Preview of Some svg Files Is Larger Than Preview Pane

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
DiamondGirl

Preview of Some svg Files Is Larger Than Preview Pane

Post by DiamondGirl »

I am testing XYplorer as a replacement for Windows Explorer, and overall it appears to be far more superior.

As far as I can tell, it does everything I need except for one thing: In the Preview Pane, my svg files are displayed actual size, so when the dimensions of the svg are larger than the Preview Pane, I am unable to see the entire graphic without having to use the scroll bars on the bottom and right of the pane.

This is not a problem if the dimensions of the svg are small, but I have several svgs where the dimensions are 2400px or more.

Windows Explorer resizes/zooms out and displays the files just fine. Is there a way to mimic this behavior in XYplorer and have the preview zoom out?

As it stands now, viewing svgs in XYplorer is completely unusable, as it kills my productivity to have to scroll on every file to view it.

It is worth noting that I have also tried to use the Floating Preview with the Configuration Settings set to: Preview > Preview > Floating and full screen preview: > Zoom to fit. The file still does not zoom out.

Thank you, in advance, to anyone who can offer any useful advice.

jupe

Re: Preview of Some svg Files Is Larger Than Preview Pane

Post by jupe »

Currently you can't zoom to fit SVGs, usually the preview is provided by embedded Internet Explorer page, which means if you focus the preview pane (mouse click on the image) that you can zoom in and out with Ctrl+Plus symbol and Ctrl+Minus (the ones near backspace key) but the zoom level will be remembered between files, not sure if that is any help.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Problem confirmed. Cannot do much about it.

But if you installed a 32-bit preview handler it should work in XYplorer (after you remove SVG from "Category: Web Files" and add it to "Category: Image Files" or "Category: Office Files"), e.g. this (I did NOT test it):
https://www.maketecheasier.com/view-svg ... -explorer/

PS: As you already noted in the thread title it's interesting that some SVGs do not have this problem.

DiamondGirl

Post by DiamondGirl »

Jupe: Ctrl++ and Ctrl+- did zoom in and out as you stated, so this was very helpful.

However, installing the 32-bit preview handler and changing Categories recommended by admin worked perfectly! Since my system is 64-bit, I had previously installed that version with no luck. It never occurred to me to try the 32-bit version, but that was the trick! (A note to anyone who tries this: I did uninstall the 64-bit previewer before installing the 32-bit version. I am not sure if having them both would cause issues since I did not test that.)

Thank you so much jupe and admin for your awesome advice!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for trying my tip! :biggrin: :tup:

DiamondGirl

Post by DiamondGirl »

admin wrote: 24 May 2019 17:00 Thanks for trying my tip! :biggrin: :tup:
You are welcome! :lol:
For others trying this awesome fix:
I began to have an issue with svgs that have white backgrounds. If I click on one svg then another and switch back and forth several times between two or more svgs, the white backgrounds turn black. This makes it impossible to see black svgs on white backgrounds, as the entire preview turns black. If the svg is in color with a white background, the background still turns black, but since the svg is in color, you can still see it. As you can see, this is a big problem if you have a bunch of files that are black and white.

After uninstalling and reinstalling several times, virtually ripping out my hair, and using many expletives I do not normally use, I have traced the issue back to the Windows thumbnail cache. (I neglected to mention that I am using Windows 10, so your mileage may vary.) The first thing I did was clear the thumbnail cache as instructed by Windows Central: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-rese ... windows-10. This worked temporarily, but I was able to recreate the problem almost immediately. I set out in search of a way to stop the thumbnails from being created in the first place, and I found these instructions to do it through the Group Policy from tips.net: https://windows.tips.net/T012716_Stoppi ... Files.html.

Bingo! I can now preview the whole svg without having to scroll and with the background no longer having a mind of its own. I have been testing this for a little while trying to recreate the problem, and the problem has not returned.

I hope this helps anyone who might have the same issue(s).

Disclaimer: Obviously, do not try this unless you are good with removing your thumbnails and having them no longer cache. This is what has worked for me, and I cannot be responsible for any issues that arise from your use of these suggestions.