Preview CAD Files .dwg & .dxf

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
kevin

Preview CAD Files .dwg & .dxf

Post by kevin »

Hi All,
I imagine this has been asked and answered here but I just can't find it myself searching the forum. Any configuration, plug-in or tweak to view 2D CAD file types in the preview pane and floating preview pane? Just for simple quick viewing to zoom in and scroll around. I suppose not but just want to be sure.

Thanks & Regards,
Kevin
Last edited by kevin on 08 Aug 2019 11:55, edited 1 time in total.

highend

Re: Preview CAD Files .dwg & .dxf

Post by highend »

The 32-bit version of Quick View Plus allows XY to display them in the
preview pane and floating preview (and iirc Solidworks 15/16 has the
necessary 32-bit handlers as well)...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

kevin

Post by kevin »

Hello Highend,
Thanks for your reply and info, I looked at Quick View Plus and it looks comprehensive but seems to be a standalone program and pricey too. I was wondering about viewing natively in XYplorer, buying another program I'd like to avoid if possible, or I can use a free dwg viewer or the Autocad online viewer which works pretty well. Was hoping to view CAD files in the preview pane just for a quick look, not to do any editing.

Any suggestions or is this even possible in XYplorer? I saw a fellow trying to view Solidworks files but not clear if he had any luck, if they preview then a 2D dwg might also.

Thanks, Kevin

highend

Post by highend »

but seems to be a standalone program
It installs the necessary 32-bit handlers so that XY can use them
Any suggestions or is this even possible in XYplorer?
It is. With the necessary preview handler. Wherever you get them from...

kevin

Post by kevin »

Hello Highend,

Thanks for your reply, so I need a preview handler to preview the CADs, but I can't find anything like this searching the 'net, do you have a suggestion? Only post here is the fellow trying to view Solidworks files but not sure if that handler would cover CAD files as well. Not clear if he even found the solution although some members told him it's possible.

How about TurboCad, I have an old license (Deluxe version, the entry level) that I've been thinking of updating as I'm needing to do light editing to some dwg files. Otherwise I'm stumped by not finding the elusive preview handlers.

Any suggestions appreciated, thanks in advance.
Regards, Kevin

jupe

Post by jupe »

You say you couldn't find anything searching the net?, well one of the first results from my search was the following handler that could work. I know you want it to be free, which it isn't, but it is another option. I can't confirm it works, but going by their available info it should AFAICT, you'd probably need to email them to confirm that they really do support installing 32bit on an x64 OS if that applies to you (according to the top right of this page it supports 32bit https://apps.autodesk.com/ARCH/en/Detai ... 2309245223 )

https://shop.longbowsoftware.com/Previe ... er-SUL.htm

It requires AutoCAD 2013+ installed though as you can see by the info.

kevin

Post by kevin »

Hi Jupe,
Thanks for your reply and information, I would try it but buying Autocad is more than I really need, I'm not doing engineering just have need to view CADs at times to pull out info. I'll search around some more and maybe get lucky, please let me know if you come across anything that might be suitable -- must be others that need to preview CAD files in XYplorer, maybe one of them will jump in with their solution.
I would pay something reasonable for this, having a light-weight CAD program comes in handy to me sometimes. I have PDF-Xchange Editor installed so that covers me well for PDFs and keeps me out of the Adobe world.

Thanks & Regards,
Kevin

kevin

Post by kevin »

Looks like impossible to do in an affordable/simple manner, a real surprise knowing how capable XYplorer is to preview other file types.
Donald, how can I put this on the wish list for the future?
Regards, Kevin

highend

Post by highend »

If you can find 64-bit iFilters for them... v20.40.0000 supports these now^^

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Kevin, do you get a CAD preview in Explorer?

kevin

Post by kevin »

Hi Donald,
Sorry for missing your message,thanks for following up with me. Anyway no luck so far but I had to drop the search for awhile, and I see another user Notts asking about it too. Seems that Highend knows about this and can evaluate which program could be a handler for CAD files.

I would be willing to pay for a simple CAD viewer program that would also serve as a handler, I used TurboCad in the past but it's become too expensive and more than I need.

The file preview panes in XYPlorer are excellent and so useful, it's sort of frustrating that I can't see a CAD (just .dwg & .dxf) file as well!

I'll search around again and maybe another forum member has some new input on this.

Thanks and Regards,
Kevin in Barcelona

highend

Post by highend »

The old x86 version of QuickViewPlus (13) works just fine in XYplorer to preview .dwg and .dxf files...

The only problem: Don't ask me where to get it. Avanstar does only sell its (vastly overpriced with an annual subscription cost of 99$) successor nowadays...

kevin

Post by kevin »

Hello Highend,

Thanks for your quick reply and good to hear from you, you are a big help on the XYplorer forum, very glad that you're here.

Ahhh, I remember looking at QuickViewPlus some year ago but never bought it, at that price I'm glad I didn't. Makes me think it's owned by Adobe and that next year I would have to buy a bulky expensive suite just to use it!

I'll look around again for a light-weight, paid but affordable CAD viewer with simple tools, evaluate it and see if it works as a handler. If you have some suggestions then please forward them to me and I'll check them out. Another user Notts might be interested in this too, or maybe he's found a handler already.

I'll need to study up again on how I connect a CAD program to XYplorer, I know it's in an earlier post but if anything new regarding this then please pass it along.

Best Regards, Kevin

highend

Post by highend »

I've never had the need for any cad program / viewer myself, so I can't recommend anything in that direction, sorry...

mikeshick

Post by mikeshick »

I would like this as well. I have all the CAD software, but that does not automatically enable previewer in xyplorerer. Preview works in Window Explorer, but blank in XYplorer.