Categories for Favorite files ?

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
CookieMonster

Categories for Favorite files ?

Post by CookieMonster »

Is it possible to have categories for favorite files ?

highend

Re: Categories for Favorite files ?

Post by highend »

Not without scripting
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

CookieMonster

Post by CookieMonster »

You know if such script exists ?

highend

Post by highend »

Afaik no. At least not one that makes it comfortable to add / remove selected items
to specific categories (and imho anything else than that doesn't make much sense)

totmad1

Post by totmad1 »

Have a look at the image it shows sorted list and inserted items with "Group.ico".
Icon file is also contained in zip file.
popup.zip
(63.16 KiB) Downloaded 199 times
totmad1 (totally mad one)

CookieMonster

Post by CookieMonster »

Within a Favorite Files or Favorite Folder list I add within quotes; "One|<iconFile.ico>" with a pipe between the icon name and the name of the category ?
I tried what I mentioned but I don't see the Category listed for the Favorite File or Favorite Folder ?

totmad1

Post by totmad1 »

I am starting to question if I have understood what you are wanting.
If I am on the track then I am hoping the zip file linked below may help.
It shows in 'popupAltered.jpg' the highlighted print ' "fourth|Group.ico" '.
You can also see this in ' fourth-Group.ico_.txt'.
when you go to use favorite files, you should see as shown 'favFilesAltered.jpg'

If this is not what you are looking for please let us know.
totmad1 (totally mad one)

CookieMonster

Post by CookieMonster »

From what I understand. To create a group for Favorite Folders or Favorite Files I create the following within List Management > Favorite Files or Favorite Folders;
"<Name of Group>|<iconFile.ico>"
Rather then getting a group so to speak, I get the following instead of an icon and the name of the group when viewed within the favorite folder list rather I get in this example; "NewFolderforFolders|<iconfile.ico>" the icon file isn't visible and the pipe and the ico extension is visible ?

highend

Post by highend »

<iconfile.ico>
Only that this is a name for an icon (file), that can't even exist...

CookieMonster

Post by CookieMonster »

Only that this is a name for an icon (file), that can't even exist...
I was using that as an quasi-example. I didn't literally use that command for an icon file; rather "groupa.ico" (omitting the quotes) but it doesn't work ?

highend

Post by highend »

Post the damn real full text you've used and prove that that icon really exists in the correct path...

CookieMonster

Post by CookieMonster »

Code: Select all

"first|grpa.ico"

CookieMonster

Post by CookieMonster »

I think I may have found a bug. Totmad1 solution worked as long as you go to Favorites > Favorite Files. If you add a favorite files icon to the toolbar instead of seeing the correct way as shown by visiting Favorites > Favorite Files you strictly see the code as applied from within Tools > List Management > Favorite Files.

Also no would knows how rather then the method presented in this thread; how I can create expandable menu groups whereas I can put favorite files or folders without having a long list ?

highend

Post by highend »

By writing a script. Already mentioned in the first answer...

jupe

Post by jupe »

CookieMonster wrote:instead of seeing the correct way as shown by visiting Favorites > Favorite Files you strictly see the code
if I understand you correctly you can get it to display as you want with the icon by just adding another char, for example a period e.g:

"first|grpa.ico".
probably better to do it this way though:

"first|grpa.ico"::end 1;
CookieMonster wrote:Also no would knows how rather then the method presented in this thread; how I can create expandable menu groups whereas I can put favorite files or folders without having a long list ?
As you have already been informed, there are many ways to do this via scripting, but I have an idea for very basic and easy implementation of what you want, requiring minimal scripting, you probably won't be satisfied with it but I will explain the steps to you in case you are.
  1. open your text editor with a blank document
  2. find the files you want to add to a certain category in XY
  3. select the file(s) or folders and either press Ctrl+P or File | To Clipboard | Item Path/Name(s)
  4. then back in your text editor Press Ctrl+V and repeat this until you get all the items you want for a category
  5. select in XY the scripting Menu | Goto scripts folder
  6. select all the text in your text editor and click and drag it to the open scripts folder, then give it a name, and change the extension to xys
  7. now create a category in favorite files to open the file you just created it should look like below, if you named the file cat1.xys:
  8. "Category1|smiley.ico"::load "cat1.xys";
I have attached a test file as an example template that shows how it should look, folders need no editing to be opened in XY, but if you don't modify the lines to match like the last 2 examples in my file they will be opened/executed instead of navigated to, I used a few target files from the windows dir that should exists on your computer too in my example template file so you can download it to see if you are happy with the results, obviously these menus will not be nested, the original main favorites menu will disappear when you click on the category and you will get your category menu displayed by itself, if that is satisfactory for you.

So if you want to try it out, download the attachment to your XY data\scripts folder and if you keep it called cat1.xys you can insert the item in Favorites like number 8 above, to test it out.
Attachments
cat1.xys
(570 Bytes) Downloaded 104 times