XY Disk Cataloger

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
oskar23

XY Disk Cataloger

Post by oskar23 »

Hi All,
I know other people have asked that question but it seems it never came to a conclusion or possibility.
I do have "Win Catalog" to catalog all drives on hand, but as always in life, you want something more and so my question is, is it a possibility to have a full fledged Disk Cataloger, like the one mentioned, integrated into XYplorer? Advantage, one place does it all.
Thanks

jupe

Re: XY Disk Cataloger

Post by jupe »

Not to speak for the developer myself, but all the best replies you are probably going to get are in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14386

It really depends on how in depth you want to go with your "cataloging", everyone's needs are different, keep in mind XY is designed as a file manager not a cataloging program, although it does provide some tools that have some overlap, and they might be enough for your needs they might not.

Click & Search, Tags, Labels etc are great for file management, if you want to research what XY can do currently, here is a good place to start:

https://www.xyplorer.com/product.php#features

Nighted

Post by Nighted »

I've recently thought about this as well.

I'd like to suggest something I would call "Paper Database". I think the foundation is already there. XY is a file manager, and part of managing local files often ties in with any backups that are air gapped.

Paper database....paper database...paper database... :ugeek:
I want XY to serve soft ice cream. Please Don, make XY serve soft ice cream.

jupe

Post by jupe »

Nighted wrote:Paper database....paper database...paper database... :ugeek:
Is something like this what you mean by Paper database?

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=13740

Nighted

Post by Nighted »

jupe wrote:

I'll play around with it and let you know.

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

Word of caution, after trying several times to achieve this on my own (also with the help of others in different occasions and projects): scripted solutions will never perform well unless certain conditions are met (and no, I refuse to go beyond this point towards an open discussion on this matter, sorry).

On the other hand, yes, I'm eagerly waiting for an XY native take on that feature for a good couple of years now in hopes that performance issues will not be a problem anymore when it comes to disk pseudo-ghosting/fake imaging/'cataloging'. For the time being, ZeroZipper/TreeSize are my favorite alternatives, after being dumped by OCDB lack of compatibility on newer systems (win7 onwards, I guess).
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!
Want a new XYperience? XY MOD - surfYnXoard
-coz' the aim of computing is to free us to LIVE...

Nighted

Post by Nighted »

jupe wrote:

Zero byte solution...too slow, even on a RAM drive. I've tried a similar method myself as a quick fix in a pinch. It works but is not ideal when cataloging thousands of dirs/files.

I've also discovered that for some reason I can not search/live filter a path of 4,083 zero byte contents in branch view mode. Does-Not-Work. :blackstorm:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Nighted wrote:I've also discovered that for some reason I can not search/live filter a path of 4,083 zero byte contents in branch view mode. Does-Not-Work. :blackstorm:
:? Please explain...

Nighted

Post by Nighted »

admin wrote:
Nighted wrote:I've also discovered that for some reason I can not search/live filter a path of 4,083 zero byte contents in branch view mode. Does-Not-Work. :blackstorm:
:? Please explain...
Sorry Don, my bad. :oops:

There were so many folders that the filter seemed not to be filtering anything and searching from the address bar didn't seem to be finding anything either...until I unticked "Let folders pass all filters".

I need a vacation. :beer: :beer: :beer: