Folders with a lot of files charge very slow

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
javicozar

Folders with a lot of files charge very slow

Post by javicozar »

Hi,

I have a very important issue with folders that have a lot of folders inside: the amount of time that last while it charges is impressive, too long by any logical standard.

Let's see: I have a lot of .mp3 files inside various folders. Some of them have 1.000 .mp3s or even more. When I try to access these folders, XYplorer take a lot of time to charge. A lot of time means maybe one minute, sometimes more. This problem happens every time I access these folders, not only at first access.

Tried a lot of things to see if they work, for instance deactivate the "calculate folders size" and things like that. None of the things I've tried worked out well.

Is this a normal behavior? Don't think so, because Microsoft Explorer charges the same folders in a couple of seconds. Is there anything I can do to solve this problem?

Thank you in advance,

Javier

highend

Re: Folders with a lot of files charge very slow

Post by highend »

Which columns are shown and if there are any custom ones, how are they defined?
Each additional custom column takes additional time. If in doubt, switch any custom
columns from Tigger = Browse to Trigger = List...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

javicozar

Post by javicozar »

highend wrote:Which columns are shown and if there are any custom ones, how are they defined?
Each additional custom column takes additional time. If in doubt, switch any custom
columns from Tigger = Browse to Trigger = List...
I did exactly what you suggest and wow!! Now the time in charging folders with a lot of files has speed up dramatically... it takes only 1 or 2 seconds.

I appreciate very much your help. Improving this little situations makes me sure that I've chosen right when I purchased this outstanding software.

So thank you very much!!

javicozar

Very slow on folders with a large number of files

Post by javicozar »

Hi,
a few months ago I had an issue with folders with a large number of files: the time it took to charge all of them was extremely slow. You provided with a solution that worked at the time for me:

viewtopic.php?t=19090

Now I have again the same problem. The thing is that if I do what you said to me (change the Custom Column from Browse to List), it is true that the folder charges in a few seconds but then I have a problem with sorting using these custom columns: the program doesn't sort right, left out of the sorting a lot of files randomly. Besides, when I use the custom columns with the List option instead of Browse happens another issue: the columns don't want to do the Autosize Columns option all along the files, I have to click the Autosize Columns option several times doing scroll down in roder to achieve all the rows with its Autosize properly.

I don't know if there is anything I can do to solve this problem.

Thank you in advance.

Javi

highend

Post by highend »

There is only one, non dynamic way to change this:
Read what is necessary from these files (the metadata parts that you are displaying in the custom column(s))
and tag them afterwards. Then use custom columns that show these tags instead.

Yeah, it requires a manual refresh when new / changed metadata is affected but as I said: It's the only way
to keep it fast enough...

javicozar

Post by javicozar »

Ok, thank you for the quick answer.

I've created a couple of tags on about 4.000 files under the same folder just to do a test... but I'm stuck on the Custom Columns part: in the dialog box to edit a new custom column can't see anywhere how to invoke a tag.

How can I do that?

Again, thank you in advance.

Javi

highend

Post by highend »

If you do not want to setup a cc for a specific tag, you could save the info in an extra column and display
that instead. All extra columns are available without any further setup by right clicking the column header.

You need a system when doing this^^ E.g. extra column 1 = artist, extra column 2 = title, ...
or for tags: artist=..., title=...,

E.g. when using extra columns:
tag "<title of the current .mp3 file>", <curitem>, "ex1";

or when using tags and you followed the system above (this is the custom column script!):

Code: Select all

$tags = property("#tags", <cc_item>);
    return trim(replace(regexmatches($tags, ",?title=.+?(?=\r?\n|,|$)"), "title="), ",", "L");

javicozar

Post by javicozar »

Sorry, it's not that I don't want to setup a custom column with a tag, it's that I don't know how to do it.

How can I setup a custom column with a tag?

highend

Post by highend »

I've posted that script that belongs to such a custom column in my last post.
What am I missing here?

aminomancer

Post by aminomancer »

idk if this is related, but the only time any part of xyplorer was slow for me was before i defined exclusions in windows defender. so do the same, new process exclusion for whatever antivirus you use. xyplorer.exe is the relevant one but you should also do one for xycopy.exe