Partially equalising settings in two XYPlorer instances

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
aubrey97

Partially equalising settings in two XYPlorer instances

Post by aubrey97 »

I am wanting to run two different versions of XYPlorer on my machine (the exact details are not relevant here, but basically I use a completely different set of external hard drives via a different boot sequence). There is no problem having two different portable XYPlorer's on the same machine. What I do want to do however is to reconcile (and to keep reconciled) some but not all settings between the versions. This can be done manually whenever I make changes.

In particular I want the same User Defined Commands AND the toolbar layout, and the scripts attached to those buttons (right click, edit multi-line script). Before I mess things up, I imagine all of those are stored in udc.dat which I simply need to copy across (while XY is not running).

Same for keyboard shortcuts (ks.dat).

Is that correct?

I see there is a section [CustomButtons] in the ini file - can I safely copy that across as well - where are the scripts underlying those buttons stored if not in the UDC?

RalphM

Re: Partially equalising settings in two XYPlorer instances

Post by RalphM »

While you could certainly copy stuff as described between different portable XY installations it could get messy in the future as you would need to check the ini file for possible structural changes with every update of XY.
Depending on the details of the variations between the two instances it might be easier to work with tabsets and such to change the appearance of XY while keeping the same underlying ini for both.
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

aubrey97

Re: Partially equalising settings in two XYPlorer instances

Post by aubrey97 »

Yes it might be most sensible to synchronise everything and then have separate mechanisms for some things.