Redundant Tagging System

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
Luis Cherubini

Redundant Tagging System

Post by Luis Cherubini »

So, after using for a lot of time now, the way the tagging system works is really confusing to me. (and somewhat redundant)
The UX has a lot of friction, and by that I mean, you have a identical Pop-Up menu of checkboxes for both adding and removing tags:

Why not just leave set tags only? When you check the box, it marks, when you uncheck it, it unmarks, simple like that.
The "add tags" and "edit tags" also could be converted to only one menu...

Also, I cant find a way to remove tags using the catalog list as well, the only option available is to create a "add tag" collumn. But the best thing would be if you clicked a tag there it would tag it, and if you clicked again it would untag it.

Best!

admin
Site Admin

Re: Redundant Tagging System

Post by admin »

I personally don't use tags that much. But I'm open to improvement and I'd like to hear more opinions from other taggers...

jaywalker32

Re: Redundant Tagging System

Post by jaywalker32 »

I use tags a lot, but tbh I never use the menu to do it. I have set keyboard shortcuts and toolbar buttons for Add and Edit tags, which is much quicker.

But, Add and Edit must remain separate functions. When you select multiple files and do 'Add Tags', it will only add that tag. If there was only a 'set tag' option, then it will have to determine the 'current state' of all tags for all the files (which might differ), and 'Setting' a new tag might inadvertently also remove some other tag.

If I may also point you to a suggestion I made about the 'click to tag' method:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20600

Clicking on the column is really useful for color labels but unsafe for tags, since tags may be a long list of values which could be easily overwritten and lost.