Multiple user support for tag database

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
ArminG

Multiple user support for tag database

Post by ArminG »

Hi,

I´m searching a programm, which supports tagging of files to create a kind of knowledge database.
As I want to use it for a team, it is neccessary to have one common database for the tags.
I installed the free portable version for some tests at home. So, it is possible to open the programm on different computers at the same time. But as I found out, the tags are saved only while exiting the program. This means, the tags of the person who saves last will be saved. The tags created by an other person in the meantime (who saved earlier) will get overwritten, as they use the same tag.dat.
The option "allow multiple instances" works on one computer only. Even if the option is disabled, it is possible to open it on multiple computers on the same time.

Is there an possibity to get a kind of multi-user support (maybe pro edition or server edition (is there one?) supports it)?
Or if not, maybe a kind of setting, that enables only one instance in write mode and the other instances with a warning by opening in read only mode for tagging only?

jupe

Re: Multiple user support for tag database

Post by jupe »

Partially, in the full version, you could have one main account that is able to create & save tags, and then the other users could view the tags but not save them to the shared db themselves, or they could but it would probably create issues.

For more information:
https://www.xyplorer.com/faq-topic.php?id=MUT

ArminG

Post by ArminG »

Thank you for your fast help.
This means I would have to point out one person for creating the tags.

But what happens, if persons who are not allowed to create tags, move files from one directory to another?
Normally no problem while doing it in XYplorer. Doing it without rights for creating tags might destroy the tag-links as the paths in the tag.dat cannot be changed?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

ArminG wrote:Is there an possibity to get a kind of multi-user support (maybe pro edition or server edition (is there one?) supports it)?
This is planned since long, but it's quite an effort to implement it in a satisfying way. I might have a chance to give it a shot in 2018.

cadu

Post by cadu »

This is planned since long, but it's quite an effort to implement it in a satisfying way. I might have a chance to give it a shot in 2018.

Hi. Just following up this development. I'm quite interested in this use case.
Will we see multi-user tag soon?
Thank you!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

:) Yes, this is always in the pipeline and never gets out... can't give a date but it's certainly still alive.

cadu

Post by cadu »

admin wrote: 24 Nov 2018 11:45 :) Yes, this is always in the pipeline and never gets out... can't give a date but it's certainly still alive.
All the best with multi-user tag database development!
If you need beta-testing for that in the future, I'm available at any time.

JLoftus

Post by JLoftus »

Another aspect to shared tags, is when you not only have a shared location (example, NAS with files to be tagged by more than one user), but also local files that need tagging too:
tags.png
tags.png (39.24 KiB) Viewed 1419 times
So in this example, both the laptop and the desktop each have files that need their own unique tags, but both machines access a shared (NAS) resource, with tags both users need to be able to read and modify.

Issues not only include locking/contention, but also multiple locations.

Something like an #include syntax could address the shared location, however that doesn't address locking, and also presents a problem of XY needing to know where to write the tags to (local "main" tag.dat or "#include tag.dat)

Right now there's no way to handle MUT (Multi-User Tags) which addresses locking or merging edits (first save overwrites).