can i import a totolcommander list of files?

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
bdeshi

Re: can i import a totolcommander list of files?

Post by bdeshi »

Are you just trying to run the DropList script from scripts-exchange? Simply follow the instructions there, thanks.
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

bdeshi

Post by bdeshi »

There are so many ways to run scripts!

But first of all, there is one main difference: you run either a script CODE or a script FILE.

You can run script code from Menu > Scripting > Run Script.
And if you have a script file, you can run it from the addressbar, like this:

Code: Select all

::load "path\to\script-file.xys";
In fact, this line itself is a script. You can run this from Menu > Script if you want. On the flip side, you can also run larger script code from the addressbar as well (or most other places that accept a location really). Just prepend the code with "::" (that's why I typed "::load ...")

Okay, now, there are mainly four other common methods of running scripts codes/files both:
the catalog, custom toolbar buttons (CTB), user-defined commands (UDC) and the portable open-with menu/portable file associations (POM/PFA).

1. Catalog : add a new item to the catalog. Set the Action on click field to "Go to Location". Then enter your script in the Location box. As with addressbar, you can run a script file here with "::load ...".
Note the Edit button: this lets you enter large script code just like in Menu > Scripting.
Then click the catalog item to run that script.

2. CTB : right-click toolbar > customize. Add a new User Button. Right click that button. Enter scripts in the Left-click/Right-click boxes. Again, note the Edit button.
These scripts run on left-click and right-click on the button, obviously.

3. UDC : Menu > User > Manage Commands. This lets you associate scripts with keyboard shortcuts.
There are two categorical choices:
The Run Script category: Add a new item, and enter you script in the Scripts box.
The Load Script File category: This lets you simply give the path to a script file to run. Add new item, type the path (just the path, no ::load needed) in Script File.
Scripts saved here are show up under Menu > User submenus.

4. POM/PFA: Scripting is not the main focus of this feature. But I mention this because PFA lets lets you run script files automatically.
Note that this does not check if the loaded script file is dangerous in any way.
Tools > Customize File Associations. Click New, and type this in the new empty textbox:

"&Load|<xy>" xys>::load "<pfaitem>";
Now when you try to open a script file with the *.xys extension, it will be loaded directly.

-- -- --
In the forum, scripts are usually published as xys files. You generally place that file to <xyscripts>. (Type <xyscripts> in the addressbar and you will get there).
Some script are also posted as code only. It's usually okay to save the code as a script file in <xyscripts>. You must the read the entire post where the script is published anyway, to know how to install and run it properly.

-- -- --
Whew! if you read through all that carefully, you should have a working knowledge of running scripts. At this point, you should continue to read more about the relevant topics in the help file. Open the help file, open the Index tab at the right of the help window, and type these topics, to begin with.

User buttons
UDC
POM
PFA
Catalog
Scripting
Explore and learn more. :whistle:
Icon Names | Onyx | Undocumented Commands | xypcre
[ this user is asleep ]

jupe

Post by jupe »

Usually people learn things from the help file provided with the program, it would probably be a good place for you to start looking.

Step 1) Press Ctrl+G
Step 2) Enter the following text in the dialog that pops up
  • ::rtfm "idh_scripting.htm";