Copy - Paste - Rename

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
Trasd

Copy - Paste - Rename

Post by Trasd »

Hey folks - it's been awhile!

I have a question which I have been unable to find any reference to, anywhere.

I edit a lot of files, but before I do, I like to make a backup. To easily create a backup, I select a file, choose Copy, then immediately paste it by choosing Paste. This works with the toolbar or hot-keys.

If I select a file called SomeFile.txt and Copy\Paste it, I end up with another file called SomeFile - Copy.txt.

For the pasted file (SomeFile - Copy.txt), is there a way to change the text appended to the file name portion? Say, for example, I want the pasted file to be SomeFile - ORG.txt or ORG_SomeFile.txt?

I know I can do this with a script, but I would like to perform this task using the default Copy\Paste operations.

Any help will be greatly appreciated! BTW, I thought I saw a way to do this at some point, but I'll be damned if I can find it again (or, it could have been some other program in another OS).
Trasd

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." A.C.C.

"I'll tell you this, no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn." J. M.

jupe

Re: Copy - Paste - Rename

Post by jupe »

You can set what you want pre/suffixed here:

Configuration | Colors and Styles | Templates | Filename Affixes

but I think it only works with Custom Copy enabled:

Configuration | File Operations | File Operations | Custom Copy Operations | Use Custom Copy

or when you use Ctrl+D (Duplicate/Copy with increment) instead of what you are using currently (Copy+Paste), if done that way then it works with custom copy disabled too.

Trasd

Re: Copy - Paste - Rename

Post by Trasd »

jupe wrote: 16 Jan 2019 06:06 You can set what you want pre/suffixed here:

Configuration | Colors and Styles | Templates | Filename Affixes

but I think it only works with Custom Copy enabled:

Configuration | File Operations | File Operations | Custom Copy Operations | Use Custom Copy

or when you use Ctrl+D (Duplicate/Copy with increment) instead of what you are using currently (Copy+Paste), if done that way then it works with custom copy disabled too.
I'll keep poking around and see if I can come up with something. I'll probably just write a script and assign it its own hotkey. I just have to set aside a couple hours to do it (maybe less, as I already have a script to append file and directory names with the current date and I can modify it).

Thanks.
Trasd

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." A.C.C.

"I'll tell you this, no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn." J. M.