Hover to select frustrating

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
lian00

Hover to select frustrating

Post by lian00 »

Hello, I’m testing hover to select feature and I find it frustrating as, in list mode, the selected file "jumps" in the left side. And the hover pointing select another file that jumps to left and so on :biggrin:
Windows 10 64 bits

jupe

Re: Hover to select frustrating

Post by jupe »

I don't understand your comment, is there a question in there?, what jumps? what left side?

If you don't like the feature, don't use it, the people who requested it do like it.

See here for some config tips regarding the feature: https://www.xyplorer.com/release_19.00.php#SOH

lian00

Post by lian00 »

jupe wrote:I don't understand your comment, is there a question in there?, what jumps? what left side?

If you don't like the feature, don't use it, the people who requested it do like it.

See here for some config tips regarding the feature: https://www.xyplorer.com/release_19.00.php#SOH
Did I say I did not like it ?

Here is a capture. Selected file moves to left with all files.
test2.gif
test2.gif (529.9 KiB) Viewed 2222 times
Windows 10 64 bits

jupe

Post by jupe »

Sorry, frustrating usually means dislike, I misunderstood.

I think what you are demonstrating is just because that right hand column is partly overlapping out of the screen, if you disabled hover on select, and clicked on one of those files it would do the same.

lian00

Post by lian00 »

jupe wrote:Sorry, frustrating usually means dislike, I misunderstood.

I think what you are demonstrating is just because that right hand column is partly overlapping out of the screen, if you disabled hover on select, and clicked on one of those files it would do the same.
You are right (in thumbnail view), the problem does not occur). But in list view, if you don’t move the mouse, the files are moving automatically. So, it’s not very convenient but maybe there is a trick to prevent this.
Windows 10 64 bits

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Set this tweak:

Code: Select all

ListNoAutoHoriScroll=1
I wonder if this (tweak set to 1) should be the default behavior... :eh:

lian00

Post by lian00 »

admin wrote:Set this tweak:

Code: Select all

ListNoAutoHoriScroll=1
I wonder if this (tweak set to 1) should be the default behavior... :eh:
It does not seem to change the behavior :roll:
Windows 10 64 bits

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Indeed! :shock: Gonna check that...

UPDATE: Fixed in next beta.

suslo

Post by suslo »

I wonder if this (tweak set to 1) should be the default behavior
i think it should
but even just the existence of this tweak is a very positive moment
i remember that i set it to 1 immediately when i found the tweak

the "hover to select" feature is unfortunately behaving like it was in the beginning
i still notice that the delay is not correct which leads to many wrong selections, for example when rapidly moving the cursor from the list to the tree or vice versa

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

suslo wrote:the "hover to select" feature is unfortunately behaving like it was in the beginning
i still notice that the delay is not correct which leads to many wrong selections, for example when rapidly moving the cursor from the list to the tree or vice versa
No issues here. What is your delay?

suslo

Post by suslo »

i haven't decided yet which delay to use on a constant basis
but i can say for sure that these wrong hover-selections appear not only when i set the delay to 400 or 700 but even when it's 900

that's why i still use this feature during some special tasks only (like hover-selecting the multiple png-files when in thumbnails view)
while generally i have to keep the great 'hover to select' option disabled

i don't know what is the reason for this but it is seemingly my issue only since nobody else is complaining (and moreover: you say 'no issues')
so it seems that i cannot even ask you to fix something

lian00

Post by lian00 »

For the moment I cannot use properly the hover selecting function as it interfers the thumbnail view mode and I have some problem to use it correctly (it selects things I don’t want to be selected when I browse my files). Maybe it could be convenient to have an option to Shift+Hover to select files (I see the problem here: impossible to use Shift to select a lot of files). Or another key.
Windows 10 64 bits

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

suslo wrote:i don't know what is the reason for this but it is seemingly my issue only since nobody else is complaining (and moreover: you say 'no issues') so it seems that i cannot even ask you to fix something
Do you maybe expect that the delay only starts when the mouse is at a total halt? This is current NOT the case. The counter starts when the mouse enters the icon area of a file, and only resets when it enters the icon area of another file.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

lian00 wrote:For the moment I cannot use properly the hover selecting function as it interfers the thumbnail view mode and I have some problem to use it correctly (it selects things I don’t want to be selected when I browse my files). Maybe it could be convenient to have an option to Shift+Hover to select files (I see the problem here: impossible to use Shift to select a lot of files). Or another key.
1. In thumbnail view mode Select By Hover happens when you hover the caption (since there is no icon). Works fine. I don't see any interference.

2. Mmh, adding a key to a mousy feature? Meeh. I thought the whole idea of Select By Hover is that you can select with your whole arm, without moving your fingers.

suslo

Post by suslo »

Do you maybe expect that the delay only starts when the mouse is at a total halt?
no. i expect that the delay immediately starts in the moment when cursor enters the icon area (and of course the cursor may be moved at different speed above the icon)

for me this situation will most likely remain the mystery because, for example:
in regular explorer i have the 125ms delay. in xyplorer i have the 900ms delay

in both programs i move the cursor (from tree to list, then from list to tree) with equal speed (quite fast)
in explorer: not a single item is incorrectly selected
in xyplorer: some items could be incorrectly selected very soon (after ~ 3-7 seconds of such cursor-movements)