second auto-expansion of a folder in the tree

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
suslo

second auto-expansion of a folder in the tree

Post by suslo »

i came across some quite frustrating behavior of xy when it's the default file manager
i'm not sure if it's a bug or a feature or some simple setting is doing this or some strange thing is going on

example:
a) xy may be opened or not; foobar is opened (its playlist contains 1 album), foobar has the 'always on top' property, foobar occupies part of the screen
b) in foobar: select any song, run "Open Containing Folder" command
c) xy gets immediately opened/activated with this album selected in the tree (the corresponding path is auto-expanded). everything looks ok for now
d) then in the tree i manually collapse: this band's whole folder, then this genre's whole folder

e) then in ~14-15 seconds this album's path gets auto-expanded again (in case i do nothing or in case i just move the cursor)
or in ~12-16 seconds this album's path gets auto-expanded again (in case i scroll up in the tree)
or in ~16-18 seconds this album's path gets auto-expanded again (in case i scroll up in the tree and select some completely different folder)
or in ~15 seconds this album's path gets auto-expanded again (in case i make foobar active by just clicking somewhere inside its playlist and just selecting any line of the playlist)

additional notes:
- if i repeat those 2 manual collapses, then this album's path is NOT auto-expanded again. so the third auto-expansion is not happening
- if i don't perform any manual collapses, and just select some completely different folder, then in ~15 seconds this album gets auto-scrolled + auto-selected
- the 'lock tree' command is always disabled. but even if i enable it, the content of navigation panel is auto-changed (the album's files appear; while in the tree my selection disappears)

moreover, there is at least 1 another related problem:
after the "c)" part of the above example: foobar doesn't respond to its 'exit' and 'playlist manager' commands
it begins to respond after the moment when the second auto-expansion was done
in my foobar: the 'E' button runs the 'exit' command; the 'M' button runs the 'playlist manager' command

it seems that the problem is not appearing in case i run the foobar's "Open Containing Folder" command and then wait those ~15 seconds doing nothing at all. it sounds strange but it looks like there's some kind of ~15-second delay existing somewhere in xy

the problem is present in xy+foobar (Open Containing Folder)
but it is absent in xy+everything (main menu > file > open) (context menu > open) (context menu > open path) (context menu > xyplorer) (click on selected folder) ('enter' on selected folder)

the 'everything' program also has the 'always on top' property (like foobar); xy doesn't have the 'always on top' property
xy occupies all screen (except the taskbar); 'everything' occupies part of the screen

i use: xy 19.00.0207 (same troubles are also present in 19.00.01 and in completely fresh 19.00.0207 without any my customizations),
No-Install Package (RAR); path: "C:\Program Files\Xyplorer (Portable)"

1) Configuration | Shell Integration | Default File Manager | Scope - only for the current user
2) Configuration | Shell Integration | Default File Manager | XYplorer in shell context menu - yes (unchecking and rechecking didn't work)
3) Configuration | Shell Integration | Default File Manager | XYplorer is default file manager - yes (unchecking and rechecking didn't work)
4) Configuration | tabs | maximum number of tabs - 1
5) Configuration | tabs | reuse existing tabs when changing the location - no ('yes' does not help)

6) Configuration | Find Files & Branch View | Find Files | Show search results in - current tab
7) Configuration | Startup & Exit | Open command line start path in new tab - no
8) Configuration | Startup & Exit | allow multiple instances - no

9) Configuration | tree and list | tree | expand destination node in tree - no
10) Configuration | tree and list | tree | expand tree nodes on single-click - no
11) Configuration | tree and list | tree | auto-optimize tree - no
12) Configuration | tree and list | tree | check existence of subfolders in tree - yes (in network - yes)
13) Configuration | tree and list | tree | remember state of tree - yes
14) Configuration | tree and list | tree | scroll selected folder to the top - no

15) Help | Various Information | Command Line: [empty]
16) Help | Various Information | Command Normalized: [empty]
17) Help | Various Information | CopyData: "[path of the album]"
18) the 'lock location' command has no shortcut in xy, i don't use this command

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Directory\Shell\XYplorer\Command:
"C:\Program Files\Xyplorer (Portable)\XYplorer.exe" "%1"

