Can XY start Bitlocker?

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
alternety

Can XY start Bitlocker?

Post by alternety »

Looking for an answer of a strange happening. I have no idea if XY actually triggered something. Something is trying to start Bitlocker and I can't stop it. Any insight appreciated.

I was just doing normal things and suddenly I was at 100% cpu. I went on and on. From task manager, it appeared to me to by XY using the cpu (not sure - in panic mode at the time). I uninstalled XY, and the cpu use stopped. Now when I try to get to my drives with explorer, I get a popup that says it is going to install Bitlocker and wants me to choose a way to unlock this drive. Choice is a password and a second entry of the password. The other choice is a smart card. Since I have no idea what card they are talking about. This leaves psws. I am seriously scared to give it passwords. I have no idea what is going to happen.

A further strangeness is the things seem to run if I don't use explorer to look at them or try to access anything. An infection is certainly a possibility, but neither Malwarebytes not Bitdefender have found anything.

This could lock all my drives. From the time it has already spent, I suspect all or most of the drives have been encrypted.

Anyone have any idea what this might be and how to fix it?

admin
Site Admin

Re: Can XY start Bitlocker?

Post by admin »

Well, no. XY does not do this.