List View Column Widths

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
StellarGreg

List View Column Widths

Post by StellarGreg »

Hi,
I'm new to XYplorer but already think it's fantastic! :appl:

My only issue so far is that I can find no way to enble Automatic Column Sizing in List View, like there is in the (truly awful) Windows Explorer.
When File names or Folder names are long they get truncated and currently the only way to resolve this seems to be to switch to Details View, size the Column manually and then switch back to List View. Now that just can't be right! :naughty:

I've searched the XYplorer.ini file for Column and got the following two entries that might be relevant -

AutosizeColumnsMaxWidth=0
; Tweak:
AutoSizeColumnsSkips=0

but as you can see no tweak is listed, so I'm not sure if these will do what I want?

(I did also search the Forum before this post, but came up with nothing that looked relevant - the Forum Search insisted on seperating the words even though I had included quotation marks to try to focus the Search - "List View" and "Column Width" - Not very clever! :blackstorm: )

Hope somebody here has the solution - if not then can I make the suggestion that this should be a my first "Feature Request"!

Greg

highend

Re: List View Column Widths

Post by highend »

Menu - Tools - Customize List - [x] Autosize Columns?
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

StellarGreg

Post by StellarGreg »

Thanks highend,
I suppose that's the problem with having so many damn options that one doesn't know if they exist, or how to find them...

Great - thanks :!:

Greg

slimokanta

Post by slimokanta »

When I make changes in Menu - Tools - Customize List, e.g. [x] Autosize Columns and I close the Tab and click on the left side in the treeview on the same folder, then the changes I made are reseted.

Is it possible to save the changes in Customize List?

Version: 18.70.0100

jupe

Post by jupe »

It sounds like your using FVS and it is resetting the folder view, you could either disable FVS if you aren't using it, or save a default folder view via

View | Folder View Settings | Define this Folder View as Default

or if it is only happening for you on 1 particular folder then just save that folders settings via

View | Folder View Settings | Save Folder View

https://www.xyplorer.com/tour.php?page=fvs

Also check out these options, if you still haven't resolved it:
Configuration | Colors and Styles | Styles | Apply list styles globally
Configuration | Colors and Styles | Styles | Remember list settings per tab

StellarGreg

Post by StellarGreg »

Hi Thanks Jupe,
I had the same problem as slimokanta in that this setting "Autosize Columns" kept on being re-set...

I've turned on "Apply list styles globally"
and turned OFF "Remember list settings per tab"

Anything to get away from the truly nasty "Windows Explorer" way of doing things with seperate settings for each folder!!

I might re-enable the "Remember list settings per tab" and see if it's useful but for now..

May I suggest that the option "Menu - Tools - Customize List - Autosize Columns" should either automatically set "Apply list styles globally" as well OR should have a sub link/click box to that setting. Otherwise the setting is really useless... It just gets re-set and re-set and re-set and re-set (memories of Windows Explorer!)

Thanks again! :lol:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

There was a related bug that got recently fixed (v19.50.0241 - 2019-01-24 15:27). I think this problem should be history now.