Show edit with notepad++ on the right click menu

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
unabatedshagie

Show edit with notepad++ on the right click menu

Post by unabatedshagie »

I open a lot of stuff in Notepad++ daily, it's mildly annoying having to select show 64-bit context menu then select edit with notepad++.

Is it possible to move it into the initial right click menu?

highend

Re: Show edit with notepad++ on the right click menu

Post by highend »

If it doesn't install a 32-bit shell extension (and it doesn't seem to do so by default) your options are
Configuration | Other | Shell Integration | 64-bit Windows | Show the 64-bit context menu

or e.g.:
http://www.tucows.com/preview/375525/Fast-Explorer
(this is a manual way!)
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

AFAIK the 32- and 64-bit ctx-menues are populated automatically depending on the bitness of the application, which would mean you can't have an entry for your 64-bit NP++ in the 32-bit menue but you could either install the 32-bit version of NP++ which I assume would put an entry in the 32-bit menue or you make an entry in the Open With / POM menue somewhere along the lines of the following entry I use for PSPad on my system:

Code: Select all

xys>C:\Program Files (x86)\PSPad\PSPad.exe
You just would need to get used to rely on POM instead of the ctx-menue but since it comes with some other nice tricks you'll probably not going to miss the ctx-menue anymore after a while.
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

unabatedshagie

Post by unabatedshagie »

Okay, this is weird.

I do have the 32-bit version of Notepad++ installed so I'm not quite sure why it's showing in the 64-bit menu.

highend

Post by highend »

I do have the 32-bit version of Notepad++ installed so I'm not quite sure why it's showing in the 64-bit menu
Very unlikely that the 32-bit version tries to register a 64-bit extension but not a 32-bit one...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

VeeGee

Post by VeeGee »

Good afternoon all,
I use NPP quite a bit as well and wanted it displayed in my context menu at all times. I have NPP x86 installed on a Windows 10 x64 machine. I applied a small registry change and it now displays no matter what context menu I have selected :
P1.png
P1.png (7.39 KiB) Viewed 6591 times
Here is the REG snippet. Save this text as NPP.REG on your machine. Edit the path if necessary. Once done, double-click it to merge with your registry (at your own risk).

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Edit with Notepad++]
"Icon"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Notepad++\\notepad++.exe"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Edit with Notepad++\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Notepad++\\notepad++.exe\" \"%1\""
After merging, you should see the Edit with Notepad++ in your context menu. I don't recall if you need to reboot or not for it to show up.

Mosed

Post by Mosed »

Would it not be the best option to simply show 32 & 64 bit Kontext menu entries in one menu at once?
Perhaps customizeable which entries you want to see.

I recognized now that several of the entries from the context menu shown in the explorer are in xyplorer only visible in the 64bit menu.
Important is notepad++, but at least here is a solution shown for this topic. :)

Or simpy using only 64bit menu if the 32 bit entries (from xyplorer) are not needed...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The shell context menu is owned by Windows, and Windows is careful not to mix up the two bitness worlds.
Mosed wrote: 18 Jan 2022 21:37 Would it not be the best option to simply show 32 & 64 bit Kontext menu entries in one menu at once?
Would be nice but is not possible. Well, not easily possible. I could emulate the shell context menu by looking into registry myself. But this is not one of my life plans at the moment.