questions about branch view

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
admin
Site Admin

Re: questions about branch view

Post by admin »

Success! Next beta...

suslo

Post by suslo »

1) 19.00.0009-beta displays the correct sort order of those 4 folders
so all sort orders are ok (if the "natural numeric sort order" is disabled)
i hope that in the future there will be no bad surprises or huge inconveniences due to the fact that "natural numeric sort order" is disabled

i already try to alter my habit when it comes to names like 1.txt, 2.txt...
i'm not happy about it but now it's better to name them 01.txt, 02.txt right away (in order to avoid further nuisances in all or almost all cases)

2) there's another problem related to the details view and to the way the items are displayed in list view and in details view
this problem is visually tiny but nevertheless it is bugging me (for a long time)

the thing is that the whole content of the navigation panel is always slightly auto-shifting to the left (when i switch from list view to details view)
when later i switch from details view to list view, then this content is auto-shifting back where it was
the shifting is small (1 or several pixels) but to me it's noticeable perfectly. examples:

a)     columns: name     sort by: name ascending     sort folders apart: yes     views: list
xy-main5-suslo.png
xy-main5-suslo.png (68.65 KiB) Viewed 2182 times
b)     columns: name     sort by: name ascending     sort folders apart: yes     views: details
xy-main6-suslo.png
xy-main6-suslo.png (68.65 KiB) Viewed 2182 times
the difference is in the empty space between the vertical splitter and the icons of folders
the question is: what should i do so that the content always stayed at exactly same place? (when switching from list view to details view)

the ini-file contains this:

Code: Select all

; Tweak: right-padding of columns
ListDetailsColumnsSpacing=0
; Tweak: left-padding of columns
ListDetailsColumnsSpacingLeft=1
ListsLineSpacing=0
changing the ListDetailsColumnsSpacingLeft to 0 or to -1 or to 2 does not help

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

suslo wrote:1) 19.00.0009-beta displays the correct sort order of those 4 folders
so all sort orders are ok (if the "natural numeric sort order" is disabled)
i hope that in the future there will be no bad surprises or huge inconveniences due to the fact that "natural numeric sort order" is disabled

i already try to alter my habit when it comes to names like 1.txt, 2.txt...
i'm not happy about it but now it's better to name them 01.txt, 02.txt right away (in order to avoid further nuisances in all or almost all cases)
I'm not aware of a problem with "natural numeric sort order". Can you give an example?

suslo

Post by suslo »

1)
Can you give an example?
- the earlier-mentioned folder named 0-9 is sorted differently in tree and navigation panel (when the "natural numeric sort order" is enabled)

- natural numeric sort order > enabled     views > details, branch view     sort by > path ascending:
if names of folders begin with ( and with [ and with 1 (or other number), then these folders are also sorted differently in tree and navigation panel

the correct order in tree: ( [ 1 2 A B Z
the wrong order in navigation panel: 1 2 ( [ A B Z

2) is the described 'shifting' problem a bug? or is it some my setting leading to such unwanted shifting?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

suslo wrote:1)
Can you give an example?
- the earlier-mentioned folder named 0-9 is sorted differently in tree and navigation panel (when the "natural numeric sort order" is enabled)

- natural numeric sort order > enabled     views > details, branch view     sort by > path ascending:
if names of folders begin with ( and with [ and with 1 (or other number), then these folders are also sorted differently in tree and navigation panel

the correct order in tree: ( [ 1 2 A B Z
the wrong order in navigation panel: 1 2 ( [ A B Z
No such issue here. Maybe it's an old Windows bug in your Win 2003 Server?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

suslo wrote:2) is the described 'shifting' problem a bug? or is it some my setting leading to such unwanted shifting?
Different view, different metrics. Shrug. Much bigger things change when you change the view. Why should this particular little thing stay fixed?

suslo

Post by suslo »

Why should this particular little thing stay fixed?
my logic is the following:
for me it should stay fixed at least because i only have 1 column in all views (the 'name' column), always
i never use any other columns. and luckily, i never see the columns header

this shifting doesn't feel right. there's no reason for its existence. it doesn't add any useful possibilities. and i still don't know which setting exactly is responsible for this shifting
maybe it's related to these commands: 'line numbers #361', 'show line numbers #406', 'set line number columns width #378'

in the 'show columns #382' i have: 1.name (ticked), 2.index (unticked), 3.path (unticked), 4-24.all unticked

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

If you only ever display one column in all of your views why would you even switch between list and details???
Make either one your standard view and stick to it.
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

