size of pdf MDBU preview

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
klownboy

Re: size of pdf MDBU preview

Post by klownboy »

admin wrote: 28 Feb 2020 14:29 "Latest Stable Release: 2.5.322.10". I did not test this but I assume it works like 2.5.315.0.
Yes, free version 2.5.322.10 works fine where ever it interfaces within XYplorer. Recently I installed it on a new computer and also updated a laptop with no issues.
Windows 11, 23H2 Build 22631.3447 at 100% 2560x1440

fletch

Post by fletch »

I've written and erased 3 replies here tonight while testing this strange issue. I thought I had something figured out. But, before I go any further, how does MDBU display the preview? I think I just realized it's dependent on the thumbnail already being rendered. Then it just displays a blown up version of that? This would explain why it still works with no PDF-X software installed.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Both use a thumbnail generating function provided by Windows that has its own cache. The cache seems to be in %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer (thanks, jupe).

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

A side note - you can view the images within the thumbnail caches with https://thumbcacheviewer.github.io/. There's a command line version as well.

fletch

Post by fletch »

Yeah, thanks for the thumbnail cache tip.

Note also that you have to force XYplorer to rebuild all the thumbnails in order for those to reset and not be displayed there. Unfortunately, I think you have to do that for every folder, it's not recursive.

I did find a clear button on the Thumbnail settings page, but it just gives an error once you confirm the clear.

Looking at other options there, create all at once is DISABLED yet it still creates thumbnails for all files in a folder when it's loaded. Most of the time. Some of the time though it will avoid creating thumbnails.

fletch

Post by fletch »

I'm still uncertain how XYplorer renders the MDBU preview - directly from the thumbnail or via the registered PDF preview handler. It appears to use the thumbnail directly and not interact with the PDF handler. That conclusion is based on observations in the next paragraph.

On the subject of the thumbnail cache and the location provided earlier, I've found that once those thumbnails are generated, that affects how XYplorer displays the preview. For example, it's known that the PDF-X Editor handlers have changed to the point that the previews are tiny now. But even if you remove that and install the viewer (with the known good PDF preview handler), the previews are still small. But, if you find that cache and remove the thumbnail files - it took me several tries since some were apparently "in-use" - then when you go back to XYplorer, instruct it to rebuild the thumbnail, then the preview is full size again.

So that's what led to allot of confusion for me initially. Mostly the behavior of "it works on some files not others". That was because once removing the editor and installing the viewer, as long as I picked folders which thumbnails had not yet been generated, they all worked. It was the folders that had the thumbnails created by the editor which were "stuck" in small preview mode - until I removed the Windows explorer cache files described earlier.

So, here's a workaround if you like/want to have both the editor and viewer installed. First, to avoid total confusion you have to start by wiping any thumbnails from the windows cache. Otherwise XYplorer will see/use them and not generate new ones - even if you tell it to Refresh Thumbnails.

If you have the editor already installed, remove it. You might want to remove the viewer too - just to start from a clean slate but that might not be necessary. Then, install the viewer with MINIMAL settings - considering you're only needing the PDF handlers installed/registered and you'll be using the editor for all your other PDF needs. That will install the handlers that allow XYplorer to display the previews and thumbnails. THEN, re-install the editor but choose CUSTOM during install and don't allow the shell extensions to be installed.

It's standard practice, but I'm still giving kudo's to Tracker Software for following standard practice when creating these installers to provide this flexibility. Thanks again to jupe as well for sharing the location of those pesky/sticky thumbnails!

Viewer install
pdfx-VIEW-install.png
pdfx-VIEW-install.png (43.74 KiB) Viewed 3770 times
Editor install
pdfx-EDIT-install.png
pdfx-EDIT-install.png (150 KiB) Viewed 3770 times

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

fletch wrote: 29 Feb 2020 17:52 I did find a clear button on the Thumbnail settings page, but it just gives an error once you confirm the clear.
What error?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for the detailed report! As far as I understand the matter myself it's fully correct.

fletch wrote: 29 Feb 2020 19:01 I'm still uncertain how XYplorer renders the MDBU preview - directly from the thumbnail or via the registered PDF preview handler. It appears to use the thumbnail directly and not interact with the PDF handler.
Yes, directly from the thumbnail handler.

Dustydog

Post by Dustydog »

admin wrote: 28 Feb 2020 14:18 OK, I now installed PDF-XChange Editor 8.0.336.0 and can confirm that the previews and thumbnails are limited to a tiny 256x256 box, i.e. they are too small to be useful. Furthermore there is no multipage preview anymore at all. I'm not sure if that is a limitation of the Free Version (did not find any info on their website). At the moment it means that PDF-XChange cannot be recommended anymore as a PDF viewer. After 10 years. Pity.

Here some info for completeness (and before uninstalling it again):

Code: Select all

text get("previewhandler", "pdf");
  GUID: {9B68BDF7-95F9-4A1F-851C-27D822F8E3E9}
  DefaultName: PDF-XChange Preview Handler
  DisplayName: PDF-XChange Preview Handler

text get("thumbnailprovider", "pdf");
  GUID: {644D29FB-8692-49A6-B37D-D11A4CCC7A6D}
  DefaultName: PDF-XChange PDF Thumbnail Handler

I suspect they've gotten a fair amount of business - at the very least some - from this forum's recommendations. Why don't you contact the developers, oh benevolent dictator for life? I suspect what you have to say would carry some weight with them.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

As long as they keep the "Viewer" alive it's okay. I see that as a return for my promotion. :)

fletch

Post by fletch »

admin wrote: 01 Mar 2020 10:29
fletch wrote: 29 Feb 2020 17:52 I did find a clear button on the Thumbnail settings page, but it just gives an error once you confirm the clear.
What error?
Sorry for the delay, it seems that if you clear the cache while viewing a folder containing PDF's that have thumbnails, you get this error. Navigate to a folder containing no PDF's, clear cache works.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Again, what error so that? What does it say?

fletch

Post by fletch »

XY-cache_clear.png
XY-cache_clear.png (327.82 KiB) Viewed 3531 times

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Confirmed. When clearing the cache while thumbnails are shown you currently get this error. It's on my list.

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

I'm seriously considering purchasing PDF-Xchange Editor since I'm finding more and more reasons to modify existing PDF files or generate new ones. Has anyone purchased this lately or know if there still issues with the display of thumbnails or previews. I've been using the free viewer for many years now with no issues. Thanks.