Custom Context Menu  |   | 32-bit Shell Context Menu     |   | 64-bit Shell Context Menu     |
| ...                           |   | ...                           |   | ...                           |
|                               |   |                               |   |                               |
|                               |   |                               |   |                               |

highend

Post by highend »

That's even nicer :tup:

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

Yes, I agree that's even better though if I select a menu type in Configuration, I'll probably use that most often and therefore I'd rather have the options for the other 2 menus at the bottom rather than on top.
Windows 11, 23H2 Build 22631.3447 at 100% 2560x1440

highend

Post by highend »

I'd rather have the options for the other 2 menus at the bottom rather than on top
Make it configurable (because I like to have them on the top so that they are always at the same place)...