Help.... can't find answer re tree / panes

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
JMichael

Help.... can't find answer re tree / panes

Post by JMichael »

Hi,

I tried, I really did. There are so many threads on here and none that I found which address my question. So...it's either there and I cannot find it or it hasn't been asked yet (find that hard to believe) or else my description / terminology is not in sync with the program (which is entirely possible).

OK.... here it is... Drumroll...

As most of us work in multiple directories at the same time for moving, organizing, housecleaning, etc, we often have two or many more active panes at the same time and I am almost always in dual / split pane mode sometimes wishing there could be more. But The tree is apparently tied to the single active pane. I am hunting the setting / option to split the tree with the panes so that I can see tree structure in the tree between different directories at the same time. Yes.... I could open panes for deeper levels of sub-folders but that sort of defeats the purpose. I'd simply like to navigate in a split pane with two separate directories which show the related tree structure in that neighborhood.

I've got 16+ TB of storage and there is a lot of accumulation of duplicate files and need for changing the filing paradigm (REALLY, REALLY WISH that there were columns for tags or that it would be possible to create a virtual file system in parallel to the physical file system. After changing HDD/SSD's and backup storage, I have layers of folders of duplicate content on different drives and have several duplicate cleaners to help with sorting old vs new vs versions, but on the simplest end it would be nice to be able to pull up panes and see synchronized trees for each pane (and would be even nicer if we could do a duplicate search with two panes synced. (Maybe it will do some of these things. My problem is partially dealing with the depth of options and knowing where and how to use them ( there's a lot of capability but the more capable the steeper the learning curve). And... the forum topics are so deep that finding an answer can be like looking for the proverbial needle in the haystack.

Thanks to whoever can help if there is a solution and can explain it in a way that I can find it without getting lost in the jungle of all the various options. Sad to admit, I sometimes still resort to Windows Explorer because for a given task it is quicker and easier than trying to figure out the equivalent solution in XY.

It's a great program... and it will be even greater if I learn how to really use it to its full capability.

Thanks to all.

Jay

RalphM

Re: Help.... can't find answer re tree / panes

Post by RalphM »

Welcome to the forum!

First up, there is no dual tree in XY and judging from past replies to such requests by admin not likely to happen anytime soon, please search for dual tree in the forum to find the various threads to the topic.
There are many other ways discussed to almost achieve this but read for yourself and decide which one suits you best.
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

JMichael

Post by JMichael »

Greetings Ralph,

Thank you for taking the time and courtesy of replying.

I got the drift that this question, in one form or another, was posted in one form or another (different wording / explanations), but there were so, so many threads and replies that it was hard to discern what the status was. So, as I was afraid, it didn't appear to be on the drawing board. It may not make the chore of doing some things impossible but it surely would have been a timesaver. There are an untold number of file managers out there, of which XY is certainly one of the best, but as with nearly every program ever written, there is always something that someone is going to want that just isn't there. That's why I usually end up with more than one tool in the box for just about every task, and even then, sometimes you don't have the exactly right tool. I have to credit XY though, it is one of the most powerful, feature-packed tools in the box.

Thanks again Ralph.

Warmest regards,

~J

jaywalker32

Post by jaywalker32 »

As a workaround tho, you can have two windows of XY open and docked to the left and right of the screen (Win+Left, Win+Right), each showing a single pane and the respective tree. Since dragging and dropping works between different windows of XY.