Incompatibility with "Actual File Folders"? (or similar software) :-|

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
Florian

Incompatibility with "Actual File Folders"? (or similar software) :-|

Post by Florian »

Hello,

I really like the little tool "Actual File Folders", which gives quick access to favorite folders and folder history via a title button or hotkey, see screenshot of normal MS Windows Explorer.

XYPlorer doesn't seem to support this tool out of the box? :cry: Is there any way to get this functionality back like in normal explorer windows?

(Yes, I know, I can get the same functionality within XYPlorer via favorites or catalogs. But "Actual File Folders" works UNIVERSALLY in all file-save-dialog-boxes within Windows 10: From any program you can e.g. save via CTRL + S and then use "Actual File Folders" to navigate to the folder you want. I don't want to do favorite folders TWICE with different software. So for me personally the inability to use this - for me important - universal windows favorite-folder-tool is a big problem of XYPlorer. Almost a No-Go.)

Thanks for any help!
Yours Florian
Attachments
2018-08-06 15.16.37 screenshot.png
2018-08-06 15.16.37 screenshot.png (19.91 KiB) Viewed 2054 times

kunkel321

Re: Incompatibility with "Actual File Folders"? (or similar software) :-|

Post by kunkel321 »

Same problem with a similar product called Listary. The fix seems to be to exit Listary, then open xyplorer, then start Listary. Maybe that will work for yours too (?)
ste(phen|ve) kunkel

yuyu

Post by yuyu »

Actually)) this tool isn't so little, occupying near 15 MB in Program Files...

suslo

Post by suslo »

in this thread i was speaking about the "different program" and the problems/incompatibility between it and xyplorer

this different program is called "actual window manager" and is developed by the same company ("actual file folders" is their program too)

i'm not even hoping that the huge incompatibility between xyplorer and "actual window manager" will be solved someday
but anyway i decided to write this whole post just in case

1 example of what is going on if we speak about these 2 programs:
"actual window manager" has many rules that may be applied to any window (including the xy's main window and its sub-windows)
these rules include:
- resize window automatically: fix minimal size to (in my case: width - 1902 pixels, height - 1231 pixels)
- resize window automatically: fix maximal size to (in my case: width - 1902 pixels, height - 1231 pixels)

the overwhelming majority of various programs obey such rules (of "actual window manager") flawlessly
but xy refuse to display itself correctly (after i launch the xy, it is displayed with incorrect sizes, then (after a second or 2) xy auto-changes its sizes and this time they are correct)
i don't know, maybe the VB6 is somehow responsible for this negative behavior of xy

highend

Post by highend »

A simple test...

Code is from: https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topi ... ent-741594
Add a button to XYplorers title bar.zip
(1.4 KiB) Downloaded 108 times
Slightly corrected (AdlibEnable does not exist anymore, replaced with AdlibRegister)

Compile and run it (it's an AutoIt script) and it will immediately add an (ugly) button to XYplorer's window title bar.

So back to Actual File Folders...
Testing on:
Total Commander 32bit: Works
xplorer² 32bit: Fails
Q-Dir 32bit: Fails

-> It does not depend on bitness

It fails on 3 file managers. So what does this tell us? A file manager does not automagically identify itself as "hey, I'm a file manager window" but
the program that wants to support it must use a way to identify it (normally class + eventually a part of the window title) and ofc provide a way to switch to a folder inside the app (like Listary does). In this case it just looks like that there is no support for these file managers inbuilt in AFF...

Their forum is a mess so I didn't try to confirm this theory over there...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

Jim-W

Post by Jim-W »

(after i launch the xy, it is displayed with incorrect sizes, then (after a second or 2) xy auto-changes its sizes and this time they are correct)
I had the same problem with Actual Window Manager, first thing to do in XY Configuration > General > Startup & Exit > Startup window state: "Normal"

Size and position exactly where you want it then in AWM (Specific Setting) set Position (drag the crosshair) then set the Size (drag the crosshair). I don't use Fix minimal size to or Fix maximal size.

I had to tinker with it a bit but works perfect now, no jumping or shifting positions.

Jim-W

Post by Jim-W »

I really like the little tool "Actual File Folders", which gives quick access to favorite folders and folder history via a title button or hotkey, see screenshot of normal MS Windows Explorer.
I think this an Actual Tools thing, for me it will only allow a Favorite Folders title bar button on Windows Explorer and nothing else even the hotkey doesn't work unless the mouse if hovering over a Windows Explorer window.