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\Directory\Shell:
the "XYplorer" line is absent

how do i change the behavior of xy so that it never performed this unwanted second auto-expansion/auto-selection?

suslo

Re: second auto-expansion of a folder in the tree

Post by suslo »

(the 1st post was updated several times)

i also noticed that:
- (in case of xy+foobar) the content of navigation panel loses the selection (if any), in ~15 seconds
- the utorrent's "Open Containing Folder" command refuses to open/activate the xyplorer (the explorer is opened in any case: after the 'enter' is pressed or after the "Open Containing Folder" context menu item is clicked)

is this really the huge bug? it's always not normal if a file manager auto-changes the selected folder without any reason, without actions by a user/script
are there any thoughts, advices, suggestions? can anyone confirm this behavior when using xy+foobar?

xy+utorrent is also a problem but no strange behavior is present here: opening a path (from utorrent to xy) just doesn't work at all
(unlike xy+foobar where the problem is much more complicated and "interesting")

my system settings: control panel > folders > file types:
1. file folder > advanced > actions > "xyplorer" is set default
2. folder > advanced > actions > "xyplorer" is absent

highend

Post by highend »

- Zip your foobar configs / better: everything that belongs to it and provide a link?
the utorrent's "Open Containing Folder" command refuses to open/activate the xyplorer (the explorer is opened in any case:
Maybe utorrents commands are just hard wired to Windows Explorer?

A ~15 seconds "hidden" "XY does something" (that is NOT auto-refresh) but only in conjunction with foobar? Seriously?
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

suslo

Post by suslo »

foobar (8 mb)
this zip-file contains:
- the 'foobar' folder (no need to install, the foobar2000.exe should work)
- setup.exe (just in case)
Maybe utorrents commands are just hard wired to Windows Explorer?
i cannot know but seemingly you are right
A ~15 seconds "hidden" "XY does something" (that is NOT auto-refresh) but only in conjunction with foobar?
1. the auto-refresh option is always enabled in my xy (but its disabled state changes nothing: the problem stays)

2. this strange behavior of xy is only happening in conjunction with foobar (no problems in conjunction with 'everything search engine')

highend

Post by highend »

A little quiz...

Open a cmd prompt with admin permissions
Type this in:

Code: Select all

taskkill /im foobar2000.exe /f
Now open up foobar and your XY instance
"Open Containing Folder" from inside foobar
and collapse the tree in XY AND IMMEDIATELY
execute the command from the cmd prompt

Now guess what will happen and IF XY REALLY
DOES SOMETHING ON ITS OWN now...

suslo

Post by suslo »

what will happen
the unwanted auto-changing (of a selected item in the tree) is absent
and this knowledge/aspect doesn't solve the whole problem in any way

i wasn't saying that xy is to blame. i also wasn't saying that xy really did something on its own
but visually it looks like as if xy (not something else) does this auto-return to the folder (opened from foobar)

so what do we have now? for some reason foobar sends the "Open Containing Folder" command twice (with the 15-second delay). right?
but that's not all: (in xy) if i don't change the folder and just select any file inside the album's folder, then this file gets unselected in 15 seconds
so some kind of total auto-refresh is also present here (performed by foobar, not xy)

during those 15 seconds foobar doesn't let me to close it. isn't it weird?

by the way, the "/f" is not really necessary here

i found this very related thread (unfortunately, with no solution)
editing of the registry seems to be slightly promising. but i already spent many hours on this and have no more ideas at the moment

highend

Post by highend »

and this knowledge/aspect doesn't solve the whole problem in any way
Not? I tend to differ...
i wasn't saying that xy is to blame. i also wasn't saying that xy really did something on its own
Mh... For example:
how do i change the behavior of xy so that it never performed this unwanted second auto-expansion/auto-selection?
There is no behavior of XY to change, it DOESN't perform this auto-expansion without being triggered by an EXTERNAL app (foobar)...
isn't it weird?
Foobar is weird? Maybe I can agree on that...
but i already spent many hours on this and have no more ideas at the moment
Maybe upgrading to the latest stable version fixes the "I'll send something to the file manager found in the registry more than once"?