Opening Tabs In Background...?

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
thebib62

Opening Tabs In Background...?

Post by thebib62 »

When I MIDDLE-CLICK on a folder, I do NOT want XYPLORER to focus on the new tab. I want tabs to open in the background. I want focus to remain on the current folder I am in.

I have searched high and low for this setting, and I simply can’t find it.
How do I make XYPLORER behave like this?

thebib62

Re: Opening Tabs In Background...?

Post by thebib62 »

does my post make sense? if so, is it possible to do?

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

Hold the control key down when you click on a folder to open a new tab in the background. That should do what you want with a normal left mouse click or middle button click.
Windows 11, 23H2 Build 22631.3447 at 100% 2560x1440

thebib62

Post by thebib62 »

Thanks for your help, but it did not work. Nothing changes when I hold down CTRL. Tabs still open like they usually do.

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

Ctrl + LMB Click in the tree does exactly what you're asking for (at least here).
Ctrl + MMB Click might depend on your assignment of MMB.

Did you test it in a fresh instance?
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

Right click on a folder and the first menu item should be "Open in a new background tab". Make sure that in the Help menu "Keyboard shortcuts on Menu" is checked. Also go to the Help menu | List all commands...and then type in "background" in the filter box and see what comes up. That command should be Command ID #1008.

Leito

Post by Leito »

klownboy wrote:Right click on a folder and the first menu item should be "Open in a new background tab". Make sure that in the Help menu "Keyboard shortcuts on Menu" is checked. Also go to the Help menu | List all commands...and then type in "background" in the filter box and see what comes up. That command should be Command ID #1008.
Command #1008 is "Miscellaneous | Go To | Open Containing Folder in New Background Tab" and is not the same as the context menu "Open in a new background tab".

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

Leito wrote:Command #1008 is "Miscellaneous | Go To | Open Containing Folder in New Background Tab" and is not the same as the context menu "Open in a new background tab".
Yes you are right. They are different. I shouldn't have confused the issue with the Help statements.

BmoreClean

Post by BmoreClean »

Is there a way yet to set the default MMB folder select (in file list, NOT tree) behavior to open tab in background instead of automatically changing focus to the new tab, taking the user away from the previously active tab?

I have to believe there is a way to accomplish this since that's default behavior for any major web browser. I've searched and only found people suggesting to utilize CTRL + LMB in the file tree or right click and use the context menu to open folders in the background, but neither of those are as convenient as just being able to use the MMB to open a selected folder in a background tab WITHOUT taking focus away from the folder the user is currently viewing.

I would add that you could even add an additional setting to reverse the default MMB folder select behavior to open selections in the background UNLESS CTRL is held, in which case the MMB + folder select (in file list) would then, and only then, open the selection in a new tab AND change focus.
With these options available users are able to select the behavior which is most convenient for them.
Anyone spending significant time in XYp should be able to appreciate this as it would potentially save significant time/'physical' effort in user experience over a lifetime.
Think, what could you do with all those minutes saved from mouse clicks that shouldn't be necessary? How many cases of carpal tunnel might have been avoided if tabs just opened in the background without needing to perform additional point + click/keyboard + mouse combinations?I'm being facetious but hopefully the point is being made and I'm not alone in this train of thought.

If this does not exist yet then I highly suggest the devs implement this basic feature as long as it doesn't cause any other issues and isn't too complicated to achieve. With the high level of customization settings available I wouldn't think that adding this 'feature' would go against the program/devs "values" for lack of a better word.

Let me know if there's a solution that I'm overlooking and if not please raise awareness to this request to the developers, thank you.

driftingnarwhal

Post by driftingnarwhal »

Was there ever a solution to this? I would really like this feature in XYplorer.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sorry for the late reply! I will implement this as an option.

Actually I wonder if the current Configuration | General | Menus, Mouse, Usability | Mouse | Middle-click opens folder in new tab should not just do this (background tab)?!

Opinions? (I never middle-click myself)

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

admin wrote: 01 Oct 2020 15:36 Actually I wonder if the current Configuration | General | Menus, Mouse, Usability | Mouse | Middle-click opens folder in new tab should not just do this (background tab)?!

Opinions? (I never middle-click myself)
:tup: From me. For regular foreground opening I use the "+"-button.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Already done. Made it optional. Default to background. Making everybody happy is a success strategy. :mrgreen:

jupe

Post by jupe »

I just thought I would bring to your attention something, this new option affects the keyboard shortcut Shift+Click in the tree to open a foreground tab, it would be better (in my opinion) if it didn't so you could have the new middle click option enabled (for the list mainly) but still be able to open a new foreground tab from the tree. Also you wouldn't expect that behavior to be affected by enabling a middle click config option.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Of course, thanks!