select special

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
suslo

select special

Post by suslo »

example: there are 1000 png-files in 1 folder. the view is 'thumbnails' (128x128)
i constantly have to look through ~100-300 of these files and delete those which are not needed anymore

in regular explorer it is only necessary to hover the files that will be deleted (no clicks are required to select the files, only multiple hovers. which is much easier)
in xyplorer i have to click on each file to select it (~100-300 clicks are required)

is there a way to do something? (some ini-setting? a script?)

highend

Re: select special

Post by highend »

Nope

You could easily do this by writing e.g. an AHK script that communicates with XY via WM_COPYDATA to get the item under the current mouse position via the script command itematpos() and then send back a selectitems command to select it (after some kind of "mouse did not move for <x> milliseconds)...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

suslo wrote:in regular explorer it is only necessary to hover the files that will be deleted (no clicks are required to select the files, only multiple hovers. which is much easier)
Select multiple files by hovering them? Not here. :? What's the setting?

suslo

Post by suslo »

in case of my windows-2003 (and its regular explorer) it looks like this:

1. in control panel -> folders you should have this setting enabled: single-click to open an item (point to select)

2. then ctrl should be in a pressed state. you may do it manually but it is not comfortable
or you can make a very simple rule in a corresponding program for remapping of keyboard buttons
i use 1 freeware program for remapping ('keyboard maniac') and 1 not freeware for several other buttons

there my old and reliable rule is: pressing on the left shift (you may want to choose another button) starts the macro which presses ctrl and holds it
in my case pressing on left ctrl deactivates the pressed state of ctrl (in other words, it makes the macro stop)

3. so having the ctrl in a pressed state (without actually touching the ctrl button), you just move the cursor from 1 file that should be selected to another
since it's thumbnails, i see which file i should select and which has to be left untouched/unhovered

in xyplorer: the whole 'ctrl' part is not necessary since we have the 'sticky selection' feature implemented

i understand that all these words may sound unusual so please don't judge strictly
it's my workflow, it has been in use since ~2009. it's still in use. it's fast and convenient as hell
i use it all the time and i miss such possibility in xyplorer

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I see, you are using an extra program for remapping. You forget to mention that when you said "in regular explorer it is only necessary to hover the files"... :)

suslo

Post by suslo »

the 'multiple hover to select many items' feature is available even if i don't use an extra program for remapping
the only difference is that in pure regular explorer i will have to hold the ctrl button myself

which is ok when it is necessary to select 2-3 items
but an additional help/script/program is really necessary if there are 100 items
and it's normal if such help is used. after all, xyplorer is laced with such help (known as 'scripts')

by the way, thanks for the outstanding program
as much as i can i'm trying to dedicate time and efforts to customize it to my taste so that xyplorer was closer to perfection

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I still cannot manage to do this in File Explorer (Win8.1). :?

highend

Post by highend »

:mrgreen:
1.gif
1.gif (131.74 KiB) Viewed 2085 times
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

suslo

Post by suslo »

admin, that is strange
the corresponding 'single-click to open an item (point to select)' option is present in win8.1

i suppose that you have this option enabled and you also do not forget to hold ctrl when hovering

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

suslo wrote:admin, that is strange
the corresponding 'single-click to open an item (point to select)' option is present in win8.1

i suppose that you have this option enabled and you also do not forget to hold ctrl when hovering
Got it: I also had "Use checkboxes for selection" (or so, translated from German), and with this ticked it does not work. Now I unticked it and it works here. Looks like you need to hover for 1 or 2 seconds then it gets selected, right?

suslo

Post by suslo »

Looks like you need to hover for 1 or 2 seconds then it gets selected, right?
it depends on your system settings

i use a well-known portable freeware utility called 'Tweak UI for Windows' (version: 2.10.0.0) (size: 260 kb)
i don't know if it works in win8.1 or not

there a setting can be found: main menu -> mouse -> hover -> hover sensitivity (i chose 2); hover time (ms) (i chose 125)
a special icon is also available there (for testing your hover settings)

to me 125 ms turned out to be a good, reliable and habitual value
i cannot recollect the exact value of the system default setting but it is probably ~1000 ms

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I gave it a shot. Check out the next beta (v18.90.0111).

Nighted

Post by Nighted »

admin wrote:I gave it a shot. Check out the next beta (v18.90.0111).
This breaks hoverbox. :naughty:
I want XY to serve soft ice cream. Please Don, make XY serve soft ice cream.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, you can't have everything at the same time. But you can get pretty far if you untick this: Configuration | Information | File Info Tips | Show info tips only when hovering file icon

Nighted

Post by Nighted »

admin wrote:Well, you can't have everything at the same time. But you can get pretty far if you untick this: Configuration | Information | File Info Tips | Show info tips only when hovering file icon
Nope, that doesn't work either. lol
I want XY to serve soft ice cream. Please Don, make XY serve soft ice cream.