about Paper Folders

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
kuiwu_cn

about Paper Folders

Post by kuiwu_cn »

(1) Why should Paper Folders have to be used with *.txt? If I can customize the suffix name, for example, set it to *.xyp, and I click *.xyp file, I can open the paper folder directly.

(2) Why can't I create folders in Paper Folders?

highend

Re: about Paper Folders

Post by highend »

1. What do you mean by opening "directly"? You mean double clicking a paper folders .txt file opens it as a paperfolder in XY?
Use a custom file association for .txt and write a script that checks if the .txt is from <xypaper> and if yes, open it as paperfolder, otherwise
use the system association to open it

or less advanced: A script which just checks if it is from <xypaper> and a leading "|" in the cfa definition so that it is only used when opened via "Open with..." from the context menu. Drawback: Not double clickable...

2. Care to explain? Folders in paper folders .txt files work fine for me...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

kuiwu_cn

Post by kuiwu_cn »

(1) I want to open a folder. I just double-click. Why can't I open the Paper Folders and use double click to open it? This is very simple and practical.
I can write a script. If the Paper Folders is on the E disk, for example, "E:\OC8051 Project\Test.txt", how do I decide if this is a Paper Folders or a text file?

(2) If there are many files in the Paper Folders, I hope to classify them. I hope to create several folders in the Paper Folders for classification.

highend

Post by highend »

If the Paper Folders is on the E disk, for example, "E:\OC8051 Project\Test.txt", how do I decide if this is a Paper Folders or a text file?
In other words, your paper folder .txt files are scattered all around your file file systems and <xypaper> does NOT resolve to "E:\OC8051 Project"?
Imho that wouldn't make sense, they are bound (as a concept) to XYplorer...

Apart from that, you could tag your .txt files that are not in <xypaper> and then check for the tag in that script file to identify them...

You want subfolders under the path <xypaper> refers to? Why exactly is this a problem?

kuiwu_cn

Post by kuiwu_cn »

(1) Such a good function! Why do Paper Folders have to be placed in the <xypaper> directory? I can always create Paper Folders at any time, and I can put them in any directory.
I will write the script. What do people who can't write scripts do?

(2) There are 6 files in the Paper Folders. I want to classify them. What shall I do?

Code: Select all

E:\OC8051 Project\A.c
E:\OC8051 Project\B.c
E:\OC8051 Project\C.c
E:\USB3.0 Project\A.v
E:\USB3.0 Project\B.v
E:\USB3.0 Project\C.v

highend

Post by highend »

Why do Paper Folders have to be placed in the <xypaper> directory?
They don't have to. But it's obviously more difficult to identify them if they are not.
What do people who can't write scripts do?
They normally ask for help?
I want to classify them. What shall I do?
What exactly is "classifying" in this case? Tagging them? Sorry but if you don't start to
getting as specific as possible I'm stopping my support. No time to make assumptions / guesses
all the time...

jupe

Post by jupe »

If by classifying files as paper folders you mean you want to open them as a paperfolder, you do realize you can setup a button or anything to run them as paper:<curitem> with one of those files selected. I think a better idea for you would be prefix (or suffix) paperfolder files that aren't in <xypaper> with something like pap_filename.txt then having a portable file association to always open those files as paperfolders, then you could just double click them to open, dependent on your PFA settings.

something similar to this:

"Paper Folder Files|:paper"pap_*.txt>goto "paper:<curitem>";
Personally I don't like the idea of changing the extension of paperfolders by default, if that is what you are trying to suggest, alternatively you can use the same method as above to use the extension xyp if you really wanted, like:

"Paper Folder Files|:paper"*.xyp>goto "paper:<curitem>";
Then just use that extension when you create paperfolder files, you could even give it a paperfolder icon via custom file icons if desired.