Paper folders question

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
eggeak

Paper folders question

Post by eggeak »

For example, if I have a paper folder of /F/Images

Is it possible for that paper folder to update any new files I throw into the real /F/images folder? Or does it need to be done manually?

highend

Re: Paper folders question

Post by highend »

Paper folders are just .txt files. XY doesn't monitor anything related to their content (and it wouldn't make much sense
because they do not necessarily contain items from a single folder). So you should update them either manually or write
an application that does it in the background (e.g. via AutoHotkey / AutoIt or any other simple language)
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

jupe

Post by jupe »

I am not sure why you would want a Paper Folder that mirrors an actual folder, but if that's what you want to do you could use a shortcut similar to below to update the paper folder every time you access it:
  • paperfolder("INSERT_NAME_HERE", quicksearch("/f", "?:\F\Images"));
Keep in mind this will also remove files if they no longer exist, even with Allow Zombies enabled. Customize the parts in red if you intend to use it, and you can change the quicksearch switches if you don't want folder recursion etc.

WirlyWirly

Post by WirlyWirly »

I've been trying to use the code snippet pasted above to update/generate a paper folder whenever I access it.

I have a library split between 3 drives because I can't fit everything on a single drive. Each of these 3 folders gets updated regularly with new files/folders. I'd like to use a paper folder so that I can browse the contents of the 3 folders as if it was all a single folder.

I've been trying to get this to work but I'm not having much luck...

Code: Select all

paperfolder("Library", quicksearch("* /n", "A:\Library\1"__"B:\Library\2"__"C:\Library\3", separator="__"));
I essentially just want a paper folder that will update with the contents each named folder, NOT recursively to all the thousands of child-folders. Can anyone help me with this syntax?
Last edited by WirlyWirly on 21 Nov 2021 01:01, edited 2 times in total.

highend

Post by highend »

Read the examples section of quicksearch() again (and again) and you should find it out yourself...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

WirlyWirly

Post by WirlyWirly »

I had a few typos and bad quotations, but I ended up getting it to work.

I was trying to load the paper folder from a scripted menu, which already uses | as a separator. It wasn't playing nice with even more | on the same line, so I put the paperfolder() function into its own .xys and instead called it from my menu script using
load

# Menu script
Paper Folders||
	Library|load "<xyscripts>\Paper Folders\Library.xys"|"<xyicons>\Paper Folders\Library.ico"

# Library.xys
paperfolder("Library", quicksearch("* /n", '"A:\Library\1\"|"B:\Library\2\"|"C:\Library\3\"'));