Trying out XYplorer, a few questions

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
yogi

Trying out XYplorer, a few questions

Post by yogi »

I use 4 desktops for work / personal etc.
Each desktop has multiple windows open with different folders.
Used Windows explorer and was satisfied but if it crashed due to some reason all windows on all desktops crashed.
Since some time have been using Explorer++ portable and it is nice and simple.
Now trying out XYplorer and it is a bit overwhelming. I would like to know if following features are available :
1) For each desktop I have a batch file which opens multiple instances of XYplorer. However in each instance the folder opened opens in a new tab. The default tab with My PC is always open. Any way to open in single tab only?
2) How to open a folder in new window with keyboard. In Windows Explorer it is done with Ctrl+N. I need this many times to open a new window of a subfolder. Opening a new Tab is not what I am looking for.
3) How to open a folder in new tab with keyboard. I could not seem to manage this.
4) I understand that Catalog is very powerful but is there a simpler Favourites Horizontal Bar?
5) How to clone a window into a new instance easily?
Edit : 6) When I open multiple folders with batch file, all windows open exactly aligned on top of one another whereas in Windows explorer they are slightly offset. Can this behavior be replicated?

jupe

Re: Trying out XYplorer, a few questions

Post by jupe »

1. A config setting: Configuration | General | Startup & Exit | Open command line start path in new tab You can also right click your tab and set is as a Default tab
  2. You might have to setup a script to do this, and set your shortcut key via UDC. The script you would need would be something like this: run """<xy>"" /new ""<curpath>"""; you may need to customize that command to suit you exactly
  3. You might need to use CKS to set any key you want to this command #1043;
  4. No horizontal favorites, but there is normal Favorites Toolbar button and menu dropdowns etc. in addition to the catalog
  5. Use this menu item: File | Open Throw Away Clone
  6. You could also achieve this via scripting, if you decide to continue using XY I am sure you could learn to script this if you put the effort in.
If you are overwhelmed the best place to look is the help file, all features are fully documented.

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

yogi wrote: 25 Feb 2019 07:50 6) When I open multiple folders with batch file, all windows open exactly aligned on top of one another whereas in Windows explorer they are slightly offset. Can this behavior be replicated?
you can choose a semi-automatic solution as well: hold shift and right click on the XYplorer group icon in taskbar and choose cascade.
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

yogi

Post by yogi »

jupe wrote: 25 Feb 2019 14:48
  1. A config setting: Configuration | General | Startup & Exit | Open command line start path in new tab You can also right click your tab and set is as a Default tab
  2. You might have to setup a script to do this, and set your shortcut key via UDC. The script you would need would be something like this: run """<xy>"" /new ""<curpath>"""; you may need to customize that command to suit you exactly
  3. You might need to use CKS to set any key you want to this command #1043;
  4. No horizontal favorites, but there is normal Favorites Toolbar button and menu dropdowns etc. in addition to the catalog
  5. Use this menu item: File | Open Throw Away Clone
  6. You could also achieve this via scripting, if you decide to continue using XY I am sure you could learn to script this if you put the effort in.
If you are overwhelmed the best place to look is the help file, all features are fully documented.
The option "Open command line start path in new tab" is already unchecked but the default tab is still present.
Regarding other things, it seems bit complicated to me. I will try it out.