RalphM wrote:If you only ever display one column in all of your views why would you even switch between list and details???
Make either one your standard view and stick to it.
Good point! :tup:

But anyway, I got curious as to why is that so and saw that I just as well could remove that little difference. So now everybody will be happy. Next beta...

suslo

Post by suslo »

I just as well could remove that little difference
19.00.0010: now i don't see that difference, thank you
why would you even switch between list and details???
brilliant and constantly useful 'branch view' option is the answer
the branch view with the 64-pixel indention, with path (ascending) and with the details view

i cannot have it all in the list view. i also cannot use just the branch/details view. so i switch between them very often
i even have the F12 button for this. it invokes this script:

Code: Select all

IF(get("View")!=0){
  #311;
  #370;
  #302;
  }
  ELSE{
  #311;
  }
which allows me to switch to branch/details view from list view
and simultaneously this code hides the very unwanted 'path' column which unfortunately always appears
(i really wish it never appeared but i don't know if it's possible)

this code also allows me to switch back to list view from branch/details view (using the same keyboard button)
i don't think that there could be better idea but if somebody has it, please let me know

suslo

Post by suslo »

RalphM
i got your idea completely now. these your words confused me:
Make either one your standard view and stick to it
because i obviously cannot choose the list view as my standard view
i can only choose the details view as my standard view

but it all doesn't matter because the new beta solved the whole problem

suslo

Post by suslo »

1) i was feeling that something is wrong with the RalphM's idea, that it is not suitable for me, and i recollected why:
i even cannot choose the details view as my standard view because this way i see all the content of navigation panel displayed vertically (not horizontally), with vertical scroll bar (not horizontal scroll bar)
and this is absolutely not appropriate way of displaying the content of navigation panel (it's good for branch view, it's bad outside branch view)

2)
Maybe it's an old Windows bug in your Win 2003 Server?
it seems that your assumption is not correct. there's some related info: link-1, link-2
for example, link-2 contains this:
operating systems such as Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7 sort numerals in folder and file names according to their numeric value

3) the 'path' column unfortunately auto-appears each time i switch from list view to branch+details view
that's why i have to add the #370 to the code posted above. but in this case i always see the unwanted flickering
is it possible to customize xyplorer so that it never displayed the 'path' column?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

2) Well, maybe the sort order is different again in Win8 and later.
3) Path column is essential in Branch View. You cannot remove it.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

FYI: Since I have Win 10 now, I can confirm that something changed here in the sort algorithm, even compared to Win8.1. They seem to change sorting with each new release...

suslo

Post by suslo »

there is a noticeable inconvenience related to branch view, and i would like to know if there is a way to change the behavior of xy. example:

views: details + branch view
sort by path ascending
columns: name
natural numeric sort order: disabled
the "config > branch view > auto-refresh" option may be enabled or disabled (there is no difference in this situation)
10 folders, 20 files:
1994 - album-4
         1.cue
         1.flac
1995 - album-6
         1.cue
         1.flac
1997 - album-8
         1.cue
         1.flac
1998 - album-10
         1.cue
         1.flac
2000 - album-12
         1.cue
         1.flac
2002 - album-14
         1.cue
         1.flac
2004 - album-16
         1.cue
         1.flac
2005 - album-18
         1.cue
         1.flac
2010 - album-19
         1.cue
         1.flac
2011 - album-20
         1.cue
         1.flac
1) i rename the "2004 - album-16" folder to "1984 - album-2" and press enter

2) the view gets auto-updated (the "1984 - album-2" folder is placed at the very top)

(question-1: is there a way to disable this auto-updating in branch view? even if the sort is by path)

after auto-update: the selection unwantedly stays at the line where the "2004 - album-16" folder was placed
and thus the "2002 - album-14" folder gets auto-selected (though it was not involved into the renaming process)

this auto-selected folder is now placed at the line where the "2004 - album-16" folder was placed (before it was renamed) and this is seemingly the reason why the "2002 - album-14" folder gets auto-selected
but i cannot recollect a single situation when this behavior was useful and convenient for me
instead i always need to have the selection belonging to the just renamed folder

especially because a renamed folder goes out of the view very seldom (when the whole content of branch view doesn't fit the screen vertically)
so in these cases i don't see the renamed folder and i don't immediately know where it is now

the "go to previous item in list" command (#535) helps a little but it is not a full-value solution
i realize that current behavior has its advantage (the whole view stays stable) but here is the question-2 anyway:
is it possible to have the renamed folder selected?