AHK script problem

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
kunkel321

AHK script problem

Post by kunkel321 »

A bit off-topic here, but not totally. I have an AutoHotkey script with a bunch of tools always running in the background on my Windows 10 laptop. It mostly gets used for text-expansion hotstings, but there's also a script to insert today's date with the hotsting ";d0" When using xplorer, I often use Details View, and create new text docs or folders right in the pane, then rename them in-line. I often embed today's date into the name of the new file or folder.

Unfortunately, for the last month or so, my hotstings are not always triggering their scripts like they should. The problem is not exclusive to xyplorer though! It also occurs in Word 2016. The problem does occur more frequently in xyplorer though. Interestingly, it does not occur in Windows Explorer, xplorer2 or TotalCommander.

So for the AHK pros here: Any idea how I can either fix this, or at least isolate the problem, such that I can offer a useful bug report to the AHK developers. (Here is the forum post over there: https://autohotkey.com//boards/viewtopi ... =5&t=43809)
ste(phen|ve) kunkel

highend

Re: AHK script problem

Post by highend »

for the last month or so
To see if XY is really (one of the) culprit(s), try versions that are older than a month. Does it happen there as well?

If it stops freaking out I'd admit that the applications have something to do with it.

If it doesn' stop, try older AHK releases. If it still doesn't stop, I'd ask myself, which updates fu**** up your Win 10 OS :mrgreen:
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

kunkel321

Post by kunkel321 »

Thanks for the feedback Highend! Your recommendation seems to have paid off. With older versions of xyplorer the problem was still there, but with older versions of AutoHotkey the problem seemed to go away. Odd that the problem mostly (but not exclusively) occurs with xyplorer though. Any thoughts on xy's scripting abilities to help debug for the AHK people? Or are there just too many variables to look at?

(Note also that I still need to use the older version of AHK for a few days to ensure that the problem doesn't resurface.)
ste(phen|ve) kunkel

highend

Post by highend »

How do you want to debug something with XY scripting commands that is done by an external application? :mrgreen:

The only thing that I can think of XY wise is:
Configuration | Find and Filter | Filters & Type Ahead Find

Especially Type ahead find and / or the redirecting to the live filter box so I'd try to disable
Configuration | Find and Filter | Filters & Type Ahead Find | Type Ahead Find | Enable type ahead find
or (as a smaller step)
Configuration | Find and Filter | Filters & Type Ahead Find | Type Ahead Find | Redirect typing to Live Filter Box

and see if it still happens, when they are (both) deactivated...

Apart from that, which AHK version does work correctly and what does it's successor changelog state regarding hotstrings?

kunkel321

Post by kunkel321 »

highend wrote:How do you want to debug something with XY scripting commands that is done by an external application? :mrgreen:
Hey, you code wizards do magic all the time!

Seriously though, the older version of AHK is having problems also now. ~however~ A new post on the other forum suggested that if AutoHotkey is not running as Administrator, then certain automations to other applications won't work, if the other app IS running as administrator. Sure enough, I do have xy running as Administrator. Running my ahk script as administrator does seemed to have fixed this. Time will tell if it's a permanent fix, or a temporary one.
ste(phen|ve) kunkel

highend

Post by highend »

That doesn't really explain why it is working sometimes. If it is a permission problem it would always fail...