questions about tabs

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
suslo

questions about tabs

Post by suslo »

1. how to completely hide an info tip (balloon tip) which appears when hovering a tab? it appears after ~ 1 second
or at least how to change the initial delay to much bigger value? (for example, to 32767 milliseconds)

2. there is an option: scrolled toolbar wraps. is there a way to have the same in tab bar? example:
if the last tab is selected, scrolling down activates the 1st tab
if the 1st tab is selected, scrolling up activates the last tab

3. when scrolling up, the previous tab becomes selected
when scrolling down, the next tab becomes selected
how to make it vice versa?

4. it is possible to add the current tabs to the catalog: insert as new category here > tabs
a) but tabs with branch view are auto-excluded. how to add all tabs?

b) (in catalog) inserted tabs do not reflect the state of tabs which are present in tab bar
examples: a deleted tab (from tab bar) stays in catalog; a created tab (in tab bar) does not appear in catalog
is it possible to have the tabs in catalog auto-synchronized with tabs in tab bar?

admin
Site Admin

Re: questions about tabs

Post by admin »

That's a mixture of wishes and questions. Let me pick out two:
suslo wrote: 1. how to completely hide an info tip (balloon tip) which appears when hovering a tab? it appears after ~ 1 second
or at least how to change the initial delay to much bigger value? (for example, to 32767 milliseconds)

4. it is possible to add the current tabs to the catalog: insert as new category here > tabs
1. Not possible. So you don't like it? I agree it comes quite fast. I could raise that time a bit...

4. a) but tabs with branch view are auto-excluded. how to add all tabs?

4. b) (in catalog) inserted tabs do not reflect the state of tabs which are present in tab bar
examples: a deleted tab (from tab bar) stays in catalog; a created tab (in tab bar) does not appear in catalog
is it possible to have the tabs in catalog auto-synchronized with tabs in tab bar?
a) Actually tabs with search results are excuded (i.e. tabs that will run a search); that was from before branch view was invented. I could change it so that branch view tabs are included here. Okay?

b) No. :)

hari3

Post by hari3 »

I too don't like balloon tip on hovering a tab,kindly disable it.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

There are so many balloon tips in XY that cannot be disabled or configured. I don't know if I want to start this. I guess there are just some things you have to accept.

Maybe for tip haters, I can add a global "No tips, thanks" option...

suslo

Post by suslo »

I could change it so that branch view tabs are included here. Okay?
ok
Maybe for tip haters, I can add a global "No tips, thanks" option
in my opinion that would be a good option. especially if the tips disappear from tree and status bar too

hari3

Post by hari3 »

Actually you think well,what's the use of a balloon tip,because the tab name is already visible .

jupe

Post by jupe »

hari3 wrote:Actually you think well,what's the use of a balloon tip,because the tab name is already visible .
It isn't always visible though is it? like when you have tabs iconized, or too many to fit, it also has info on like the locked state/location etc.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

suslo wrote:
Maybe for tip haters, I can add a global "No tips, thanks" option
in my opinion that would be a good option. especially if the tips disappear from tree and status bar too
Done. :cup:

suslo

Post by suslo »

thank you very much for the new 'show tooltips' option which lets me forget about tips above the toolbar and status bar

1) concerning the toolbar without tips: i've already almost memorized the meaning of all my 63 text-buttons (53 with short text, 10 are empty)
it turned out to be less difficult than i thought

the titles include: New, Cop, Calc, Dow, For, Sib-F, Sib-L, Stat, LS, FM, FS, FT, Fol-, Fil-, KS, HS, S-To, Man, Prev, Re-S, Stic, Chec, Sel, SF, BFS, Fol, flac, cue, txt, Act, BV-F, Hi-L, Hi-M, Rec, View, Flo, Dual, SB, Conf

10 empty text-buttons visually are convenient separators
but they are useful not only as separators: all of them are sequentially assigned to these 10 main menu entries: File, Edit ... Panes, Window

2) concerning the status bar without tips: no problems as well

3) concerning the tab bar (and catalog) without tips:
i eventually decided to hide the tab bar and catalog completely (there are various reasons, mostly visual ones)
and no problems so far. 1 tab is enough (it's not that bad as it may seem). dual pane is quite useful (from time to time)

4) concerning the tree with tips: this is the huge problem for me. these tips distract a lot
i speak about those tips which appear when hovering the very beginning of a line (~ first 3 symbols of a folder title)
the problem is not small because i have many hundreds of folders with titles like: 0-9, A, An, Ap, B, Bl ... O, Or ... S, Se, Si ...
and in all these cases i'm doomed to see those tips constantly while not needing them at all

it is more or less ok to see the other type of tips in the tree (the tips for a folder titles that do not fit horizontally)
though i would have preferred to turn them off as well

the thing is that i even cannot adjust the delay for the tree tips (they appear very very soon: ~ after half a second)
if you only knew how i wish i could change it to something like 32767 ms (or just disable them all)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

suslo wrote:4) concerning the tree with tips: this is the huge problem for me. these tips distract a lot
i speak about those tips which appear when hovering the very beginning of a line (~ first 3 symbols of a folder title)
the problem is not small because i have many hundreds of folders with titles like: 0-9, A, An, Ap, B, Bl ... O, Or ... S, Se, Si ...
and in all these cases i'm doomed to see those tips constantly while not needing them at all

it is more or less ok to see the other type of tips in the tree (the tips for a folder titles that do not fit horizontally)
though i would have preferred to turn them off as well

the thing is that i even cannot adjust the delay for the tree tips (they appear very very soon: ~ after half a second)
if you only knew how i wish i could change it to something like 32767 ms (or just disable them all)
I get those tips only when I hover the folder icon in the tree. I will make them disappear if 'show tooltips' if OFF in the next beta.
Untick this: Configuration | Information | File Info Tips | Show tips for clipped tree and list items

"~ first 3 symbols of a folder title"? I get no tips here. :?

suslo

Post by suslo »

Untick this
now i feel like an idiot. such a brilliant, fast and simple solution. and i certainly should have figured it out myself
(i even had this option unticked for some time. but it was active during the recent weeks)

it is not important already but here is some info just in case:
in 'main menu > tools > customize tree' i constantly only have 2 ticks: show expansion icons, rename on slow double-click