I don't understand new features in 6.80...

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
chrisge

I don't understand new features in 6.80...

Post by chrisge »

hello !

I'm not sure what the new features are ...

"Now you can drag-drop items onto shortcuts in List and Catalog."
or
"Targets of shortcuts are shown in File Info Tips on mouse hover."
or
"Now you can one-click jump to the target of a shortcut."

Can you give more informations please ?

Thanks in advance.

chris.

jacky
XYwiki Master

Re: I don't understand new features in 6.80...

Post by jacky »

Hey,
chrisge wrote:"Now you can drag-drop items onto shortcuts in List and Catalog."
Means you can drop items on a shortcurt (*.lnk file). For example, if you have a shortcut to a folder on List or on your Catalog, dropping files on that shortcut will allow you to move/copy files into the destination folder.
chrisge wrote:"Targets of shortcuts are shown in File Info Tips on mouse hover."
If enabled (check Configuration|File Info Tips), on your file info tips you'll have, for shortcuts (*.lnk), their destination target shown along with all the other info (name, dates, attributes, etc)
So if you've renamed the shortcut or forgot where it points to, you can always easily find out
chrisge wrote:"Now you can one-click jump to the target of a shortcut."
Means that if you right-click on a shortcut, you'll find a "Go to Shortcut Target" command on the context menu that will allow you to jump to its target. For example, if you have a shortcut to some application (*.exe file) you'll be able to quickly go to the actual file easily using the context menu, or through the Misc command on CKS

Hope that helps a bit.
Proud XYplorer Fanatic

chrisge

Post by chrisge »

ok thanks !

in fact I didn't saw it because the fonction "show only for icon" was enabled !

:evil:

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

Suggestion: In many cases, when a new feature is added, there is a thread somewhere that relates to it, and I believe that was true here, so you might want to check these forums to see, as by reading those threads, one can better see how the feature came about and what it does.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

Nick Ray

Re shortcuts lnk

Post by Nick Ray »

I was wondering why a shortcut doesn't open up the file/application as a matter of course in the way explorer does? It's what I expected so was suprised that it doesn't work in that way.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Re shortcuts lnk

Post by admin »

Nick Ray wrote:I was wondering why a shortcut doesn't open up the file/application as a matter of course in the way explorer does? It's what I expected so was suprised that it doesn't work in that way.
Should work. What's happening in your case and what should happen?

Nick Ray

Shortcuts not working

Post by Nick Ray »

Hi.
It's very odd. I have created two shortcuts on my desktop. Both point to Excel files on my network. Within XY clicking one opens the application but clicking the other only opens the folder where the target file is. They both work fine from the desktop. I have checked some other situations and some lnk's work and some just go to the folder. Weird.....

admin
Site Admin

Re: Shortcuts not working

Post by admin »

Nick Ray wrote:Hi.
It's very odd. I have created two shortcuts on my desktop. Both point to Excel files on my network. Within XY clicking one opens the application but clicking the other only opens the folder where the target file is. They both work fine from the desktop. I have checked some other situations and some lnk's work and some just go to the folder. Weird.....
Which version do you use?

Nick Ray

Shortcut problem

Post by Nick Ray »

The version is 6.40.0000

admin
Site Admin

Re: Shortcut problem

Post by admin »

Nick Ray wrote:The version is 6.40.0000
Try the latest BETA version, it might be fixed! :)

Nick Ray

Shortcuts (lnk) not navigating to the document

Post by Nick Ray »

Thanks for the suggestion. v6.80 fixed the issue, thanks. Was this just a lucky guess or did you know it had already been fixed or did you put the fix in after my posting? I'm just curious how things get done at your end....
Many thanks for the prompt responses anyway. Impressive! :D

admin
Site Admin

Re: Shortcuts (lnk) not navigating to the document

Post by admin »

Nick Ray wrote:Thanks for the suggestion. v6.80 fixed the issue, thanks. Was this just a lucky guess or did you know it had already been fixed or did you put the fix in after my posting? I'm just curious how things get done at your end....
Many thanks for the prompt responses anyway. Impressive! :D
It was a coincidence. I had fixed it a few days before you asked.