Viewing multi-page PDF documents?

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
Moop

Viewing multi-page PDF documents?

Post by Moop »

Resolved, thank you!

Hi all,

I use XYplorer for work and I love it, but I'm having issues with viewing multi-page PDFs through the preview pane.

Basically: the first page of any PDF can be previewed. Previously, I could flip through pages of a PDF via the preview pane by left-mouse clicking on arrows that appeared at the bottom. Now the arrows don't appear and when I left mouse click on the preview, I just get an enlarged version of the page I'm already viewing.

I'm using XYplorer 20.0 and my default PDF viewer is Foxit Phantom PDF (I've also tried switching to PDF exchange viewer, but had the same issue). My OS is Windows 10 Pro and I've excluded XYplorer.exe and XYcopy.exe from Windows Defender. I can't pinpoint when this started, but I've been trying to fix it for a couple weeks and it may have begun after a Windows update.

I tried to do this on my own, but I'm not that savvy, so apologies if this is a silly question.
Last edited by Moop on 01 Jun 2019 02:46, edited 1 time in total.

klownboy

Re: Viewing multi-page PDF documents?

Post by klownboy »

Yeah, you should be able to page through the PDF files in the preview pane. I can using PDF XChange Viewer. Take a look at Configuration > Preview > Preview Formats. First look at what you have checked off for file formats under the category - "Office files" (in the top box, highlight Office Files). Look specifically for pdf files. There should be a check mark for *.pdf, PDF-XChange Viewer Documents provided that's still your PDF viewer or Foxit Phantom. Next look under the Category - "Text files". In that listing make sure that there is no check mark for PDF files in that category. See if that fixes the problem. If not I'd revert back to PDF XChange Viewer.
Windows 11, 23H2 Build 22631.3447 at 100% 2560x1440

Moop

Post by Moop »

Awesome, thank you! That fixed it!

I tried looking at the check boxes and all the settings appeared to be right, so I reinstalled PDF X-Change Viewer without making it my default program. Even though Foxit is still my viewer in the configuration settings, the previewer is working again without me changing anything withing XYplorer. Interesting! I appreciate the help.

Mr Bill

Post by Mr Bill »

Bravo!!

Run Adobe XI Pro (local). Had a problem with slow, very slow, loading of pdf images.
Abandoned XYp V14, 15, and even gave up on V20.
Tried PDF X-Change Viewer and a couple other viewer handlers with these.

Klownboy nailed it.
Needed to add one this one small step [to Method 2] to make this baby scream.

Method 2: Making PDF preview work while Adobe is installed
https://www.xyplorer.com/faq-topic.php?id=PDFpreview

In my case I had to un-tick PDF in the "Office Files" setting.
I did not see any PDF settings under the "Text files"
klownboy wrote: 01 Jun 2019 01:27 Yeah, you should be able to page through the PDF files in the preview pane. I can using PDF XChange Viewer. Take a look at Configuration > Preview > Preview Formats. First look at what you have checked off for file formats under the category - "Office files" (in the top box, highlight Office Files). Look specifically for pdf files. There should be a check mark for *.pdf, PDF-XChange Viewer Documents provided that's still your PDF viewer or Foxit Phantom. Next look under the Category - "Text files". In that listing make sure that there is no check mark for PDF files in that category. See if that fixes the problem. If not I'd revert back to PDF XChange Viewer.
Klownboy earned an upgrade to the rank of KlownMan.
Thank you.
Sorry, using a signature is not allowed for new users.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You un-ticked PDF in the "Office Files" and it works??? :shock:

Mr Bill

Post by Mr Bill »

I installed PDF X-Change Viewer again.
Yes I:
1. Un-ticked PDF, Adobe in "Office files"
2. Removed the reference to Adobe in "Use-defined handler files"
3. Then added the preview handler as described in Method 2

Even though I am using PDF X-Change Viewer, the handler annotates with with a reference ot Adobe in the "User-defined handler files" field.

What I pasted was:
pdf>{CF822AB4-6DB5-4FDA-BC28-E61DF36D2583}

How it reports is:
*.pdf, Adobe Acrobat Document > {CF822AB4-6DB5-4FDA-BC28-E61DF36D2583}, PDF-XChange PDF Preview Provider
Even though I rebooted, it still references Adobe, but all is fine. This must be a label in the code.

I have used it for a few hours and all seems to be running great.

Though this thread is titled "viewing multi-page PDF documents" it was the only thing I found that gave me something to work with.
I couldn't use XYplorer because of the PDF viewer. They were all slower than slow, or didn't display at all.
I couldn't use the software for work. Now I can.

Thanks again to Klownboy from Bill Johnson.
Attachments
2019-09-30_9-47-24.png
2019-09-30_9-47-24.png (39.31 KiB) Viewed 2504 times
2019-09-30_12-40-48.png
2019-09-30_12-40-48.png (7.98 KiB) Viewed 2504 times

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ah, I missed out that you used a "User-Defined Preview Handler".

lenraphael

Post by lenraphael »

XI don't understand why this speeds up opening of pdfs, but it seems to help quite a bit. I too had switched to PDF-Xchange Editor, full edition because Acrobat was extremely slow when opening up in either File Explorer or even XYplorer or any 3rd party apps. Tried every trick i could find etc. Speed was fine if opening in AA itself.

But there are 3rd party apps I use from Evermap and CPApaperless that only work w Adobe Acrobat.

So this solution is much appreciated.

Len from Oakland CA

Mr Bill

Post by Mr Bill »

This rocks like a champ.
Just to be clear, I use Acrobat XI Pro for my work.
The free PDF-X viewer is only used for viewing within XYplorer.
It works great, I can have my cake (Acrobat) and eat it too (view PDFs) in XYplorer.
Did I say this is works great?
You get the point.