can I use jpeg files as folder thumbnail?

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
JustMe

can I use jpeg files as folder thumbnail?

Post by JustMe »

I occasionally create or download photos with jpeg extension. They don't show up as the folder thumbnail. Is there some setting to allow this?
I know that jpg and png work. But not jpeg. Thanks.

klownboy

Re: can I use jpeg files as folder thumbnail?

Post by klownboy »

I don't believe there's a setting you've missed. The order of precedence for showing folder thumbnails is as follows and it's hardcoded:
1) desktop.ini / [ViewState] Logo=
2) folder.jpg
3) folder.png
4) folder.gif
5) *.jpg/*.png (alphabetically first JPG, if none then first PNG)
6) desktop.ini / [.ShellClassInfo] IconFile=
With a tiny bit of work, you can rename those file extensions to jpg (it works) or you can specify that jpeg file for the Logo in a desktop.ini file. That also works. See these two threads for further information. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17011&p=146280&hili ... pg#p146280 and viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13282&hilit=desktop.ini
Also take a look at the Thumbnail Viewer Gallery script here viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15319

Edit: Actually this is the script I wanted you to look at more so than the one immediately above. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15509 This script will generate thumbnails for all your subfolders (not files) under the current folder in a "Zoom to Fill" mode. I have another version where you pick the image you want as the folder.jpg file as opposed to having the script select it randomly from the folder.
Windows 11, 23H2 Build 22631.3447 at 100% 2560x1440

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I'll add support for jpeg to the next beta.

JustMe

Post by JustMe »

Thanks @klownboy for your detailed reply and scripts. Don't know if I'll get into scripting yet.
Thanks @admin for adding jpeg!! :D